Why BIN and then not pay?

Apr 11, 2008
Is anyone else TIRED of people who do BIN on a spur of the moment, and then never pay? Then you have to wait a week and a half to relist and start all over again? It's one thing to get all caught up in an auction and then not pay. Maybe they overbid, found something else by the end...lots of reasons I could see they might not pay (none valid, but lots of reasons.) If you hit BIN, just pay or don't do it!

Ugh. A lady just did it on 2 auctions of mine. 2 pairs of CLs, and she was international, which I don't allow, but did not block them. (I also forgot to add PAY IMMEDIATELY feature, but I will when I relist!)

Since the feedback for buyers went away, they have no fear of just re-negging when ever they please. And yet if you don't ship 5 minutes after they pay, they will neg you. So unfair.

Ebay should be ashamed of what they are doing. I think this new business model won't move them forward at all. I think it just eliminates the reason they were successful to begin with...the unique nature of what they were. You can buy crap anywhere online. Buying other people's crap...now that was unique and why they flourished.

You should require immediate payment when people BIN. There is a little box you can click for it underneath your paypal ID on the listing page. That's what I do so I don't have to wait for them to pay and if they don't pay right away, then they don't get to BIN because the item remains up there for sale until they pay!!!

Grr! Do not EVEN get me started on eBay's buyer versus seller policies!!!!!!!

As for why people do this, who knows. I think sometimes it's the closest people think they can get to actually owning the item, and they honestly get a little rush from doing a BIN, even if they have zero intentions of actually following through. People are weird...

Is anyone else TIRED of people who do BIN on a spur of the moment, and then never pay? Then you have to wait a week and a half to relist and start all over again? It's one thing to get all caught up in an auction and then not pay. Maybe they overbid, found something else by the end...lots of reasons I could see they might not pay (none valid, but lots of reasons.) If you hit BIN, just pay or don't do it!

Ugh. A lady just did it on 2 auctions of mine. 2 pairs of CLs, and she was international, which I don't allow, but did not block them. (I also forgot to add PAY IMMEDIATELY feature, but I will when I relist!)

Since the feedback for buyers went away, they have no fear of just re-negging when ever they please. And yet if you don't ship 5 minutes after they pay, they will neg you. So unfair.

Ebay should be ashamed of what they are doing. I think this new business model won't move them forward at all. I think it just eliminates the reason they were successful to begin with...the unique nature of what they were. You can buy crap anywhere online. Buying other people's crap...now that was unique and why they flourished.

Did you file the non-paying bidder form? You can do that after four days. Then you can relist it. and get your money back, and it goes on their record. (maybe you already know this stuff.. ?) Anyway, I"m all for doing this immediately, especially now that it's the only way we have of protecting ourselves and the selling community as a whole.

I don't get it. I always pay within minutes since I can't wait to get my item!

Me too! And as a buyer, usually I've put a lot of thought into going ahead with the BIN (not wanting to take a chance in losing the auction, making sure I have enough money to pay, etc) so I always pay right away!!
And usually the seller ships it the next day.

But I think there's a ton of people who play around and buy and bid on things for the thrill of it. And OMG, when they actually win it, they're so surprised, and to top it off, they have to pay for it!!

I agreed, i was just the victim of non paying bidder just recently. After hit the buying button, the next morning buyer messaged me wanting to mutually cancel the transaction. I had to wait for a week to file in ebay resolution and wait 4 days to close the case then relist. It's a waist of time and effort and money of course

ebay should hold buyers more responsible for paying
i've had BIN where i've accepted offers only to get messages saying they dont want it anymore
the best one was "my son got into my ebay and i'd like to cancel his order"
i hate that sellers have to pay to relist it too, even though it was the buyers fault, thats why you go through 2 pages to confirm a bid or purchase. all those 50 cent listings add up =(

Hmm do you mean not paying completely or not paying immediately?

If you mean not paying completely then the likely story is they dont have the money but hit the BIN on the spur of the moment. I have been in a very similar situation although I have always paid and kept the item and just lived with the fact I was short of money for the rest of the month.

Not paying immediately its possible that they have maybe bought it on their phone and couldnt pay until they got to a computer (I dont know if thats the case though, I have never bought anything from my phone). Also perhaps the buyer bought the item again on the spur of the moment because they were scared someone else might buy it but had to move some money around first. I did this once and thankfully Yoogis were very accommdating. Usually I will ask a seller first if I can pay in x amount of time from pressing buy since its only fair.

Annoyingly there are people out there with compulsive orders to buy off ebay and then make up stupid stories as to why they cant pay!! "My dog bidded on the item as he really wanted a handbag to be carried around in but I decided it wasnt quite his colour so please can I cancel" :P

That drives me craaaaazy when people do not pay right away:smile:
when i decide to get something of ebay - i want it bad - so i pay RIGHT away and recently i had at least 4 non payers! why even bother bidding then?? The worst is they were all from UK, and i love UK - but seriously UK blacklisted me or something lol

anyways if i have BIN i always do pay immediately button check
if its an auction - i give people 3 days - after that - i file nonpayer right away, especially if they dont respond for 48 hours. After all, i am not a credit card company - if i am willing to ship within 48 hours - a buyer should really pay within 48 hours