why are the Nikki's on ebay so expensive?

glammm

Jun 27, 2008
This is more of a rant then a question! I have been looking for a black nikki for atleast 3 weeks now. I do not have any RM bags, but fell in love with the "slouchyness" of the Nikki. It reminded me of my broken in Balenciaga bags. I have been checking ebay for the last three weeks with the hopes of finding a Nikki at a discounted/decent price since. I cant justify spending $600 on a RM bag when I can get a Balenciaga for a mere $395.00 more.

Why are the Nikki's so expensive on ebay? I am going to ebay with the hopes of finding a deal, but If I am going to spend $500+ on one, I RATHER go get a brand new one that no ones touched for a $100 more. I know the market drives up the price and if people are willing to pay $500 for one, then more power to them. But, the Morning After bags are decently priced, the Nikki's not so much.

Any idea where I can get a discounted one? I dont want to spend retail on a bag I have no experience with. Perhaps once I get into RM, I will have NO problem plunking down $600, but for right now, I dont want to spend that much on an unfamiliar brand.

Thanks for reading!:P

starryviolet

Jan 10, 2008
the nikki is one of the more popular RM styles. lunaboston recently had a code for 20% off including RM nikkis which made them $480.

i would also check for upcoming sample sales. at the last one the nikkis were under $400.

few823

Obsessed
Nov 22, 2007
Washington DC
Like shopbop said - it's just one of the more popular styles. I think if you are just patient and keep your eyes peeled for one, you'll get lucky. I just got a black nikki for $415 - which to me is a really good price since they rarely go on sale.....

Good luck!!

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
I completely agree. There's a Wine Nikki listed for $610 (above retail) and I don't care to hear about the Live.com crap.....it's still HIGH for what it is.

I'm reluctant to pay full price for a new bag and so, why would I pay ABOVE that for one that's been used?? I don't care if it's never been worn, fact is, someone bought it and has carried it around.....at least at home.

And the crazy thing is, many of the sellers are PF members. I'm tired of hearing about the color being "rare" etc.....I don't buy that anymore either.

Contessa

O.G.
Sep 25, 2007
Full price for these "rare" items is a joke. But these auctions prey on those who are desperate and "worried" that if they don't get this "rare" bag, it's gone for good, which is insane.

Besides, if I miss the chance on one RARE item, something will come along to replace it soon enough.....and usually it's better.

MrsShoeGal

O.G.
Sep 11, 2006
West Coast
Supply = Demand. The nikki is the most popular style. Price is determined by whatever people will pay. There have been brand new black nikkis on ebay for 525.00 plus with 8% off that's 483.00.

glammm

Jun 27, 2008
So sellers are listing their bags with the live cashback in mind? I sell on ebay and I DO NOT price my auctions according to the live cashback deal. I think thats stupid IMO. Has anyone even gotten payment from them yet? also, I dont dont want to wait 60 days to get a "refund" I rather just NOT pay the "full asking price" and rather "get my discount ahead of time" if that makes sense. In my opinion RM bags are over priced, considering all of the time I have spent reading about quality issues. And I agree with the above mentioned, that if I wanted to pay over retail or close to retail for a bag thats been worn, I might as well pay the full price and purchase one that has not been touched by anyone, let alone sitting in someones home god knows in what condition/environment.

glammm

Jun 27, 2008
Supply = Demand. The nikki is the most popular style. Price is determined by whatever people will pay. There have been brand new black nikkis on ebay for 525.00 plus with 8% off that's 483.00.

well, I guess all the Nikki's that I am seeing listed over and over without any bids really reflects this.

amjac2wm

Bal Love Re-ignited!
O.G.
Feb 3, 2008
New York, NY
So sellers are listing their bags with the live cashback in mind? I sell on ebay and I DO NOT price my auctions according to the live cashback deal. I think thats stupid IMO. Has anyone even gotten payment from them yet? also, I dont dont want to wait 60 days to get a "refund" I rather just NOT pay the "full asking price" and rather "get my discount ahead of time" if that makes sense. In my opinion RM bags are over priced, considering all of the time I have spent reading about quality issues. And I agree with the above mentioned, that if I wanted to pay over retail or close to retail for a bag thats been worn, I might as well pay the full price and purchase one that has not been touched by anyone, let alone sitting in someones home god knows in what condition/environment.

To be honest, it really depends on the rarity of the Nikki bag. An older style nikki (for instance, old hardware chocolate) would probably command retail or above retail, even if it has been used. People are collecting Rebecca Minkoff bag colors similar to the way Balenciaga bags are collected. And a lot of older and rare Bbags in used condition are going for over $2k! As MSG stated, it really is about supply and demand. A lot of the older style nikkis are almost non-existent, so of course sellers are going to drive up the price. It's not wrong, it's just the way things work. And if someone wants the bag badly enough, they will pay the seller's asking price. If not, they'll move on.

tatertot

~Happy Tot~
O.G.
Oct 18, 2006
Great Lakes
^^ ITA! I saw a used Nikki go for 825 BIN on Feebay and I about fell out of my chair:faint::faint:. The value truly lies in the eye of the beholder and if you must have it you'll pay the price (at least the seller hopes). I think w/ the gain in popularity that RM has had many people are collectingcertain colors and years as they do B bags. For me I pay over retail for a B bag if I really want it and it cannot be found anywhere else, carried or not:yes:. It is a personal preference as to how much you are willing to pay but if you are just looking for a deal be patient. There are some great codes and good deals posted, you just have to be quick:smile:.

Desi

O.G.
Dec 19, 2007
Alpharetta, GA
^^ ITA! I saw a used Nikki go for 825 BIN on Feebay and I about fell out of my chair:faint::faint:. The value truly lies in the eye of the beholder and if you must have it you'll pay the price (at least the seller hopes). I think w/ the gain in popularity that RM has had many people are collectingcertain colors and years as they do B bags. For me I pay over retail for a B bag if I really want it and it cannot be found anywhere else, carried or not:yes:. It is a personal preference as to how much you are willing to pay but if you are just looking for a deal be patient. There are some great codes and good deals posted, you just have to be quick:smile:.
Agreed. I paid retail for my dark grey nikki, and it was used and broken in. but none the less, worth every penny.

lovebags2

O.G.
Oct 12, 2007
Desi, I agree with you on this point. Although, some bags, I don't feel merit the price, I've learned my Nikki's are worth every penny! :tup: