Why are people so intiminated by LV SA?

I don't know if it's only me or something....but they're pretty rude here in Singapore. Especially if you're Asian. (The SAs in San Francisco were lovely to me...)

But hey..come to think of it...Those SAs are Asians too.

I have no idea what are they thinking... :shrugs:

i've in general received pretty good service at nearly all the LVs i've been to but i mainly go to one SA now who has also introduced me to her Manager and another SA in the event she's not around (all of which i really love).

i do admit that there are some SAs who are quite cold, aloof and standoffish. i recall once there was one who didn't give me the time of day considering i walked in with blue hair, casual clothes and tattoos on my arm and back. she kind of glared at me and didn't want to help on me (and vice versa mind you). i actually stood around and looked at bags from afar and observed all the different SAs personalities and attitudes (both good and bad) and then finally decided to ask help from one that i saw was giving really good service. she is my SA to this day!

so my story is, you don't have to settle for the SA that approaches you, you can/should approach the one you think would best suit your needs and personality by observing how they are with others. of course this works best in a store that is really busy where you can observe without being approached to first. and if you do get approached first, then just say you're still looking and keep on observing until you find one that's great.

i agree with the many here who say that for every one 1 bad egg of an SA, there are about 10 fab ones!

Most of LV SAs are nice and friendly and always welcome customers. Moreover, they know what each model named call. I always visit Chanel and LV Boutiques, I found LV boutique SAs are much more better. Chanel SAs here in UK sometimes they didn't know what each model named. By telling the model name and color is not enough. You have to explain it again and again or find them in the catalogue.

Honestly, I'm a big fan of Chanel bag but many times I have to deal with the bad SAs to get what I want. I'm not happy as am in LV boutiques.

Anyway, there is a quite old tiny lady LV SA who is always looks down on Asian people like me and I hate her. I felt bad every time I met her and always went to another boutique to buy what I want.

I am definetly not intimidated by them. Maybe the first time I went in I was a little 'afraid' I wouldn't be taken seriously because I don't dress like a millionaire or anything. But I've since learned...it doesn't matter what you wear, your skin color, or your age....we should all be treated equally.
If I were to get rude service...I would not hesitate to complain on the spot (I do this with fast food restaurants....why not LV?) and then call corporate!

These are 'retail sales associates' you're talking about. They're not brain surgeons or rocket scientists. Why would anyone be intimidated by someone who works in a store? I've only encountered one LV SA who was snooty and rude & I called him on it. Most others were always pleasant and helpful. It's their job to provide good customer service - not make customers feel uncomfortable.

What bugs me is the stupid, uninformed' SA's. There IS an SA in the Boston boutique who is not very bright. She's knows nothing about the names of the bags or how to check inventory. On three occasions she told me they didn't have an item that I was looking for (I called ahead each time to make sure they had what I was looking for before making the trip). Each time they did have it but I had to get a different SA to find it for me. She also told me that a certain Epi bag didn't come in the color I wanted when it did. I knew 10 times as much about the LV models than she did. This is my pet peave - when the SA doesn't know what they're talking about. Rudeness I can handle. Ignorance is annoying and a waste of time.

From one baglady to another......AMEN SISTAH! ;)

I think that mostly, it has to do with the SAs attitude.....

So in that sense, its hard for a person to deal with b/c its just so unexpected and stupid. So, alot of people just dont want to and walk out...its not like they are intimadating but more cold and unhelpful and full of arrogance at times....

Ive never had bad treatment, but they can be cold...and yes I do something about it but whether one does or not.....the atomsphere itself is soooo annoying....

I agree with the other posts that if you had good service you probably wouldn't spread the word because you expect that. But if one thing goes wrong or more, you probably tell 10 friends and post it here, right? Just human nature.

I think this is self-confidence as well, IMO. As a teen, for example, as much as I dreamed of shopping in upscale boutiques there was no way in hell I could afford any of that stuff and I probably went in with that 'vibe' so a SA wouldn't give me time of day.

^ Well. Being a teen, I am never intimidated. WE buy the bags, therefore we are ultimately "paying them." All the SA's I have met have been delightful, which is just splendid!

hmmm I'm gonna cut and paste what I said in another thread to this thread lol and i'm adding some extras in....:

I kinda have to disagree [with the generalisation that "all" SAs are bad]. I think around 60-70% of SAs are ["bad, irresponsible, clueless"...etc] but the rest are very good. It's not their fault that some of these "bad" SAs are "ignorant". In fact, in most high end boutiques, they're specifically told NOT to bother certain customers who just want to browse because it will seem as if the SA is trying to push for a sale. That's why many of them appear to be "careless". Also it would depend on the culture. My SA who's from France told me that in Europe, the SAs there seem snobby and don't greet customers, and also I know that in China, it's the same attitude, while in North America, people are more open imo. So I don't think that we should blame or target certain SAs and categorize them as good/bad when the real reason for their behaviour is due to a cultural difference.
I go to LV to shop, but at the same time, I've also "shopped for SAs". I think it's all about experience. The more you show your face and make purchases at a specific boutique, the more the SAs there will take notice of you. I must admit that my first time at LV, I was 17 and felt a bit intimidated. I did not get superbe service, but I don't think that she was specifically treating me in this manner because after all these times going back to LV, I still see the first SA who served me treat others exactly the same way. I think sometimes people become so intimidated that they become very self-conscious, they also take note of every detail and if anything goes wrong, they see it as a descrimination or prejudice made against them...

However, I think there needs to be a balance between lack of self-confidence and arrogance. I don't support the thought that "every customer is right" even though it's like the golden rule which somehow makes some people think that they are on top of the world just because they're buying something. These customers are not very educated imo because they think (spending) money allows them to look down at others. It's wrong to look down at a SA (or anyone) regardless of your social status, education, being a customer...etc.

Well in the end, experience is ultimately relative and subjective.... I may like some one and you may not. Period.

Not intimidated by them, I've had good experiences and bad. The best experience I've had was with an SA was over the phone, the worst was in Ka'anapali Maui. IMO it all depends on who you get - the service is not consistent, but I am there for a high quality bag, in the end I don't care what the attitude was of the person helping me.

well i've had good experiences with my SA...people are easy to remember bad things or bad experiences rather than the good ones. So thats why we think mostly ppl get bad experiences from LV SA, while actually still a lot of people had good experiences ;)

Ignorance is annoying and a waste of time.

ITA...
I don't know if it's only me or something....but they're pretty rude here in Singapore.

Yup, but it does depend on which Store you go to. E.G. Takashimaya LV has the WORST SAs. They look at you as if there's a fishhook stuck up their noses. I was treated very rudely on my 3rd visit to the Taka LV by a snooty SA and I just spoke to the SA beside her: "Could you serve me instead? I think your colleague is not doing a good job at making me feel welcome."

I never get that kind of crap at the other stores... but I'm sometimes at a disadvantage cus they usually allocate the LEs to Takashimaya more.... *Damn...* :Push:

But back to the topic, no I never feel intimidated by them, PO'ed definitely but I usually make sure they know what they're in for thereafter. I am always given fantastic service at the Hilton / Raffles / DFS stores... always.

And my weakness is, the nicer they are, the more they make me wanna buy more.... :Push:

ITA...

Yup, but it does depend on which Store you go to. E.G. Takashimaya LV has the WORST SAs. They look at you as if there's a fishhook stuck up their noses. I was treated very rudely on my 3rd visit to the Taka LV by a snooty SA and I just spoke to the SA beside her: "Could you serve me instead? I think your colleague is not doing a good job at making me feel welcome."

I know! The SAs in Taka are terrible!!!