Why am I annoyed with fakes?

I feel they have not earned the right to carry them.....I think we here can truly appreciate the beauty and quality, but unfortunately, the people purchasing fakes cannot and feel they are just as nice.

I so agree with you! In the end, my opinion is that it reflects poorly on them and their character, despite the luxe appearance they seek to show off.

I also am bothered by fakes. Besides the obvious reasons as cheapening the brand, seeing everyone carrying them, and supporting illegal purchases, I feel they have not earned the right to carry them. I have paid off thousands of dollars which some do not understand why I would spend so much money on handbags. I think we here can truly appreciate the beauty and quality, but unfortunately, the people purchasing fakes cannot and feel they are just as nice. I guess it is our prerogative to buy Chanel and theirs to buy the fakes. Before I purchased designer bags, I said that I would NEVER spend that kind of money, and people who did must be crazy! I used to buy other designers such as Coach and Dooney before I became interested in more expensive designers. But I did not buy fakes, because it seemed kind of shoddy. I think it would make me feel bad to carry one. Now, I have learned to wait like a spider, to save and get the Chanel, Prada, or LV bag I really want. Crazy or not, I really love and enjoy my bags, just as much as jewelry. To me, wearing fake bags is as false as wearing a fake engagement ring. But this is just my opinion. If others want to buy fakes, I don't like it, but it is their choice...

There is a spectrum here. For persons who purchase true luxury items, Chanel, Prada, LV etc are not considered quality or worth considering. Arguably, the quality of some of these designer brands pales in comparison to the quality produced by small boutique leather shops where everything is made bespoke and by hand.

While I don't support fakes at all, I think that using the justification of "I have spent more money therefore I have more class" is a fallacy one should avoid. The reality is that we may use the justification of quality to justify the insane spending on handbags but the truth is, the quality may merely be average and the reality is that most people purchase these, and the fakes, for the brand alone.

I am not bothered by people buying and carrying fake bags. They are just bags. I think I would be more annoyed if they buy firearms, to be honest.

There is a spectrum here. For persons who purchase true luxury items, Chanel, Prada, LV etc are not considered quality or worth considering. Arguably, the quality of some of these designer brands pales in comparison to the quality produced by small boutique leather shops where everything is made bespoke and by hand.

While I don't support fakes at all, I think that using the justification of "I have spent more money therefore I have more class" is a fallacy one should avoid. The reality is that we may use the justification of quality to justify the insane spending on handbags but the truth is, the quality may merely be average and the reality is that most people purchase these, and the fakes, for the brand alone.

I agree, while I still like my Chanel bags for what they are - classic and timeless pieces - I ventured into artisanal handbags over the last few years and the quality of any Chanel is subpar at best in comparison to the bags crafted in these small ateliers.

Otherwise, I couldn't care less if someone has a fake bag or not. I personally would not buy one but it is just a bag after all.

Part of being annoyed is probably because some of those bags cost less than 1/5 (or even less) of the price of the authentic bags and they look very real. This is particularly true for LV bags. I am not sure about Chanel bags, as the only fakes I saw were poor quality. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if there are good Chanel fakes our there and I'm not able to distinguish them.
:biggrin: i wonder how does a Good chanel looks like

and abt Chanel, hmm i saw some v smashed up quilts/out of shape chanel flap bags on ebay etc and i really wonder if they r fake coz they look too soft/unstructured to be real/fake becoz someone abused it....... that really turns me off though becoz they r asking for the price of real pc, maybe at 1000$ less... but if its fake its defintely overpriced!!!

for me, i keep my options open. i dont blindly follow brands. if i like a bag, even if its 50$ i will buy..... hmm as for buying Chanel, yea i bought them when they r much better in quality. Now i dont buy any Chanel anymore. Not even when i go to Paris and its abt 1-2k cheaper..... i just dont feel justified for the price vs quality. i see some of the bigger/flatter quilts from Chanel, although they maybe 30% or mroe cheaper than a Classic, i didnt buy too becoz i really cannot stand the way they r made.

Laneige said:
:biggrin: i wonder how does a Good chanel looks like

and abt Chanel, hmm i saw some v smashed up quilts/out of shape chanel flap bags on ebay etc and i really wonder if they r fake coz they look too soft/unstructured to be real/fake becoz someone abused it....... that really turns me off though becoz they r asking for the price of real pc, maybe at 1000$ less... but if its fake its defintely overpriced!!!

for me, i keep my options open. i dont blindly follow brands. if i like a bag, even if its 50$ i will buy..... hmm as for buying Chanel, yea i bought them when they r much better in quality. Now i dont buy any Chanel anymore. Not even when i go to Paris and its abt 1-2k cheaper..... i just dont feel justified for the price vs quality. i see some of the bigger/flatter quilts from Chanel, although they maybe 30% or mroe cheaper than a Classic, i didnt buy too becoz i really cannot stand the way they r made.

I have seen fake Chanel that is 98% of the real thing-- only distinguishable by handling an authentic item side by side with the fake. It would cost you about $350 to get one of these bags.

I have also seen authentication on items I know are not genuine, which is the nature of getting an Internet opinion.

pasdedeux1 said:
I have seen fake Chanel that is 98% of the real thing-- only distinguishable by handling an authentic item side by side with the fake. It would cost you about $350 to get one of these bags.

I have also seen authentication on items I know are not genuine, which is the nature of getting an Internet opinion.

Do you have any examples?

Do you have any examples?

Of which scenario?

I don't have photos of the fake with the real, but I have seen the two side by side before (a friend who admittedly researched and bought an excellent fake, next to my authentic bag)

As for the authentications of inauthentic bags, that's more an opinion than anything else. I disagree with authentications occasionally, but others have more expertise than I do.

Of which scenario?

I don't have photos of the fake with the real, but I have seen the two side by side before (a friend who admittedly researched and bought an excellent fake, next to my authentic bag)

As for the authentications of inauthentic bags, that's more an opinion than anything else. I disagree with authentications occasionally, but others have more expertise than I do.

If you said yourself not an expert in Chanel, then what gives you the right to accuse Tpf authenticators of making mistakes in the authentications ?

Fakes definitely bug me too because I think its just mean and wrong... It takes away from the designer and the beautiful things they've worked hard to create for their brand. It also takes away from us who work hard to have these things and cherish them.

It makes the brand look bad... I see some hidious fakes (I'm not good at spotting fakes but some are out of control!!) and they just make the brand look bad.

If you said yourself not an expert in Chanel, then what gives you the right to accuse Tpf authenticators of making mistakes in the authentications ?

Relax. She never mentioned these authentications were done here on tPF. And it's just one person's opinion. Personally, I have high regards of the ladies/ gentlemen on the Authenticate This threads. But I'm also mindful of the disclaimers. :biggrin: