Why A Bolide?

I have an orange 37 Clemence and no, it is not the type of bag for carrying files at all. It is definitely not a tote. It easily holds everything that is in my 35 Birkins but it's just not the type of bag to throw in the extras, like with a Birkin.

The Bolide is a very lovely bag ..The lambskin lining is very luxe. I ordered a wide strap also. The little strap that comes with it is woefully lacking ... it is too thin for a bag of that size!

Here's a picture of what I carry in mine ...

attachment.php

attachment.php
Kallie was my enabler for my 31 Bolide. The next purchase will be the black wide strap. It is so much more comfortable than the strap that comes with the bag.

The Bolide was my 2nd H bag, many many moons ago, after my black kelly. So H, easy to use, and NOTHING falls out of it! The interior leather is so scrumptious that it makes you want to jump inside! I saw 2 bolides that I would just kill for, both were troika: vert fonce and the other was some sort of dark purplish color. Literally made my heart stop. Why didn't I buy them?? To this day, I have no idea why I didn't buy at least ONE of them. I keep thinking that I will see it again. It's been a few years now, no such luck... The other thing about bolides...they look AMAZING in EVERY SIZE!! One day, I will get that travel bolide that I keep seeing at H...and keeps getting more expensive each year!!

Contrary to what some people on this forum believe not everyone lies awake at night plotting to acquire a Birkin! The Bolide has a right to fight for the title of Hermes' most classic handbag due to the age of the style, its timelessness, the historicity of being the world's first handbag with a zip and it's design to work essentially with the 20th centrury.
It oozes its luxury in an understated manner, is really useful to grab and go and is glorious in form and function.

Totally agree! A Bolide is timeless and elegant. Yet if you wear it with the shoulder strap, it'd look more relaxed and casual and frees your hand for the shopping! I love mine (a 31) in Etoupe Togo!!:yahoo:

I adore all Bolides, but HM, the travel size is really difficult because there is no strap, at least there wasn't on the model I bought roughly 6 years ago, and therefore it is almost impossible to carry.
Otherwise it is the perfect bag considering its lack of HW.

The Bolide was my 2nd H bag, many many moons ago, after my black kelly. So H, easy to use, and NOTHING falls out of it! The interior leather is so scrumptious that it makes you want to jump inside! I saw 2 bolides that I would just kill for, both were troika: vert fonce and the other was some sort of dark purplish color. Literally made my heart stop. Why didn't I buy them?? To this day, I have no idea why I didn't buy at least ONE of them. I keep thinking that I will see it again. It's been a few years now, no such luck... The other thing about bolides...they look AMAZING in EVERY SIZE!! One day, I will get that travel bolide that I keep seeing at H...and keeps getting more expensive each year!!

Great thread! My second H bag was a 37 mous that is 20 years old and looks fab for it's age! Love that I don't have to (and don 't) baby this bag. When the weather is good, it is my workhorse!

GetitGetitGetitGetit!

PS: My first H bag was a vintage canvas/box Trim. I'm not a Birkin girl either:P

Attachments

• IMG_1505.JPG
    IMG_1505.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 502
What a great thread!!!!

I have been a Birkin and Kelly girl only until the excitement I felt after reading all these replies and seeing all these fabulous pictures.

I was in the process of deciding between a 35cm Birkin or 35cm Retourne Kelly in Orange but now I think my decision is swaying toward a Bolide in 37cm Mou in Orange. This would be a great addition to my collection.

Kallie Girl the picture of your Orange Bolide was my inspiration. Your bag is gorgeous:drool:

Thank you for this question and the thread.
I have been reading all about the BOLIDE all year 2008 on Purseforum and decided to buy a Bolide in 2009. Unfortunately I have not the chance to see many different Bolides in our franchise H store. So the chance to get the right one is not that high. Still waiting to see a 31cm with canvas lining (Why - because I decided on a very lightweight bag) I am not a Shoulder Strap Girl and because of that I would prefer the Bolide 1923 web style without strap. Wishing you all the luck that you will be satisfied with your final decision.

How did I miss this thread? I love the Bolide~! It is my "go to" bag in inclement weather (and here in New England, that is 9 months a year, lol!). I love the security of the top zip.

I think the simple lines of the bolide go well when it is a bright color of leather, too.

Oh, Roo, where to begin!!! A Bolide was my third style Hermes purse. I adore that it's "under the radar," has a shoulder strap, though I rarely use it, but when you need it, you need it.

I get more compliments on my Bolides than I do any other Hermes purse. I own 3, and I suspect my next purse purchase will be another one......I'm thinking black croc with GHW!

I dodn't you'll regret for a moment.

Thanks Cavalier Girl - you've pretty much summed up my for argument!

Simple, classic, functional. I love my bolides though wish I had been less conservative with my color choices.
I do understand, I'm something of a colour phobe - hoping this might be the cure!

Everyone aspires to own a birkin, few aspires to own a bolide. It's cult in that sense. Add on to the ease of usage. Zip and unzip, add the strap.

That's so true (however, this thread is beginning to prove otherwise, lol). My attraction is due to it's gorgeous shape, not hardware or iconic status. (Plus with my new boots, in real danger of turnlock overkill!)

I find the 37 bolide intriguing as well. Can't wait to see what you get!
- As a more casual, handsfree the 37 mou seems to fit the bill (and there isn't a horrendous wait either!) - do tell if you fall under the spell too!

A 37 mou is on my list - clemence. I only have one and it's a 37 rigide. I love it and I know I'd love a mou one for sure. Gorgeous, functional, roomy, and zips closed!

Not sure how to convince you though - LOL! I guess you either love 'em or you don't.
- definitely falling into the first camp!

Roo, I would caution that it's not a purse to be over stuffed. Because the zipper is fabric, it can stretch out of shape a little is you do. If you MUST fill it too much, don't use the zipper. ;)
- CG good to know - usually pretty guilty of this!

Ohhhh.. I want a bolide too!:love: Just can't decide if i I'll go with the basic black, brown or gold color or I'll get something bright in red or green.
My instinct would be to go bright (easier for me to say than actually do!)

:happydance:I love the Bolide!!*Deep breathe*I have a couple of bolides mou 31 and 37 and rigide 31. I love them all!! I have to say I use the 37 mou the most. You can stuff it and since I use mine so often I can fold flat for travel. My mou is clemance and I have not babied it at all! Its a wonderful bag I love the shoulder strap and I also just ordered a wider leather shoulder strap to wear it messanger style over coats. I can wear it meassanger style with the strap now but any bulk needs a longer strap. Sorry:shame:I love Bolides. The Bolide was my first H bag:love:I hope this helps you!:flowers:

Hi Julide was waiting for you! I think the 31 is very pretty, but looking for a loadlugging bag - so, much as I love the shape of the rigide, (and I really do) think that mou might be the way to go.

Similar to Julide, my mou 37 gets more use thab my rigide. Next on my list is a mou 31. I'm waiting for the right one to find me, which is another nice thing about bolides--good deals on the resale side.
Thanks for confirming my suspicions ck21

I have one Bolide. A 31cm rigid Vache Ligee in Indigo. I adore that bag. The size makes it perfect for the occasion of being a little more dressy than corporate attire. Like for church or a luncheon. I have often thought of a 37 Mou Bolide. I don't carry my 35 Birkins as a grab and go bag. For this winter I am using a 34 Lindy Havanne/Toile as my grad and go back, but I am seriously thinking of a 37 mou Bolide in a nice neutral spring/summer color. Here is a pic of my 37 Indigio Bolide. I had it sent to Paris and had my initials heat stamped in silver on the oval patch.
PennyD2911 She's a beauty! Even more precious with the monogram!

Why NOT a bolide?

Why only ONE bolide?

LOL!! love all responses here. For me, its gorgeous, roomy, versatile, perfection.
- would yours be blue cobalt?

Hmmmm lovely Penny
I have two bolides and a web, and I LOVE them.
Dont have a 37....
should be on my list

attachment.php

I have admired your bolides margieb, so thanks for your enabling!

i've been wanting a bolide. all hermes beauty but under the radar. zippable and strap. what's there not to love?
ITA!

here in NYC the birkin is a dime a dozen. it almost makes me laugh. But, every so often I will see a woman out of the corner of my eye dressed in a chic old school fashion --understated --carrying the Bolide so unassumingly. Its so lovely, feminine yet practical. I have seen a lovely dark haired woman with a 37 in blue jean a couple times; I have seen chamonix, black box with gold, black croc, tan vache liagee, rouge hermes..............:heart:
Perfect description Hermesaholic!

I love the Bolide - 31 is my size (and 30 in the Birkin). I like the zipper, the option of the shoulder strap, which I don't use very much, the simple, uncluttered look and the fact that it's a little "under the radar" when I want to be. It's an understated classic!
Thanks LGA82 - it is a classic! (And yours are lovely btw - particularly the birthday red!)

Reactions: qu33nbee
It is simple and understated. I have received lots of compliments on my Prune Bolide.

It is secure with a zip. I prefer using my 31 Bolide to using my 32 Kelly. The Kelly is very very heavy with the same amount of stuff in it, compared to the Bolide. Maybe it is because the Bolide had 2 handles instead of one thick one (both my bags are in Clemence), and I usually wear my bas on my forearm. The Bolide has a shoulder strap unlike the Birkin. It is a grab and go bag that I do not have to baby. The interior is lovely and soft.

I originally thought I wanted a rigide Bolide but after seeing both rigide and mou in real life I went for the mou. It opens quite wide and is easier to get in and out of compared to the Kelly.

Unlike some others on this thread, my Bolide is my gentle "pop" of colour. I did not want to go for black/brown/gold. The other bags I am waiting on (a Birkin and Kelly) are black classics.

I love my Bolide!
Thank you for the valuable information HermesFSH - it helps to avoid the minor irritations that sometimes occur when all angles of day to day wear have not been considered.

I love this. And these words go perfectly together in style and suit the Bolide in particular so well.
Yes I do find the bolide whispering to me rather than whistling for my attention!

great thread!
I love this under the radar H bag, yet so classic and chic...I always goggle (?) when I see a lady wearing one...I'd love to own one (in Barenia or Prune? RH or Garance...), but first things first, I guess!
- Sure it would be lovely on you, but here's to your first on your wishlist hopefully will be winging it's way to you soonest.)

The Bolide is my HG bag - although I love to look at all the Birkins and Kellys on here the Bolide is the only H bag I 'need'. I'm a student and thus cannot afford one right away, but I've been saving up for a long time now and am ready to purge some of my collection in order to obtain it. I chose it as my HG bag because of its shape and history - it has more history than the Birkin and Kelly, dating back to 1923 if I'm not mistaken. I'm lusting after a Fjord 37 one in Rouge H...I think I'll be placing the order in July!
- Good luck with your order Graciella!

My first two H bags were 37 mou bolides. They are perfect grab-and-go bags for when you want to carry Hermes but don't want to attract the attention a birkin might get. They hold a ton. The shoulder strap is a plus, and the top zipper is very convenient. You can fit an 8.5x11 manila folder in and close it - might bend the tab a little ( you can always leave the top open.) And I love the history - how it was designed to wear with a bugatti and was the first bag to use a zipper - a fun little story I told my DH to distract him from the price!

ETA: Agree with KG about the strap! And - my only regret is that I haven't bought one of these in a bright color.
- Thank you for another practical snippet of information Florasun