Who's got Velvet Matte Leather?

TropicalGal

Jan 15, 2007
Hi Ladies! Who's got Velvet Matte leather? I'd like to know the qualities of this leather. First of all, is it heavy? Is it "boring" or wonderful? Etc. And if you have a picture of your bag in this Velvet Matte, that would be swell. Looking forward to hearing from you! :ty:

TG, I have nutmeg velvet matte (the original, they have more now but it is lighter in colour) and coffee velvet matte.

These two leathers are quite different. The nutmeg is gorgeous with a truly velvet feel but it scuffs very easily and you don't really want to get it dirty - it is very hard to clean.

Coffee velvet matte is also wonderful to touch, but not IMO as velvety as the nutmeg. It is much hardier - you can scratch it really hard with barely any marks. I had a small swatch of black velvet matte and that felt less velvety and was a bit stiffer.

Nutmeg and coffee are not as heavy as the pebbled luxe leathers but I have a nutmeg TMA Midi and that can get pretty heavy by the end of the day. That being said, there is quite a bit of hardware on that bag. My coffee Treasure Me I can carry all day with no problems.

And this is my coffee velvet matte. I am a huge fan of the old choc matte. I really can't decide which of them is better. The old choc matte developed a lovely sheen from rubbing against your body but velvet matte doesn't seem to do this (not in the coffee so far anyway).

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 200
VanBod, you are brill! Thank you v much! I don't quite understand why it is called Velvet Matte, because...it doesn't really look so velvet or so matte. It looks like...normal leather...ha ha. Also, the choco looks bubbly, whilst the other two you posted look smoother. Or is this my imagination?

Your coffee looks quite smoothy and nice! Me likey.

Do you know how it is any different from the "plain" leathers on the BE website? Or why one would prefer this leather over them? Once again, thank you!

(The reason I'm asking is I've ordered the L.A. Satchel in Black Velvet Matte.)
(Also, I have a black pebbled TME midi that is so heavy, I refuse to carry it.)

TG - you are spot on - the nutmeg is smooth and the coffee does look a bit pebbly/bubbly. I think the earl grey is smooth too but I'll let owners of that chime in.

I think some people didn't love the old mattes as much because of corner wear and scuffing and certainly coffee velvet matte doesn't have those problems. And some people didn't like the sheen that developed on the matte leathers but only on the side that rubbed against the body...some customers like their bags to look very regular I suppose - different strokes for different folks. I like both these leathers.

I find the grouping of leathers under the velvet matte name a bit irregular - they don't all have the same feel or the same hardiness but maybe that is what they are called by the tannery and that is what BE has stuck with?

Also, VanBod, I looked closeup at the Oak Matte Velvet NY Satchel on the BE website and it has lots of scuffs and markings... I suppose it is some sort of treatment which gives it "matte velvet" name. Trouble is with we BE ladies, we know too much and too little about leathers! ha ha. We are in a dangerous spot, because a little bit of knowledge IS a dangerous thing.

I think the Oak Velvet Matte is supplied with a special cloth to help buff it...you'd need to ask Odebdo about that as I think she has this leather in a NY Satchel

I have the NY satchel in Oak velvet matte. It does seem to have a slightly more velvety feel compared to regular mattes. It is really gorgeous - and it does show variations and markings much like the original tan (which is a good thing, IMO). It also breaks in beautifully. Its not light - I would say it weighs about the same as a regular matte.

My concern at this point is how heavy the L.A. satchel is with the Black Velvet Matte. A heavy empty bag is a dealbreaker for me now. I got used to the lightness of the LV Epi Petit Noe and the LV Neverfull --.

VanBod I love how smooshy your Coffee Velvet Matte looks.

Its not really heavy, but definitely not light either. I'm like you - I need lightweight bags that are as easy to carry as they are easy on the eyes : )

I'm hoping BE introduces some more minimal crossbody styles. The Covet Me was close, but I didn't care for the look (I hate tassels).