who's going to make the cut??

Aug 14, 2008
Spring is here and I've finally confronted the consequences of the love of Mulberry I've developed over the last year - a significant bag collection, many beautiful, but too many ever to use and some I realise I don't actually love, plus whopping cc bills. So who will make the cut? Do you think i should keep collections (ie all my rosemarys), be purely functional, or just go with my heart? The ones I know will stay will be my oak, lavender and choc rosies, choc bays will stay as it's my work bag, but what about the black roxy or the plum or ivy bays, which haven't left their bag since purchase?? It's so hard to part with any of them. I have a couple of days to finalise my paypal account to link to my ebay one and then I HAVE to make the decision... I know some of you have gone through this stage of Mulberry ownership before, so welcome your thoughts...

Definitely go with your heart/gut feelings about your bags - if you haven't ever used them, it tells you that they don't suit your lifestyle, and nothing is worth getting into debt for :nogood:. However (!) you don't want to regret selling them so perhaps you could just let one or two go???

Hard decisions, but I firmly believe in keeping what you will use - and let the rest go... As hard as it is to part with beautiful, perhaps rare, bags, it is also hard to see them sit unused in their dustbags week after week. By now, you probably know what you actually use. The others - will you ever use them? Or do you have others that you will always reach for first? I know I found it hard to make those decisions, but when the bags I never used were gone, I never ever missed them. I just felt relieved that they were no longer there, making me feel guilty. And I like that they are now loved by someone who appreciate their beauty and use them more often than I did!

Hard decisions, but I firmly believe in keeping what you will use - and let the rest go... As hard as it is to part with beautiful, perhaps rare, bags, it is also hard to see them sit unused in their dustbags week after week. By now, you probably know what you actually use. The others - will you ever use them? Or do you have others that you will always reach for first? I know I found it hard to make those decisions, but when the bags I never used were gone, I never ever missed them. I just felt relieved that they were no longer there, making me feel guilty. And I like that they are now loved by someone who appreciate their beauty and use them more often than I did!

Vicky, you took the words right out of my mouth! Great minds, eh?

I've discovered I can't part with mine!!! I know I will use them all at some point. For me most have been xmas or birthday presents so there is sentimental value too. If you are in debt sell what you don't use. If you aren't in debt think carefully about what you use now and may use in the future. I find as times and seasons pass my tastes change so what may not be flavour of the month this month I may love using next year!

Guys, sorry to be the person putting a downer on this thread but we aren't allowed to even discuss our desire to cull our collection on the forum, Swanky has mentioned that we will lose our chat thread, not that this is the chat thread but the same rules apply across the board.

Just don't want to see anyone getting into trouble :flowers:

I think it's okay for me to say get rid of the bags you don't use. They're poor value for money if you don't use them and only enjoy them when you take them out to admire. Keep the bags you use and ease your credit card debt with the bags you don't use.

oh sorry, I don't want us to get in trouble and have seen threads like this before - i promise i'm not talking about selling specific bags, just welcome the excellent advice as to how people choose. I am collector as well as an everyday user of Mulberrys and I know many of you wonderful ladies are too. thank you for your sound advice so far - it's not the debts that bother me (who doesn't love 0% credit cards :smile: ) more the idea that some bags might never ever see light of day...

I had a good spring clean out of my bag closet and have parted with everything that had either never seen the light of day or that revealed itself as mistake after having been on a couple outings.
Those two instances accounted for 2 bags, another 2 went which I hadn't carried for over a year and didn't see myself carrying again.
One was my very first Darwin piece, an oak Ledbury, which was hard to let go but it just seemed too small and not practical for me anymore, so out it went.
I also went through my accessories collection and parted with wallets, coin purses, key rings, cosmetic bags etc. following the same rule of never used/haven't used in a while.
It's very liberating to scale down one's collection and similar to Vicky, I just felt relief once I had it pared down to what I really love and carry.
So, I say, go for it!
I did my clean out in several stages and am nearing completion now with a couple items waiting to go...and the upside is realizing how much 'waste' you've accumulated will make you more careful and mindful with your next purchases, that's at least what I'm experiencing atm...

I think as long as we keep it general and don't announce that we're selling specific items that's OK.

On a general note, I have been in positions before where I've bought Mulberry bags simply because they have been in an unusual colour or leather, then realised I wasn't using them. They are the ones that had to go, and I don't regret letting them go. I think it's a matter of deciding which is important, whether you want the bags as possessions, or whether functionality is key. For me, it's the latter, as there are always certain ones that I'll grab first. If they were non-designer high street bags, I don't hink I'd make the distinction so much, but unless you've got limitless finance a more expensive bag requires these considerations

I've discovered I can't part with mine!!! I know I will use them all at some point. For me most have been xmas or birthday presents so there is sentimental value too. If you are in debt sell what you don't use. If you aren't in debt think carefully about what you use now and may use in the future. I find as times and seasons pass my tastes change so what may not be flavour of the month this month I may love using next year!

I'm exactly the same as you Jo, i won't sell any of my bags.
Some of them hardly see the light of day but i have a well chosen collection, that i hope i will still love in years to come. Take for example my light pink mabel, i bought this about 6 months ago and have never used it, but it will be a great summer bag.

Good luck choosing!

I've actually sold quite a few bags over the years because I do tend to buy on impulse and then find some of the bags uncomfortable/impractical/unsuitable and then I don't use them. I've sold all of those and now I have a collection of bags that I love and use. I tended to feel guilty having bags that I don't use. I've never missed a bag as much as I thought I did and it is always nice to have some readies to buy another!

I think the thread we had some time ago asking about the bags in our collections and the reasons we loved them (or not) was really useful as it made me evaluate my collection and make changes.