Who thinks this is a good idea & I need some encouragement

Nov 9, 2010
Well this is a bit off topic but just wanted to know how many of you have had this sort of incentive before.

My DH has offered to buy me a new bag if I loose the weight I have put on over the last 6 months which is about a stone or maybe a bit more :sad: I have yet to weigh myself as my digital scales need a new battery......I stopped going to the gym about 6 months ago & I really don't know why so please ladies I really do need some encouragement if I am ever going to get my hands on another new bag he he & the my cheeky DH is going to buy & hide but get it out here & there to tease me, we are going shopping tomorrow to see if there's a bag that I want in the sales or if not I will choose one that's not in the sale but I think this is the only way I will get my back side into action & loose this weight.

I need every ones support :graucho::graucho:

Haha I actually think that's a brilliant idea! My now husband tried something similar with me last year - I had said for years I wanted to be married before I turned 30, but we never really got round to lambing anything. However, after a bit of a stressful period with family bereavement, redundancy and various other panics, my dr told me I had high blood pressure and it would do me good to loose a bit of weight. So craig lured me with the promise of our wedding, planned and arranged by him, if I started to take better care of myself. So for me, the bribery was a win-win! Better health, fitness and married to boot! If it works for you then that's all that matters - good luck and I hope to be hearing very soon that a lovely new bag is yours!

kyliegul said:
Haha I actually think that's a brilliant idea! My now husband tried something similar with me last year - I had said for years I wanted to be married before I turned 30, but we never really got round to lambing anything. However, after a bit of a stressful period with family bereavement, redundancy and various other panics, my dr told me I had high blood pressure and it would do me good to loose a bit of weight. So craig lured me with the promise of our wedding, planned and arranged by him, if I started to take better care of myself. So for me, the bribery was a win-win! Better health, fitness and married to boot! If it works for you then that's all that matters - good luck and I hope to be hearing very soon that a lovely new bag is yours!

That's a lovely story & what a sweet DH you have, I am usually pretty good & stay at a size 12 but I've really let myself get lazy lately & all my size 12's are getting tight so I really need a kick up the bum to make me shift it otherwise the cost of a new wardrobe might be more expensive than a new bag ;(

thats actually quite a funny and good idea - i tried it with my husband, not even close!
i was a size 6 before we married 7 months ago and now im a definite size 8 but my husband really isnt fussed enough to buy me a handbag lol!

Rewarding yourself for achieving stuff is always good in my book. My only concern would be what happens after you lose weight and get the bag - if getting it is the only thing that can motivate you, is there a danger you'll slip back once you have it?

(clearly this could be overcome by then getting another treat for maintaining that weight every 6 months or so lol!)

Wordsworth said:
Rewarding yourself for achieving stuff is always good in my book. My only concern would be what happens after you lose weight and get the bag - if getting it is the only thing that can motivate you, is there a danger you'll slip back once you have it?

(clearly this could be overcome by then getting another treat for maintaining that weight every 6 months or so lol!)

Oooh I love your thinking, never thought of that, maybe a new bag every 6 months lol although I doubt DH would fall for that one but no harm in trying he he

medicbean said:
thats actually quite a funny and good idea - i tried it with my husband, not even close!
i was a size 6 before we married 7 months ago and now im a definite size 8 but my husband really isnt fussed enough to buy me a handbag lol!

If I was a UK size 8 I would never diet again so your very lucky, it was my suggestion to have a goal to work towards & I think DH wants to loose a few pounds himself so if I'm dieting it helps him too :smile:

What about proposing our OH's they keep us buying us bags and we promise we stay slim? I am sure my husband will sadly not go for this, he loves me regardless.
I have put weight on too, stress at work, family stuff and the holidays all contributed! Hope to have lost a stone by the end of Feb.

Fantastic Idea! This is was my encouragement to get a new career is to reward myself with a brand new bayswater not a preloved but I have the career but not yet got the bag lol.

Don't worry about cancelling the gym I would suggest a home program like beachbodys Turbo fire it is a high intensity cardio program with toning dvds. The set has 15 DVD's see your body doesnt plateau however I would suggest god nutrition with beachbody they do provide support they have coaches some are not fitness qualified but just have the same experience and can advise on alot but most have the knowledge of a fitness trainer anyway to be honest.

I also need to lose some weight this year and because I started the new career stopped working out so I have now emailed someone with the same experiance for support and have a plan ready. But I will be working away from home which makes things a little bit more tricky.

So if I can do it then you can do it! Think of the shiny new bag but don't do any gimmick workouts and don't do extreme dieting. Maybe you could start a thread on here and we can all pitch in and help to motivate you :biggrin: we can motivate eachother x

Fantastic Idea! This is was my encouragement to get a new career is to reward myself with a brand new bayswater not a preloved but I have the career but not yet got the bag lol.

Don't worry about cancelling the gym I would suggest a home program like beachbodys Turbo fire it is a high intensity cardio program with toning dvds. The set has 15 DVD's see your body doesnt plateau however I would suggest god nutrition with beachbody they do provide support they have coaches some are not fitness qualified but just have the same experience and can advise on alot but most have the knowledge of a fitness trainer anyway to be honest.

I also need to lose some weight this year and because I started the new career stopped working out so I have now emailed someone with the same experiance for support and have a plan ready. But I will be working away from home which makes things a little bit more tricky.

So if I can do it then you can do it! Think of the shiny new bag but don't do any gimmick workouts and don't do extreme dieting. Maybe you could start a thread on here and we can all pitch in and help to motivate you :biggrin: we can motivate eachother x
Aaaaah thanks honey for the support, I've not cancelled the gym but just put my membership on freeze but I'm going to start running again outside although I think I would probably die if I tried it now, I'm very unfit but once DH buys that new bag I shall have a pic of it on my phone & everytime I'm tempted to cheat ill just look at the pic for motivation, I suggested I have an incentive as I just have no will power so need something to motivate me :smile:

What about proposing our OH's they keep us buying us bags and we promise we stay slim? I am sure my husband will sadly not go for this, he loves me regardless.
I have put weight on too, stress at work, family stuff and the holidays all contributed! Hope to have lost a stone by the end of Feb.

That's when I hope to loose that stone so maybe we should keep each other motivated, DH loves me no matter what my size but it's me that doesn't like myself & feel yuck & I suggested a little motivation & a shinny new bag is just what the doctor ordered lol :smile:

Just start off slow and do an activity you enoy. I quit the gym as its the time it takes getting there and with the new job which involves travelling makes it difficult.

But I started Turbo fire it really suits me and I like the fact you get 15 DVD's coming from a fitness background I know this is critical in home fitness.

If running outdoors is the cardio you enjoy just start off easy as any activity right now is going to help. The also pick some sort of toning activity you could do it after your run whilst your warmed up like body weight exercises etc you could do 10 minute walking and jogging then say 5 minutes toning straight when you get home along with some stretching at the end. Build it up to 30 minutes cardio mixing up the intensity but if you do go all out for 30 seconds have a complete 30 seconds walk and same with 1 minute Full/1 minute walk and 10-15 minutes toning depending on what you choice to do.

These are suggestions and ideas based on what you said I am no expert. And create a good running music mix :biggrin: Nutirition is always the hardest thing to master then exercise! Ill let you know how my new plan is going in a couple of weeks it does involve lots of eating too!! hehe.

But be careful outdoors its still dark early!

I'm alreeady thinking of how much to save and when to go to Bicester. I want a chocolate Bayswater to use as a laptop bag (I am open to suggestions) and use my Roxy still as my make-up, purse etc bag.