Who says Chanel holds its value?!

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I would say that Chanel has a pretty good resell value compared to other designers (not including H) but of course you have to expect to take a loss and some time to sell the bag. Chanel, after all, is a luxury brand and not everyone has thousands of dollars to drop instantly. You may find that it will take months to sell your bag at your asking price. But if you compare reselling Chanel to say, Dior/Burberry/BV/Prada etc.., you'd see that if you go with the other brands you're looking at losing around 50%-60% once the bag has been used (even in excellent condition). Even for an used/EUC Chanel, I'm able to sell it for about only a 20-30% loss (it also depends on color and size) but again, it takes months for the right buyer to come along.

I think when people say Chanel holds it value, they might be referring to the oldies when the prices weren't costing people an arm and a leg to purchase one. I remember my first few classic flaps were only $2600-2800. I can now easily sell them for $3400-3600 given their condition because that's their worth on the free market. I had a black single flap jumbo that I purchased years ago for around $3000. I rarely used it and it was in almost pristine condition (light hardware wear). I sold it last year for $3900. So in that sense, Chanel does have a great resell value but that can't be really applied to today's crazy prices though. No way would I make any money or break even with recently acquired flaps. I think even in 5-6 years, I still wouldn't break even unless Chanel raised the classic prices to the 7-8k range (which I think it a bit ambitious and would drive their revenue into the ground if they tried to price their items in the H range).

llviolet and SweetDaisy05 like this.
  2. I think you can always sell a Chanel, whatever it is, but you certainly won't always get all your money back.

3. Also you are trying to sell the reissue (which I personally love) but that flap loses more value than the cc flap.

4. I agree, I think the loss is lower with Chanel compare to other designers but you will make a loss. However, boy bags and classic flaps hold their value the best and with constant price increases from Chanel sometimes a seller might make a profit, but this is not always the case.

5. I definitely understand what you mean when you say life sometimes throws us a curve ball. I hope you are able to sell it for a reasonable amount

6. Thank you so much, bagfashionista :smile:

7. Thank you! It is very nice to know that I am not alone. :smile:

8. I agree with everyone. Chanel should not be think of as "investments". Their resell values are more similar to cars. Depreciation peaks in the first couple years, then gradually slows down in the first ten years. At some point, value stays static. Also, some models, and I say models not brands, hold up better than others. Only the elite 1-2% will ever appreciate in value. Bottom line is, Chanel is considered to have a high resell value in comparison to many other brands for it's evergreen styles, consistent price increases, and no-sale strategy in my humble opinion.

SweetDaisy05 and ccbaggirl89 like this.
  9. Great thread!

10. Thank you all for the great information. I learned so much from this thread!

11. Great thread! I agree that selling with consignment shops will most likely cause a rather significant loss. I have sold in the past and my advise is the most win-win sell is when you are directly selling to people you know, like neighbors or people you know. You will give them a below retail price and will avoid the hassle and coasts of consignment shops. However, if you do not have any friends who you can directly sell to, I think Ann's Fabulous Finds consignment option brings the most money back. Depending on condition, model, and color, it may or may not sell quickly though.

12. Thank you for all the knowledge passed on in this thread. I am a newbie and so glad I came across this thread. I was also under the same assumption about the resale value from what I had read in this forum. Thanks again for all you've shared. :smile:

13. I think if you buy pre-owned you are more likely to see your Chanel bag hold its value. Vintage Jumbo XLs for example were around $2000 around five years ago. Brand new medium caviar flaps were $2,450 in 2008 in the boutique, and pre-owned counterparts were less. Granted this isn't an investment instrument - nobody should buy Chanel hoping to profit, but depending on the model and how you buy, you should be able to maintain value of certain staple items over time. Sure if you buy a 227 reissue from the store for $6,000 you will lose, but if you buy it pre-owned for $3,500 to $4,200 in pretty good condition, it is hard to lose.

14. I am so glad this thread shined the light on what appears to be a common misperception. Hope it helped :smile:

Guesswho likes this.
  15. To me the value of Chanel (to less extent Louis Vuitton or Celine) lies in the fact that you can resell AT ALL. I have beautiful bags from Burberry, Jimmy Choo or Ferragamo in immaculate condition bought in 2014 and would like to sell them to fund another Chanel :graucho:
    I looked on Vestaire/Ebay. Not only the resale price for them was like 30% of the original value but also there was no interest at all - not even likes on Vestaire or wish lists!!!
    I've decided since to buy exclusively Chanel not only for its beauty but also the (some) value i could get back in future.

Melissa Ann and SweetDaisy05 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice