Who remembers when Louis Vuitton was cheaper than today?

Mar 2, 2008
Hi everyone,

I was looking at some old threads here on tpf and I can't believe how much LV has gone up in price! My first piece was a monogram speedy 25 and I believe in 2007 it was $525. What are your thoughts?

FYI: I see no difference in quality between bags I bought 20 years ago and bags I buy today!

And yes I remember when things were cheaper... Louis Vuitton among many other things!

Reactions: LadyNik
Everything has went up in price, so naturally lv has to raise significantly to keep its luxury status... Or else the bags would be selling like Michael kors bags!!

I sure miss 2010 prices for LV! But I am sure years before then was much cheaper. I can't really stand how "entry" 1k level bags are going up in 2k mark soon. But as always bite my tongue when purchasing $$$$. In end I want it and it will make me happy regardless. lol

I sure miss 2010 prices for LV! But I am sure years before then was much cheaper. I can't really stand how "entry" 1k level bags are going up in 2k mark soon. But as always bite my tongue when purchasing $$$$. In end I want it and it will make me happy regardless. lol

Omg so the Speedy will go up to 2k soon?! HUH? Seriously this can't be true. It hasn't even cracked 1k yet.

FYI: I see no difference in quality between bags I bought 20 years ago and bags I buy today!

And yes I remember when things were cheaper... Louis Vuitton among many other things!

Maybe with some things the quality has stayed the same but I can tell you from my own experience with the cabas mezzo- the recent reissue (the Angelina Jolie bag) was strikingly inferior to the original I owned 15 years ago. All of the vachetta, esp. that on the bottom, was noticeably thinner and they did away with the interior zipper on the pocket. It is a flimsier bag compared to the old version. I have noticed quality issues with new almas as well- the zipper not exactly aligning, etc.

I have an old price list which LV used to provide with their catalogs- it is fun to look at. Prices generally have at least doubled since the mid 2000's which is probably what you would expect with inflation and the nature of high-demand luxury goods.

maybe with some things the quality has stayed the same but i can tell you from my own experience with the cabas mezzo- the recent reissue (the angelina jolie bag) was strikingly inferior to the original i owned 15 years ago. All of the vachetta, esp. That on the bottom, was noticeably thinner and they did away with the interior zipper on the pocket. It is a flimsier bag compared to the old version. I have noticed quality issues with new almas as well- the zipper not exactly aligning, etc.

+1