Who lives alone?

Sometimes I really miss living alone.

And being able to have popcorn and a diet coke for dinner while wearing ratty old sweats without having to hear someone fussing at me and wondering if I am sick.

I can't wait to live alone again. Right now I'm living with my parents, but I'm getting ready to move to Toronto next week. (I'll be living at my aunt's until mid-September, but THEN I get to move into my new apartment! :yahoo: )

I loved college. I loved not having to answer for myself all the time. I loved not having anyone check up on me. And I love my mother but she can have the most toxic personality when we're arguing. I love the fact that I won't have to deal with that if I don't want to.

I live alone and have for about 15 years. Right now I live in a 1500 sq.feet townhouse that I own but before that I always rented small apartments. It took a while to get used to living on my own. Every little noise or strange sound would bother me. I am just used to it now and I like having a place that is just mine.

kezza said:
I've been living alone for 5 years, my current apartment is about 750 sq feet. The benefits of living alone are pretty clear, but for a few years now I've been restless to get a place with BF and start a new phase of my life. For 4 and a half years I've been spending weeknights at my place and weekends with BF, which is tiring, to say the least. BF and I closed on a condo two weeks ago and I move in this weekend. I'm nervous about having to share a space with another person full time, but I'm really excited to see him every day and feel "settled." Having to get home and pack every Friday night for the last, oh, 230 or so weeks has been crappy, and always felt somehow temporary.
If I'd been single and dating all this time it would have been another story, though.

Yaaay, that's soooo exciting, Kezza!! Congratulations! I am going to stop in on your all the time around dinner-time... :flowers:

kezza said:
The noises really bothered me at first. I remember my first night alone in my first apartment. I was lying awake in bed, and freaked out about getting murdered or raped or something. Like "oh my god, what am I doing? I could die alone here and it would be days before anyone knew." The extra scary thing is that a couple months after I moved in my elderly, single downstairs neighbor died and nobody found out for about a week!
IMHO, that's the worst part of living alone. Not being taken to the morgue in a timely manner.

That freaked me out a lot, too- the noises part, and the actually being alone without anyone knowing where I was! I think it's why I'm signed on to AIM all the time, so those people who know my schedule can expect me at certain times..Anyway, I think everyone should experience living alone at some point in their lives. I know I'm a completely different person today because of it, and I know I can rely on myself for whatever I need. I'm sure I'll miss it someday, if my living situation ever changes.

I am recently separated from my husband (since May) so have been learning how to live on my own again. I am in our house and its almost 4000 sq ft so sometimes it can be very quiet and lonely, but I usually dont mind. Even when I was single I always had big apartments and my first home purchase when I was single was a 4 bedroom 1927 Victorian. I get claustrophobic if I dont have room...LOL

We were married for 10 yrs and lived together a year before that, so its been awhile since I have lived alone....but now I have a friend of mine staying with me as she gets ready to move back to OK, so I really havent been alone. She is gone for two weeks now and I actually feel like I am getting a minibreak..I was really never one for a roomate, with the exception of my dogs.

However, we are now talking reconciliation and possibly moving back to NY, where I am originally from so I am enjoying my alone time now while I have it.

IntlSet said:
Hey Blue! Were you living alone in Chicago? Do you mind if I ask what neighborhood?

Noo, Washington DC. But my friends that do live alone live in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, one has her own townhouse in Roscoe Village. A couple of them used to live alone in Evanston.

Are you going to look into getting your own place instead of living with the 2 other girls now?

Blue824 said:
Noo, Washington DC. But my friends that do live alone live in Lincoln Park, Lakeview, one has her own townhouse in Roscoe Village. A couple of them used to live alone in Evanston.

Are you going to look into getting your own place instead of living with the 2 other girls now?

Hey Blue!

Thanks for remembering, you're always so sweet. Originally, I intended to move to Chicago by myself. One girl jumped on board because she got a job in the city, and my best friend decided to move because she's rich and bored and has nothing better to do!

We've been having hell of a time finding 3-bedroom apartments that we can all agree on with a September lease date... so I think we're all splitting up. It's definitely for the better IMO, but the girl who is not my best friend is freaking out about "living alone" and "moving to a new city." She's pretty... sheltered? She's only been on a plane 3 times in her life and has never left the United States. She's torn up about us all living apart.

kezza said:
The noises really bothered me at first. I remember my first night alone in my first apartment. I was lying awake in bed, and freaked out about getting murdered or raped or something. Like "oh my god, what am I doing? I could die alone here and it would be days before anyone knew." The extra scary thing is that a couple months after I moved in my elderly, single downstairs neighbor died and nobody found out for about a week!
IMHO, that's the worst part of living alone. Not being taken to the morgue in a timely manner.

For some reason noises don't bother me in an apartment, I think because there are lots of other people close by... but when I house sit and I'm in a huge house all by myself up on the North Shore with the houses further apart... then I get scared!

Congrats on teh condo - very exciting! My bf and I are going to start looking this summer in Chicago for a condo, open houses and figuring out what we like/want, but I probably won't buy until the Spring.. unless I find something I can't resist. But I'm still such a dork and so excited to start looking!

IntlSet said:
Hey Blue!

Thanks for remembering, you're always so sweet. Originally, I intended to move to Chicago by myself. One girl jumped on board because she got a job in the city, and my best friend decided to move because she's rich and bored and has nothing better to do!

We've been having hell of a time finding 3-bedroom apartments that we can all agree on with a September lease date... so I think we're all splitting up. It's definitely for the better IMO, but the girl who is not my best friend is freaking out about "living alone" and "moving to a new city." She's pretty... sheltered? She's only been on a plane 3 times in her life and has never left the United States. She's torn up about us all living apart.

Thats interesting that she's moving to another city by herself then! Tell her people are always looking for roommates on craigslist too. Lots of students or grad students, and that is sort of nice because you can meet more people that way if you're new. And then they're your age.

Sorry it has been so difficult, I guess doing it from afar gets a lot more complicated.

Blue824 said:
Thats interesting that she's moving to another city by herself then! Tell her people are always looking for roommates on craigslist too. Lots of students or grad students, and that is sort of nice because you can meet more people that way if you're new. And then they're your age.

Sorry it has been so difficult, I guess doing it from afar gets a lot more complicated.

Since our trip to Chicago, she's seriously contemplated not taking the job. She lives 20 minutes away from our college and has always stayed close to home... I feel bad because now that we're not living together she's REALLY thinking about not moving. I don't think it's a very good idea to make your own situation contingent on someone else's... especially since she doesn't know me super well.

Oh well... yeah, it's been really hard doing this from California!

Blue824 said:
For some reason noises don't bother me in an apartment, I think because there are lots of other people close by... but when I house sit and I'm in a huge house all by myself up on the North Shore with the houses further apart... then I get scared!

Congrats on teh condo - very exciting! My bf and I are going to start looking this summer in Chicago for a condo, open houses and figuring out what we like/want, but I probably won't buy until the Spring.. unless I find something I can't resist. But I'm still such a dork and so excited to start looking!

I totally know what you mean about being in a big house alone outside of the city. My parents live in Evanston and sometimes I stay at their house to watch the critters while they're out of town. That house freaked me out enough when I was a little kid home alone for the evening, and it still freaks me out sometimes now. I'm always glad to have a big dog there to keep me safe. :smile: It's awful dark in the suburbs . . . *shudder*
Good luck on the condo hunt! You picked a good time, the prices are supposed to start falling pretty fast, I think some sellers are going to go below reasonable market value out of fear of not finding a buyer. When BF and I were looking this spring we saw a few places that had reduced their prices several times already.

IntlSet said:
Since our trip to Chicago, she's seriously contemplated not taking the job. She lives 20 minutes away from our college and has always stayed close to home... I feel bad because now that we're not living together she's REALLY thinking about not moving. I don't think it's a very good idea to make your own situation contingent on someone else's... especially since she doesn't know me super well.

Oh well... yeah, it's been really hard doing this from California!

Did she have the job before she knew you were going there? THere are some people that never really face their fears and are homebodies and just afraid to break through their comfort zone. She sounds like of those people...