Who is the inspiration behind Kate Winslet's The Reader?

well i think it had to do with his upbringing as well as his relationship with winslet's character. from the beginning it is clear that he led a very sheltered existance. his first relationship where he actually opened himself up, just vanished without a trace. that kind of ordeal can make someone very gaurded emotionally. that is probably what led to him not being able to have lasting relationships with women, he just couldn't allow them to get that close to him, he'd be too vulnerable. but hey thats just my take. he obviously had relationships with other women, he got married, but i dont think he could really give them what they needed/ expected from him.

well i think it had to do with his upbringing as well as his relationship with winslet's character. from the beginning it is clear that he led a very sheltered existance. his first relationship where he actually opened himself up, just vanished without a trace. that kind of ordeal can make someone very gaurded emotionally. that is probably what led to him not being able to have lasting relationships with women, he just couldn't allow them to get that close to him, he'd be too vulnerable. but hey thats just my take. he obviously had relationships with other women, he got married, but i dont think he could really give them what they needed/ expected from him.

I just saw the movie today and your post made me remember the opening scene with the woman he had spent the night with.
Didn't she infer that he wasn't able to commit? Then they moved right into the meeting with Kate Winslet. (Who was absolutely fantastic.) I think you call it very well.
This movie will stay with me for a long time I think.