Who here owns rats?

Well, I've always thought... rats.... :yucky: But I've heard so many adorable stories of rats being great pets that it makes me very curious... I'd love to have them one day... How do they compare to hamsters? Does their urine smell as strong??

I'm moving again next year and I've been lonely here without my cat... I'm thinking of getting another pet. Maybe rats would be a good idea :yes:

And photoobsessive, you have a SKUNK? That is sooooooooo rad, I've always wanted to have one :love: Do you think you could make a thread about it and post pictures? I'd love to see it :nuts:

awww! I love this thread!! I have had rats ever since I was little. They make the absolute best pets! They are very very intelligent. and they are so much more social than hampsters. THey are less prone to bite, too.

I miss my rats, but with two cats and a husband, I dont think I could take on any more babies!! :biggrin:

Right now I have a mouse (and 2 dogs) at home. When I was in highschool, I had 3 mice, a Syrian/teddy bear hamster, 2 dwarf hamsters and a bunch of baby rats!!! They were so sweet and licked milk from my fingertips. =) I love little rodents! (but not the NYC cat-rats...)

Right now I have a mouse (and 2 dogs) at home. When I was in highschool, I had 3 mice, a Syrian/teddy bear hamster, 2 dwarf hamsters and a bunch of baby rats!!! They were so sweet and licked milk from my fingertips. =) I love little rodents! (but not the NYC cat-rats...)

is the mouse stay caged? do your dogs try to play with the mouse? I always want a cute pet mouse, but my dog LOVES squirrels so i am worried my dog will hurt the mouse.

I think they are so cute, but alas hubby doesnt agree. :sad: I just love every animal out there - except spiders, but I still feel sorry for them and cant kill them.

During my first year of college, I had a pet rat. I rescued her from my sorority president's pet snakes :wtf: . She was the best pet for a dorm room and eventually in an apartment. She was trained to only potty in her cage. The only thing I couldn't get her to stop doing was chewing on the corners of my wooden dresser. I guess it was just too much temptation for her to take :yes: . I loved to take her to the cafeteria in my jacket pocket. Her favorite food was Froot Loops. She was so cute holding one of them in her little hands. She lived with me for 3 years, I cried when I had have her put to sleep. She had a stroke as near as we could tell because she lost alot of her mobility on one side. Lilith is fondly remembered.
Great story...and I love her name. :tup:

I had rats growing up and they were THE BEST little pets. So smart and not as "fragile" as hamsters. Mine used to just love sitting on my shoulder and riding around with me all over the house :P

I loooooooove pet rats!! One of my great friends in school had a precious grey and white pet rat named Mike. He was a darling creature. We'd stand in the bathroom getting ready to go out and he'd hang out with us! :lol: He would wrap himself around the back of your neck so you'd have a tail hanging down on one side and you could see his lil nose and whiskers on the other.... SO sweet and gentle.

I'd love to have one but I always had house cats and then after the house cats I got Hubby....and he's one of those "they're vermin" folks so I'll likely never have one.

Anyone w/ a pet rat please share pics! :yes: