Arts & Crafts Who here makes soaps,candles etc?

Jeannam2008

Fashionably me :)
Jul 10, 2009
It all stated with this YT video for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DGYDDZcSVI

I went out to Micheals and picked up my first soap kit, and I got a lot of responses from the ladies that my mom does their hair and eventually I'll be selling them at her shop, but right now I'm just making them for fun and for little Christmas gifts!

So who here makes their own soaps, candles, bath salts and so on? Post pictures, tips, tricks, DIY!

I make candles for my own use. I haven't made them in about a year, but I still have all of my supplies. I love burning scented jar candles, but I got so tired of paying $25 for a large Yankee, when I knew I could produce the same thing myself. It is very easy, just a little bit time consuming! I buy old canning jars at garage or estate sales and use those, because I know they can tolerate the hot wax when I pour. I don't think I have any photos of my candles, they really aren't all that thrilling to look at! :lol:

I've done the simpler soap making ideas with my girls. Here are the directions for what we did...very easy but the girls had fun!

Soap

I have pics at the link...not on photo bucket atm so it doesn't upload directly here.

I made one or two candles with my Mum growing up, definitely intending to pursue doing my own as I have a large stack of teacups without saucers or that are a little cracked so not really safe to use much that I'd like to turn into container candles :yahoo:

I make scented tarts, salt scrubs, and soaps... but mostly just for friends and family during the holidays or special occasions. My favorite occasion is a birthday, where I can really customize a gift bag or basket.

My favorite season is Halloween. I just really enjoy the quirkie designs and molds available... skulls, bats, witches, etc. I also enjoy concocting my own unique fragrances by mixing perfume oils, some of which fail miserably, but some are out of this world.

this is one thing i've always thought about trying (as if i need to add another hobby to my list lol).
i remember when i was growing up a friend new someone that would make candles. she had a huge list of scents and you could give her any container that you wanted for the candle and she would fill it for a small charge. it was really fun!

maybe when i'm finally rich i'll add soaps and candles to my list of 'stuff' on my business lol