who has the SCAD 'salt marsh' scarf?

I bought three on eBay recently, not paying more than $225 per scarf, which was the Buy-It-Now price. I'm not sure why shill bidding would be an issue when the BIN is as low as that, given that scarves at H boutiques are now commanding $355.

Well, let's distinguish between a self-promotional scarf eg for the opening of a Hermes boutique, or one done by Hermes to benefit a charity of its own choosing (eg the New Orleans special issues, and the Conservancy too, I think), and one done for a independent organization.

Someone has to commission any new artwork (if it is a new design..) - don't know what that costs. The cheapest is select an existing design and add an inscription like Neiman's did with Cheval Fleuri.

The minimum quantity is 100 scarves, and someone has to pay for those 100 scarves AHEAD of time. I have heard that there is NO discount, but this could be inaccurate. But, obviously NM did not pay Hermes full retail for the Cheval Fleuri.

So, let's say the scarves cost $250 instead of the $345ish retail price. Someone has to pay $25,000+ UP FRONT.

Then you turn around and sell those 100 scarves at $350 and make $100/scarf, for a total of $10,000 - if you are lucky enough to sell them all.

The hard part is choosing a design. To give you an idea of this difficulty

- some people want a modern scarf - Atlanta Zoo chose the lime green Zebras II a few years - others HATE that choice

- others want a scarf that bears an obvious Hermes logo, eg the de Passage a Tokyo with the ginormous HERMES in the corner, or Bolduc au Carre with 5347 caleches on it - others would rather wear a dishrag than a logo laden scarf

- what color ? black is universally popular in the US, but EVERYONE already has a black scarf... how about lime green ?

Well, anyway you get the idea, if you know someone with $20,000-$40,000 to bankroll the scarves, then he/she gets to pick the design and hopefully it will be popular choice and you will not have excess inventory on it, like is obviously the case with the SCAD scarf.

I almost made a thread recently wondering about how organizations go about getting commemerative scarves made for them. I've quite a few now...from the SCAD scarves to the Central Park Conservancy scarves to the Charlotte Turandot and Palm Beach Polo scarves. Has anyone had any experience with this? I've recently become involved with a regional organization that seems well suited to support such an endeavor.

Well, I read this thread and really liked the scarve so I bid on it a few days ago. I didn't win so I wrote to "amyandrandy" saying if they came across anymore of them in green or aubergine cws to let me know. Then I got a second chance notice to buy that green scarf and saw they "found" an aubergine which they listed for $245 or bin $275. I then wrote and asked to buy both for $225 each. They agreed and I did. I see that they still have the aubergine scarf listed with a bid for $245. They must have found 2 aubergines! hmmm I wonder when the supply will dry up? Are Amy and Randy busy in their basement? :lol:

Well, let's distinguish between a self-promotional scarf eg for the opening of a Hermes boutique, or one done by Hermes to benefit a charity of its own choosing (eg the New Orleans special issues, and the Conservancy too, I think), and one done for a independent organization.

Someone has to commission any new artwork (if it is a new design..) - don't know what that costs. The cheapest is select an existing design and add an inscription like Neiman's did with Cheval Fleuri.

The minimum quantity is 100 scarves, and someone has to pay for those 100 scarves AHEAD of time. I have heard that there is NO discount, but this could be inaccurate. But, obviously NM did not pay Hermes full retail for the Cheval Fleuri.

So, let's say the scarves cost $250 instead of the $345ish retail price. Someone has to pay $25,000+ UP FRONT.

Then you turn around and sell those 100 scarves at $350 and make $100/scarf, for a total of $10,000 - if you are lucky enough to sell them all.

The hard part is choosing a design. To give you an idea of this difficulty

- some people want a modern scarf - Atlanta Zoo chose the lime green Zebras II a few years - others HATE that choice

- others want a scarf that bears an obvious Hermes logo, eg the de Passage a Tokyo with the ginormous HERMES in the corner, or Bolduc au Carre with 5347 caleches on it - others would rather wear a dishrag than a logo laden scarf

- what color ? black is universally popular in the US, but EVERYONE already has a black scarf... how about lime green ?

Well, anyway you get the idea, if you know someone with $20,000-$40,000 to bankroll the scarves, then he/she gets to pick the design and hopefully it will be popular choice and you will not have excess inventory on it, like is obviously the case with the SCAD scarf.

love your comments, MT, always right to the point!

My green and aubergine (almost brown) scarves came today and they really are lovely! FYI they don't have the Hermes tag but they do have the same black care tag. The green cw is far brighter/acid than in the photos; not olive but loud lime.

P.S. The sellers are in Savannah and I will PM the return address to whomever feels the need to dig further.

I'm sure you could just PM them and ask about why they have so many. I have found them really great to deal with.

I know that my Junior League chapter got rid of a lot of cookbooks at discounted prices through eBay, using an ordinary-sounding username. We needed to reduce our inventory (and make any kind of money fairly quickly.) I've heard of other non-profits doing similar things. Is there any reason to think there's something amiss here?