who has adopted two adult cats at the same time

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I'm looking to adopt two bonded cats or a pair of siblings. Preference is a young but not teeny tiny pair of kittens - maybe 5 months to a year old. This isn't the best time of year to look for kittens. I went on a mission to see a pair of five-month-old kitties. One of the pair was cute but busy playing; his sister slept the whole time.
There was a pair of bonded two-year-old males and one of them took a liking to me. I'm considering them but I've never gotten two cats at the same time and my cats have almost all started either as young kittens or around year old - so still kittenish.
On the one hand the adults would be less disruptive I think. But when I try to envision suddenly having two large cats in the house, it seems a bit strange.
Advice?

Just saw your post! (Finally!)
I adopted two adult male cats together. They were not bonded, and they came from two different rooms at the same shelter. One was a 10 year old senior, and the other was a 2 year old rescued from a hoarding situation. In relatively short time, they became very bonded. There were no real behavior issues between the two of them. Speaking of large cats, the older one was a robust 19 pounder when we got him, and he had a big-boned muscular build. The younger was not in great health, but with love and good food he grew into a huge fluff. He was a Maine Coon, but we had no idea of that when we adopted him because he didn't have much fur due to previous neglect. For me, adopting 2 at one time was not that much different than adopting one, and I'd definitely do it again.

It's been awhile since you first posted. What did you end up doing? :smile:

Just wanted to add this photo - my old guy's shelter pic - the one on the left. He was dumped with his brother. We had intended to take both of them, but the brother had already been adopted, so we adopted a different second cat (the Maine Coon) instead.2020-01-30_21-48-46.jpg

Just wanted to add this photo - my old guy's shelter pic - the one on the left. He was dumped with his brother. We had intended to take both of them, but the brother had already been adopted, so we adopted a different second cat (the Maine Coon) instead.View attachment 4653587
adorable.....bless you for adopting and esp a ten-year-old
As I may have said on another post, I almost adopted a pair of two-year-olds. I was not pulling the trigger and someone else took them. I think I got the right pair. Not tiny kittens running wild all day and night. But still have a lot of kitten in them which I love. They sleep much of the day and party at night.

Reactions: skyqueen