Tech Who has a GPS Navigation-recommend?

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
I would like to get my 17 year-old son a GPS. Do you find them helpful or more confusing? If anyone highly recommends or strongly discourages a certain type or brand, please advise! Is it best to have installed at dealer? TIA!

I am using a portable Garmin, it is really good. Easy to use, and it takes little time to connect to the satellite. It cost around $260.
The only problem is i canot search by post code.
If you buy portable gps, make sure you take it off and hide it in the car after you park the car, so the bad people won't break the window and steal it.
If you have your car dealer install one in the car, it cost much more.

Last edited:
I have the TomTom wide screen one, forgot which model but it was from 2008. Don't get one that is installed into your car. Just get a portable one so you can use it in any car. Garmin and TomTom are the most popular ones. Very easy to use and was very useful to me when DH and I went to Cali - everywhere was driving cuz we took a road trip from SF to LA to Vegas and back to SF. It was like a yellow page for us too cuz we were also able to search for Walmart, Target nearby for stocking up on food etc.

Just make sure you set the addresses you want on the device before getting on the road. I get nervous when DH is searching on the device while he is driving - I always get the passenger to do it and I keep my eyes on the road. If you make the wrong turn, it will automatically adjust for you and give you an alternate direction to get back on track.

TomTom will give you one free map update, after that you have to pay. That's why we chose this brand over Garmin. We still haven't updated our maps yet as long as we are not venturing into new areas that are not developed yet.

I have a Garmin Nuvi that is a couple of years old and I love it. One thing that I find helpful on mine is that it speaks the street names, some dont, I think that is a huge advantage. They can be found in the $200 range.

Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have to bargain shop. I wonder if they're sold at Best Buy and other electronic stores. Anyone get theirs from BJs, Costco or Sam's Clubs?

Thanks for the quick responses. Now I have to bargain shop. I wonder if they're sold at Best Buy and other electronic stores. Anyone get theirs from BJs, Costco or Sam's Clubs?

Costco has a few Garmin & Magellen models in-store right now! The prices are okay, comparable to that of Amazon.com's. I think Amazon MAY be a bit cheaper, but if you want one ASAP, Costco is fine. So, the models they sell at Costco don't seem to be available on Amazon.com.

Costco and Bjs are no bargain for them. Ive found the ones they are selling cheaper elsewhere. Try ebay, Im going to buy mine from there and some of the models are much cheaper.

We got ours from Best Buy and it was on sale for $199 at the time. I would rather go with the retail route rather than ebay cuz you still get that one year warranty with it plus it gives you an opportunity to try it out for 14 days to see if you like it. TomTom and Garmin format are different so it depends on what you are comfortable with. Garmin is more user friendly for those who's not comfortable with gadgets but I didn't have any problems navigating the TomTom either. Good luck with your decision!!!

DH and I have a Magellan and LOVE it! We dont go anywhere without it. It speaks the names of the streets which I like and since we have 4 cars-we got a portable one instead of having one installed. It also helps if were riding with someone else. Good Luck!

I have a Garmin and a Magellan system, Garmin I would have to say has better maps, but I like the voice of the Magellan system better. Just remember to remind your son to keep his eyes on the road, it's pretty easy to stray and look at the GPS instead of what's going on outside !

I have a TomTom and i have found it to be horrible, not only does it take a while to load and figure out where you are, sometimes it will make it seem like your driving on the dirt next to the road. Two of my friends just bought the new version tomtoms and have said that they dont work well either. While it will find you quickly, it makes the car (on the screen) jump around alot jumping between roads that are close and it will become confusing as you are driving.

Honestly, if he's 17, I'd recommend against it. It's useful to have a young person learn how to figure out how to get around on their own.
The only time I use Nav is as a reference..after I've figured out my course and pretty much know where I'm going.

I am 23 and won't use a GPS, only Googlemaps on my blackberry when I'm going somewhere far. I think that driving around town without a GPS helps me remember where things are so I don't grow dependent on it.

I use it when traveling. It'll tell you where resturants, malls, attractions, gas, hotels.....
I have a Garmin Nuvi. You can find them at Walmart, sams, best buy.

I have a problem while on a trip of missing a turn and the gps recalculated another way to go which took me threw a scary part of town.