Tech Who has a GPS Navigation-recommend?

I am 23 and won't use a GPS, only Googlemaps on my blackberry when I'm going somewhere far. I think that driving around town without a GPS helps me remember where things are so I don't grow dependent on it.

how do you do that? is that an application?

everyone is telling me to get a GPS. currently, I go to yahoo! or google maps for directions and print them out. lol

Honestly, if he's 17, I'd recommend against it. It's useful to have a young person learn how to figure out how to get around on their own.
The only time I use Nav is as a reference..after I've figured out my course and pretty much know where I'm going.

I disagree. When I was 17 if I didnt have a navigation in my RX I would have been lost so many times. Even knowing most of the roads around where I live it still saved me a few times when I ventured into the unknown.

I need a GPS that one can INPUT several local addresses and the GPS will set them in order from current location and navigate from point A to B to C to D etc...? KWIM? Is there such a critter?

I disagree. When I was 17 if I didnt have a navigation in my RX I would have been lost so many times. Even knowing most of the roads around where I live it still saved me a few times when I ventured into the unknown.

I got lost a lot, but that's how I figured things out and paid attention to my surroundings so I wouldn't get lost again. I think, at a young age, learning to rely on something like a GPS produces less independent adults, but hey, that's me. :smile:

Jahpson:
http://www.google.com/mobile/products/maps.html#p=default

That was used quite a lot on our trip to Atlanta this past weekend.

Garmin Nuvi 760. I usually remember how to get to a place once I've been there so I usually use the GPS in lieu of printing directions from Google Maps- just to get there the first time.

Although at 17 he may become too dependent on having GPS, but you know your son best.

See I dont think as an adult he would become dependant on it. After using mine to go to a few different places I know exactly how to get there without using one at all.

Ok, what would you do if you were in an unfamiliar area without GPS? Would you know how to orient your self and determine the best route to take in order to find your way out? Would you still being paying enough attention to retrace your steps?? Would you have been able to do that at 17 without GPS??

That's more of what I'm talking about. Making sure you can get around without having to rely on GPS..just in case you don't have one for one reason or another.

Ok, what would you do if you were in an unfamiliar area without GPS? Would you know how to orient your self and determine the best route to take in order to find your way out? Would you still being paying enough attention to retrace your steps?? Would you have been able to do that at 17 without GPS??

That's more of what I'm talking about. Making sure you can get around without having to rely on GPS..just in case you don't have one for one reason or another.

I use my spidey senses. :biggrin: Having common sense helped me get around Paris without knowing a lick of French!

I just purchased a Garmin a couple of months ago and I'm so glad I did! We went to NJ a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you it's so much nicer not to have a lot of print out of maps to family members or friends houses. All of their addresses are saved in the gps. Just find their name and click and there u go! !

I bought a Garmin Nuvi a year or two ago and, honestly, it's probably one of the best tech toys I've ever owned!

It has been invaluable on out-of-town trips when I haven't had the ability to plan routes ahead of time or if I need to know where the closest gas station is (a feature on the Nuvi that has already been discussed). I even bought the additional maps for Italy when i was there last fall. It didn't work as well as it does in the states, but still worth the $$$.

The best thing about a GPS, in my opinion, is its ability to help you reroute if you miss a turn or have to detour. This feature alone makes it worth the money if you are driving in an unfamiliar place.

I use the iphone app called navigon + windsheild mount and it will tell me where to turn etc just like a real gps. Ended up getting the app because I am afraid I was going to leave a gps system on my windshield and w/ the current economy, I didn't want to lure someone into breaking into my car. I never forget my phone.

I have a Garmin and like it. It is taking longer to find a signal though, but it is 3 yrs old. I have not updated the maps either b/c it is $100 and for $100 more, I can just buy a new one...

Newegg.com sometimes has good deals on them.