Who else hates paying retail price?

2 stars

May 15, 2014
I have a dilemma....well sort of.

I really, really, really want a pink medium selma however only 2 stores online carry it Zappos and Lord and Taylor both at retail price. I HATE paying retail price because I know that 2 months from now they will either a) be on sale or b) the stores will have a sale (friends and family, VIP sale u name it). Side note I've NEVER paid retail for any of my handbags EVER. It's not always good to wait because sometimes it's almost impossible to find what I really want. Like when I wanted the dark dune and it wasn't available anywhere....thank god I found it. I'm not sure if I should just pull the trigger and order the medium deep pink selma from Lord and Taylor or if I should just wait for their F&F sale? The sale should be towards the end of October. Can I purchase the selma and when the F&F sale comes up am I able to price match the sale? (Given that I don't take tags off)

I did a pre-sale at Macy's on a medium black selma which I'm not sure if I'm keeping yet but it was 25% off. I also bought a mini black selma messenger 3 weeks ago. What to do, what to do?

Last edited:
I have a dilemma....well sort of.

I really, really, really want a pink medium selma however only 2 stores online carry it Zappos and Lord and Taylor both at retail price. I HATE paying retail price because I know that 2 months from now they will either a) be on sale or b) the stores will have a sale (friends and family, VIP sale u name it). Side note I've NEVER paid retail for any of my handbags EVER. It's not always good to wait because sometimes it's almost impossible to find what I really want. Like when I wanted the dark dune and it wasn't available anywhere....thank god I found it. I'm not sure if I should just pull the trigger and order the medium deep pink selma from Lord and Taylor or if I should just wait for their F&F sale? The sale should be towards the end of October. Can I purchase the selma and when the F&F sale comes up am I able to price match the sale? (Given that I don't take tags off)

I did a pre-sale at Macy's on a medium black selma which I'm not sure if I'm keeping yet but it was 25% off. I also bought a mini black selma messenger 3 weeks ago. What to do, what to do?
Deep pink is a new color, so should be around for at least the next few months. If you are concerned about missing out, you can buy at full retail now from either Zappos or L&T, making sure to fully understand their return policies. Normally, as long as you haven't used the bag and still have all of the original tags attached, you can return it at a later date. Then I would keep my eye out for the next sale(s) and try to repurchase it then. If you do get one on sale later, then return the one you purchased at full retail price.

It isn't normal store policy to allow price adjustments more than roughly two weeks from purchase. Every store is different, so check the store policies on this one. You might get them to make an exception, but it will definitely be an exception. The bottom line is DO YOUR RESEARCH...check return and price adjustment policies thoroughly before doing anything.

Last edited:
*raises hand* I really hate paying retail price, I sometimes wonder how stores like Macy's are still in business seriously. There are places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc... why would anyone pay like $50 for like an XOXO top from Macy's when you can get stuff for $16.99? Dont get me started on amazon prime too...

But I digress! lol I never buy anything online without checking retailmenot first. You can also try downloading the promofly add on, I believe it's an add on with Firefox and google chrome!

*raises hand* Me!! I buy all of my clothes from TJ Maxx and Marshall's- why pay more elsewhere? I was looking at this pretty sweater on Saks Off Fifth ($267) and found a similar one at TJs for $16.99! I currently have an LV agenda on layaway with Fashionphile because I didn't see the need to spend an extra $115 for brand new. This recession hit me hard (graduated from undergrad in 2009) but it's taught me a lot. There's rarely a need to pay retail. I have the patience for the discount stores so that's where I shop.

*raises hand* I really hate paying retail price, I sometimes wonder how stores like Macy's are still in business seriously. There are places like TJ Maxx, Marshall's etc... why would anyone pay like $50 for like an XOXO top from Macy's when you can get stuff for $16.99? Dont get me started on amazon prime too...

But I digress! lol I never buy anything online without checking retailmenot first. You can also try downloading the promofly add on, I believe it's an add on with Firefox and google chrome!
I've heard of retailmenot before but never knew what it was. I'm going to have to download it. Thanks for the info.

*raises hand* Me!! I buy all of my clothes from TJ Maxx and Marshall's- why pay more elsewhere? I was looking at this pretty sweater on Saks Off Fifth ($267) and found a similar one at TJs for $16.99! I currently have an LV agenda on layaway with Fashionphile because I didn't see the need to spend an extra $115 for brand new. This recession hit me hard (graduated from undergrad in 2009) but it's taught me a lot. There's rarely a need to pay retail. I have the patience for the discount stores so that's where I shop.
I never find anything at Tjmaxx or Marshall's but then again the stores by me are not in good neighborhoods so their selections are not that great. However I never buy anything without it being on sale or having a coupon. I know 2-3 months down the road it's going to be discounted so there's no need to pay retail.

I hate paying retail price for anything. My LV and Chanel are vintage, and when I buy MK I am an outlet shopper [Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx]. My first thought, and idea for you, is always to check Ebay first. If you are okay with getting something pre loved, you can get a really good deal on bags that are usually barely used. If I 'have' to buy anything at a retail store I wait for coupons. You're right, there's always some kind of sale about to happen.
About the pink Selma, if you think it will sell out between now and the presale, and you REALLY can not stand the idea of missing out on it... then you could think about getting it now. Otherwise, you can ask an associate when they are going to be preselling for f&f, they are usually very happy to tell you because they have presale goals LOL. You also may be able to ask how many they have left, if they think they might sell out before the presale hits. Knowing about the presale is half the battle IMO, a lot of people don't know that stores do that, and during the sale is when I'd bet it would sell out if it was going to. So putting it away before the sale would be ideal.

I own 7 MK bags (3 large Selmas, 2 n/s Hamilton totes, 1 large center stripe Sutton, and 1 large colorblock Miranda) and didn't pay retail price for any of them. Not one! The retail price, including tax, for most of them was around $400, but I only paid on average about $250 for each, including tax, (less for some and more for others) through a combination of sales, coupons, double coupons, price matching, new store charge card discounts, and online discounts. Even my Miranda, the most expensive bag in my MK collection, was purchased at 50% off on sale from an online retailer. So, yes, I also hate paying retail price for anything and avoid it at all costs. As long as you can research, research, research what you want to purchase and then wait for a good time to buy, there are very few times you'll ever have to pay full retail price for anything.

I hate paying retail price for anything. My LV and Chanel are vintage, and when I buy MK I am an outlet shopper [Ross, Marshalls, TJ Maxx]. My first thought, and idea for you, is always to check Ebay first. If you are okay with getting something pre loved, you can get a really good deal on bags that are usually barely used. If I 'have' to buy anything at a retail store I wait for coupons. You're right, there's always some kind of sale about to happen.
About the pink Selma, if you think it will sell out between now and the presale, and you REALLY can not stand the idea of missing out on it... then you could think about getting it now. Otherwise, you can ask an associate when they are going to be preselling for f&f, they are usually very happy to tell you because they have presale goals LOL. You also may be able to ask how many they have left, if they think they might sell out before the presale hits. Knowing about the presale is half the battle IMO, a lot of people don't know that stores do that, and during the sale is when I'd bet it would sell out if it was going to. So putting it away before the sale would be ideal.
The prices at my closest MK outlet are ridiculous! I went in there twice and was like Macy's has cheaper prices than these. I was telling people not to buy anything and to check their department stores. The SA's weren't too happy with me. The Tjmaxx and Marshall's around me carry a very small selection of items. I have never found anything at those stores. I'm better off shopping at Macy's or Carson's.

I saw the deep pink color at Macy's today and it's more of a purple so I think I'm going to wait and see what colors MK comes out for the spring.

I own 7 MK bags (3 large Selmas, 2 n/s Hamilton totes, 1 large center stripe Sutton, and 1 large colorblock Miranda) and didn't pay retail price for any of them. Not one! The retail price, including tax, for most of them was around $400, but I only paid on average about $250 for each, including tax, (less for some and more for others) through a combination of sales, coupons, double coupons, price matching, new store charge card discounts, and online discounts. Even my Miranda, the most expensive bag in my MK collection, was purchased at 50% off on sale from an online retailer. So, yes, I also hate paying retail price for anything and avoid it at all costs. As long as you can research, research, research what you want to purchase and then wait for a good time to buy, there are very few times you'll ever have to pay full retail price for anything.
I just recently started collecting MK handbags I own 4 (2 medium selmas, 1 e/w hamilton, 1 mini selma messenger, and a card holder). I had purchased a tech continental wallet but ended up selling it because it was too heavy and only held 8 cards. I have NEVER paid retail for any of my handbags even when I used to collect Coach bags. I'm thinking about canceling my pre order for the medium black selma and get the signature jet set travel wallet instead since it holds tons of cards. The only bad think about waiting for something to go on sale is that sometimes it sells out. That happened with the medium dark dune selma I was looking for. I didn't want to pay full price so I didn't buy it but really wanted it. I ended up finding it at Lord and Taylor so I opened a card for 15% off and since it came with a slight crease during shipping I might get an additional discount. The process has taken about a month Lord and Taylor is so slow at everything but i'm crossing my fingers that they finally give me the discount.

I just recently started collecting MK handbags I own 4 (2 medium selmas, 1 e/w hamilton, 1 mini selma messenger, and a card holder). I had purchased a tech continental wallet but ended up selling it because it was too heavy and only held 8 cards. I have NEVER paid retail for any of my handbags even when I used to collect Coach bags. I'm thinking about canceling my pre order for the medium black selma and get the signature jet set travel wallet instead since it holds tons of cards. The only bad think about waiting for something to go on sale is that sometimes it sells out. That happened with the medium dark dune selma I was looking for. I didn't want to pay full price so I didn't buy it but really wanted it. I ended up finding it at Lord and Taylor so I opened a card for 15% off and since it came with a slight crease during shipping I might get an additional discount. The process has taken about a month Lord and Taylor is so slow at everything but i'm crossing my fingers that they finally give me the discount.
Did I mention that I purchased the 7 MK bags in 7 months?! LOL. MK bag buying is so addictive. I know what you mean about things selling out. But more often than not if I'm diligent in my search I tend to eventually find what I'm looking for or something better. I don't usually have to worry about returning things because I spend so much time researching and deciding on exactly what I want. I hope your return process with L&T goes smoothly and that you eventually find your medium black Selma with shw.