White Woven Hobo - how dirty will it get?

Mar 16, 2006
I'm considering getting the white large woven hobo and I'm wondering how realistic would it be since I live in NYC? I'm the type of person that cannot stand it when there's even a slight mark on the bag. For those who own the white woven hobo, how long were you able to keep it clean and when it got dirty, were you able to clean it?

Or should I get Anemone?

Any help would be so appreciated!

I have a creamy color (Aurora) Veneta so it's light enough to compare. Unless you wear gloves and carry it in a plastic bag or a large tote (and then, what's the point?) it will eventually show soil.

It was a month or so when the handle on mine began showing wear, but I live in a very humid climate so my hands are going to be soiling the bag faster than a normal climate. I'm very careful about putting my BV's down on anything that isn't clean or covered, but just carrying them will eventually result in wear, not always a dirty look, but rubbing on the edges. But I don't expect my bags to always look new.

Maybe some people have local leather cleaners that they would trust, but I'm sending my Veneta to BV for a cleaning. I haven't got an estimate yet, but people I've talked to are happy with the results of their bag going to the *spa*.

boxermom--I didn't know BV does leather cleaning, good to know:smile:....do the bags have to have been purchased directly through BV boutique/online or can I send a bag that I purchased through authorized retailers like NM? Does that matter?

i'm not worried about normal wear and tear, fading of the edges, scratches etc. i'm just worried how FAST the white leather will look grimy. can anyone help with this question? just don't want to get my bag and a month later have to send it to the "spa"

I'm the type of person that cannot stand it when there's even a slight mark on the bag.

Given the above, I would suggest another color, perhaps anemone as you mentioned.

You might love the white color but end up spending too much time taking care of it or worrying about getting the bag dirty. That might take some of the pleasure out of fully enjoying a white bag, especially if it's a bag that you intend to use on a very regular basis.

I have a white veneta. After a few times out, it started to show minor signs of wear, but they are very, very minor that you have to inspect closely. I'm more careful with this bag than my other BVs and I try not to hold the strap in my hand so it does not get soiling from the oil on my hand. When I wear it, I usually wear light color top to reduce the chance of color transfer. So far, I'm still quite happy with my bag. It stills looks snowy white from afar. However, I buy my bags to use, not to worship, so I really do not mind a few stains here and there. I think with all light color bags, you just have to be a bit more careful.

boxermom--I didn't know BV does leather cleaning, good to know:smile:....do the bags have to have been purchased directly through BV boutique/online or can I send a bag that I purchased through authorized retailers like NM? Does that matter?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter where you purchased the bag.

I've had several BV bags sent to the same boutique for cleaning and they just automatically accept the bags, no questions about where/when it was purchased.

Thanks Leah

And sweetsparkle, I have a bag in Camel(between Noce and Maple, a creamy beige) and I stain/water proofed it...and that made it hold up extremely well, looks as good as new. Maybe you can go that route if you really want a white bag:smile:

I'm considering getting the white large woven hobo and I'm wondering how realistic would it be since I live in NYC? I'm the type of person that cannot stand it when there's even a slight mark on the bag. For those who own the white woven hobo, how long were you able to keep it clean and when it got dirty, were you able to clean it?

Or should I get Anemone?

Any help would be so appreciated!

If you are concerned about marks, not sure that white would be

your best option.. other gorgeous BV bags are in the stores now..

did you do it yourself or have someone do it for you?

With the camel BV, I did it myself wearing disposable gloves, it was pretty easy and straightforward:smile:

I've also had other light colored bags (not BV) sent to LMB and get them protected and they've all turned out pretty well, I just had to keep reapplying their products every few months.

With the camel BV, I did it myself wearing disposable gloves, it was pretty easy and straightforward:smile:

I've also had other light colored bags (not BV) sent to LMB and get them protected and they've all turned out pretty well, I just had to keep reapplying their products every few months.

thanks! i love the white more than the anemone so might just take the plunge :smile:

You must also be careful about dye color transfer from dark jeans or other non-colorfast clothing items. This is not completely removeable.