white soleste - most bang for buck!

Phillyfan

O.G.
Nov 25, 2007
OMG! This is totally my opinion and I totally respect that others might disagree with me. But I had to share my "Tiffany" experience from last evening. My friend was looking at Tiffany e-rings - mostly round classic solitaire around .5 carat. The kind SA said she just put out in the case a dynamite ring to see. It was a .44 "F" VVS1 white soleste for $6100. OMG! It looked huge! There was such finger coverage that it looked as big as several of the $24,000 rings! Now I'm 48. And this is where I was tricked with the optical illusion . The inner halo looks like it is part of the center stone. It is hard (for my eyes) to really distinguish the inner halo around diamond. The outer halo is much more clear. On Tiffany site and yellow diamond double halo rings., it is much easier (for me) to distinguish.But in person, a .44 white soleste is magnificent! Just wanted to share. BTW, my friend loves the ring but wants to try to get one closer to $5,000 so she wants to see if she goes down to a "G" or "H" color and maybe a VS1, it would cost a little less than the "F" and VVS1.

I would like to see one of these in person, though I would not be interested in a VVS stone per se. My eyes would fall out of my face from the louping though lol

I looked at the white Soleste first when shopping for engagement rings. I was looking at 1 and 1.5 carats and I felt like I could see the double halo a little too much. I love halos, but for a 1+ stone a double halo def seems to take away from the center diamond. Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had been looking at the smaller sizes. The finger coverage w 1.5 was amazing tho!

dustgirl said:
I looked at the white Soleste first when shopping for engagement rings. I was looking at 1 and 1.5 carats and I felt like I could see the double halo a little too much. I love halos, but for a 1+ stone a double halo def seems to take away from the center diamond. Perhaps I would have felt differently if I had been looking at the smaller sizes. The finger coverage w 1.5 was amazing tho!

Totally agree!!! I had tried on a 1 carat for fun at Tiffany in October and the center stone is kind of blended together with the first halo. It is a beautiful ring with great coverage it's just the center stone is no longer the main attraction.

ame - Do you mean the VVS1 is too much clarity or too high on the scale? Is my friend better off with a VS1? I've been thinking about this ring on and off throughout the day. Wondering if prices are at peak right now and might not increase even more in the next 6 months on diamond engagement rings category. I know there has been chatter on Tiffany threads here that other Tiffany jewelry is expected to increase in January and February.

I am sure the soleste sparkls like crazy under the store lighting! But, I don't really like what the double halos look like when the inner halo is not blended with the center stone - when it's not sunny outside or in the room without lighting.:smile: Perhaps, mine's center stone is the yellow one.:biggrin:

Hokaplan said:
ame - Do you mean the VVS1 is too much clarity or too high on the scale? Is my friend better off with a VS1? I've been thinking about this ring on and off throughout the day. Wondering if prices are at peak right now and might not increase even more in the next 6 months on diamond engagement rings category. I know there has been chatter on Tiffany threads here that other Tiffany jewelry is expected to increase in January and February.

I think vvs1 is overkill since it is not visible to the naked eye and will not affect the sparkle and fire when vompared to a vs1. You could get a bigger stone OR pay less for a similar sized one.

I adore the Soleste, I agree with you Hoka that the first halo isn't as apparent as the second halo. I actually really like that because it seems its coming from underneath the diamond instead of being so separate & apparent that it would look like a flying saucer! Tiffany's did an amazing job with the setting on this ring all around, I love that there isn't an airline between halos and diamond at all!

I actually tried on a bigger Soleste a few days ago, I'll post a pic my hubby took for me. The center stone is 2.62 I believe but to us it looked A LOT bigger. I wear a size 9 and it covered a lot of my finger. This ring was a size 6 so obviously it did not fit my finger but you can get an idea of how huge it is! It almost looked bigger than my 3ct oval which also has a halo!

Attachments

• soleste tpf.jpg
    soleste tpf.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 8,113
My ring is platinum and my experience is that eventually, the platinum will turn into a greyish color. My suspicion is that eventually, the double halo will really stand out once the metal has oxidized....

So, you think in regular lighting, the inner halo is more visible?

Yes. Precisely, the innner halo AND the rail? in platinum between the inner and the outer halo.:smile: My soleste's yellow diamond is 1.17 carats. To get the same impact of the soleste's double halo, I had to go for a single halo with the center over 2 carats. So, I can't complain.;)

I adore the Soleste, I agree with you Hoka that the first halo isn't as apparent as the second halo. I actually really like that because it seems its coming from underneath the diamond instead of being so separate & apparent that it would look like a flying saucer! Tiffany's did an amazing job with the setting on this ring all around, I love that there isn't an airline between halos and diamond at all!

I actually tried on a bigger Soleste a few days ago, I'll post a pic my hubby took for me. The center stone is 2.62 I believe but to us it looked A LOT bigger. I wear a size 9 and it covered a lot of my finger. This ring was a size 6 so obviously it did not fit my finger but you can get an idea of how huge it is! It almost looked bigger than my 3ct oval which also has a halo!

Wow, that is stunning. From the picture on the website, I wasn't crazy about the double halo because I thought it looks a bit busy but from this picture I love it! A halo in general has the effect of making the center stone appear larger so I'm not surprised that a double halo really adds some omph to the center stone size appearance.