White nail tips : Drab or Fab?

^^^ I agree. I have great natural nails, and can do a perfect french manicure on my own nails. But with two dogs and a fiance to take care of, plus work, friends, etc., I just don't have the time! I was spending an hour or so every 3 days doing my nails! Now I wear pink and whites, done very tastefully, with my nails only about 1/8 - 1/4" above my fingertips (very short). I get them done every 2 weeks, and they always look perfect and go with any outfit. I also do acrylic on my toes because they make my toenails look perfectly even, all the time. The secret to acrylics (and makeup and hair too) is finding a good technician who won't make you look like a hooker.

Acrylics can be VERY damaging to your nails. But if you find a good tech, you can have them removed with almost no damage to your natural nails. A good tech will also watch for fungus and other issues, which is essential with acrylics.

Well, what happened is my HB looked at my newly manicured nails and said very loud " My Gosh , you look like an American now...' LOL That was not a compliment...

BTW, I'm French.... with short brown hair, ballet flats and minimal make-up.
So I guess they were such a contrast with what I likeand what I am that :
I went back to the saon, and asked my acrylic nails to be removed.
End of the experience

I get my natural nails american or French manicured, but I used to get acrylics, and now I have a CRACK in my thumbnail; it grows that way and will never go away! :tdown: it's very bad for your nails!

I get my natural nails american or French manicured, but I used to get acrylics, and now I have a CRACK in my thumbnail; it grows that way and will never go away! :tdown: it's very bad for your nails!

For this to happen the nail tech would have had to damage your matrix i.e. the place where your nail grows beyond the cuticle. It is exceptionally unusual he/she must have worked part-time as a butcher! Any damage done by bad nail technicians is usually just to the nail bed and grows out in approximately 4-6 months. I have heard of permanent damage being caused by the use of MMA in acrylic nails, but this is illegal is most US States. Again only a really bad nail technician would consider using it.

Champange Clara: Funny that your HB should think that a "French Manicure" makes a French person look like "An American"

IntlSet: I agree completely square nails are very unnatural looking. Real nails are always slightly more rounded.

Well, what happened is my HB looked at my newly manicured nails and said very loud " My Gosh , you look like an American now...' LOL That was not a compliment...

OUCH! :smile: Kinda stinks that Americans have a bad image in other parts of the world, but I can't say that I think it's undeserved.

I may be completely braindead today, but what is a HB?

^^^ I do too! My fingers are pretty long, and I feel like the more square tip makes them look finished somehow. I think square vs. round depends on how each looks on the hand. I like mine square across the top, but rounded on the edges (not sharp).