White Gold Rhodium Plating

cherryx6

Jan 2, 2019
I am thinking of getting a WG wedding band (my first Cartier piece, yay!), but am not the biggest fan of the greyish look that WG without diamonds has. I've heard that you can get WG without diamonds rhodium plated at Cartier with a charge. Can anyone share this experience with this? I've heard that it can possibly damage the ring?

Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Namwan-
They rhodiumized a plain WG love for me for something like $250. No problems. Don't see why it would make any difference or cause damage. Depends on the store - I've heard some say they don't do it. The store I went to was happy to accommodate.

Me too, I sent mine in to be plated and it was about the same charge. It looks great now.

Reactions: cherryx6
They rhodiumized a plain WG love for me for something like $250. No problems. Don't see why it would make any difference or cause damage. Depends on the store - I've heard some say they don't do it. The store I went to was happy to accommodate.
Me too, I sent mine in to be plated and it was about the same charge. It looks great now.

Thank you both for your input!!! I feel better about getting it plated now! Could you share any pics of the ring after it was plated? :smile:

Thank you both for your input!!! I feel better about getting it plated now! Could you share any pics of the ring after it was plated? :smile:

I should add that I was also told by the store I went to that a plain WG Love can't be sent in for plating. What they didn't know was I had communicated with the help desk in New York and they had told me it was no problem and would be about $250.00. I forwarded the e-mail to the store and they agreed that it could be done and sent it in for me. The help desk said that I could send it directly to their workshop, but I wanted to go through a store so they'd be responsible for it...and pay the shipping both directions. It took about two weeks and I think it looks so much better than the flat, stainless steel look of the natural. Some people like that look, but I didn't.

Does anyone who has had the plating done know how long it lasts and/or how often it needs to be redone if at all? I love the look of the WG Love plated just curious about the longevity.

Reactions: lizlime
I should add that I was also told by the store I went to that a plain WG Love can't be sent in for plating. What they didn't know was I had communicated with the help desk in New York and they had told me it was no problem and would be about $250.00. I forwarded the e-mail to the store and they agreed that it could be done and sent it in for me. The help desk said that I could send it directly to their workshop, but I wanted to go through a store so they'd be responsible for it...and pay the shipping both directions. It took about two weeks and I think it looks so much better than the flat, stainless steel look of the natural. Some people like that look, but I didn't.

Thank you! I also love the look better than the original one. I'm having a friend buy it for me in Hong Kong, and am hoping that they will be able to plate it for me!!!

I know this is from a while ago, but I was wondering how you contacted the New York Cartier about them rhodium plating the WG love bracelet (no diamonds).
I have been trying to find which place said that they could do it, but so far they have said they can't and wasn't sure where or how to contact.

I know this is from a while ago, but I was wondering how you contacted the New York Cartier about them rhodium plating the WG love bracelet (no diamonds).
I have been trying to find which place said that they could do it, but so far they have said they can't and wasn't sure where or how to contact.
I want to preface by saying I have zero experience with this issue through a Cartier store.

That being said, the rhodium plating process is very straight-forward. I've had a Gabriel and Co ring replated over 14k WG multiple times over the years by my local jeweler. It feels like the cost of plating gradually goes up every time, but it's still a super quick and inexpensive way to make WG shine like new.

If you really want your bracelet plated, and have a jeweler you trust locally, maybe just have them do it? I can understand wanting to stick with Cartier bc that's where you purchased your bracelet, but I've heard REALLY mixed things regarding their customer service when it comes to having work done on Loves (polishing when it wasn't desired, ridiculous lead-time for repairs, fixing loose screws that just come loose again, etc). If something was BROKE, I would be more compelled to stick with Cartier. Not so much with plating, just my 2 cents!

I emailed their customer support in NYC. Then I took it to a store for them to send in. All went well with the process.

Does anyone know if you can still do rhodium plating even after its been worn. I've been wearing my WG love bracelet and ring for a few weeks and I didn't know that I could get rhodium plating but now I'm interested in having it done.

Does anyone know if you can still do rhodium plating even after its been worn. I've been wearing my WG love bracelet and ring for a few weeks and I didn't know that I could get rhodium plating but now I'm interested in having it done.
Yes, mine was worn for many months before I sent it in for plating. The only issue is they'll need to polish it before plating.