White Gold- Cartier vs Tiffany (Tiffany wins).

BPC

Blue Jean Baby Queen prettiest Bal I've ever seen
O.G.
Mar 31, 2012
Over the summer, for my anniversary, I received a white gold Cartier Love necklace (was purchased directly from Cartier on 5th ave in nyc).

I thought, (wrongly) that Cartier white gold did not contain nickel, or if it did, the amounts were miniscule, and like Tiffany White gold, I wouldn't have an issue wearing it.

I thought this because there are laws in the EU about how much nickel gold is allowed to contain. The amount are very small due to nickel allergies (which I have).
Since Cartier obviously sells in EU countries, hell, they are a European company- the nickel content should not be an issue.

Holy **** was I wrong. I can't wear my Love necklace without my neck getting itchy. If I continue to wear it, i start to get a rash.

This is crazy. Tiffany's white gold doesn't do this, but Cartier does?? Are they selling a different product in Europe?? They must be because I can't believe this would acceptable there.

Anyway, lesson learned. If I want white gold, am sticking with Tiffany.

Thanks for letting me vent.

BPC

Blue Jean Baby Queen prettiest Bal I've ever seen
O.G.
Mar 31, 2012
Sorry to hear this. Have you contacted Cartier about it?

No. But only because I got back to NYC last week and have been catching up with work, and now with the holidays, I can only spare a few minutes here and there.
I am going to be contacting them right after New Years just to let them know.

Since I think it's way too late for a refund, I have a feeling I'll be (re) gifting it to my sister-in-law.

Thing is, I noticed in October that my neck was a little itchy but I chalked it up to the warm weather and my long hair. The thought of the necklace containing nickel didn't cross my mind.
It wasn't until just before we left to visit my parents, that I realized it wasn't my hair or the weather, it was just the necklace.