Whipping Post, Madewell and Cuyana tote owners

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I am looking for a light weight leather tote that is not to big. What is it about your totes that you like and what do you not like? Any other suggestions are welcome!

I love my Cuyana because it is light and effortless. DH spilled a brownie shake on it and forgot, I found it like 5 days later soaked with crud. I wiped it down with baby wipes and it was good as new.

It is definitely less structured than the Everlane tote, but that wasn't a deciding factor for me. My Cuyana will crumble into a pile if it is empty, but I use it for toting my laptop so that gives it structure. Cuyana comes in more colors and is a lower price point, and my regular size Cuyana easily holds a laptop, large wallet, cosmetic case, and other items. Both companies have great customer service.

I have been really enjoying looking at your bag. The problem for me is I do not carry that much and wish it was I tiny bit smaller , but I might just learn to deal with the size. Have you had a lot of the suede inside come off on your stuff? Is the cuyana sold in stores?

I second the Cuyana tote. I was looking for a reasonably priced black leather tote. I did not want something that was structured or stiff. I looked at Everlane and that was more than I wanted to spend on a tote. I saw the Whipping Post tote on a facebook feed and they were not for me; too stiff looking. Madewell is popular and was a close runner up but when I saw the Cuyana tote it had everything I was looking for; leather, price, size...I like the softness of the leather. It really is an easy tote to wear over your shoulder and hugs nicely into your body.

Here is another tote that I also considered that comes in lots of colors and reasonably priced.
http://www.leatherology.com/leather-totes/

I second the Cuyana tote. I was looking for a reasonably priced black leather tote. I did not want something that was structured or stiff. I looked at Everlane and that was more than I wanted to spend on a tote. I saw the Whipping Post tote on a facebook feed and they were not for me; too stiff looking. Madewell is popular and was a close runner up but when I saw the Cuyana tote it had everything I was looking for; leather, price, size...I like the softness of the leather. It really is an easy tote to wear over your shoulder and hugs nicely into your body.

Here is another tote that I also considered that comes in lots of colors and reasonably priced.
http://www.leatherology.com/leather-totes/

Did you order it or were you able to buy it in a store ? Have you had any issues with the seams like a poster in the other thread did ?

Did you order it or were you able to buy it in a store ? Have you had any issues with the seams like a poster in the other thread did ?

I ordered online after googling this bag for photos with real people carrying it and I wanted to see the different colors on people. I believe they have a store in San Francisco maybe? But I don't believe the bags are carried in a major store.

I believe you can return it if it hasn't been monogrammed. And I have not had any problem at all with my bag. I've had it about 2 months and carry it daily.

Hope that helps a little.:smile:

I ordered online after googling this bag for photos with real people carrying it and I wanted to see the different colors on people. I believe they have a store in San Francisco maybe? But I don't believe the bags are carried in a major store.

I believe you can return it if it hasn't been monogrammed. And I have not had any problem at all with my bag. I've had it about 2 months and carry it daily.

Hope that helps a little.:smile:

It does help. I am still a bit nervous about the size . I think I like your size better then the tall after all. I am going to do some more searching of pictures. I am think of the carmel but I also like the tangerine. I love your black but I have to many black bags.

Yes the tall would be way too much for me. Tangerine is really nice especially since the handles are a different color. Can't go wrong with caramel; great neutral. Stone will be my next choice.

Let us know what you decide even if you don't go with Cuyana. We love looking at bags!

You are so sweet. I was looking on line and the Carmel looks nice ,some older ones have very dirty corners, so I thought maybe go darker but they sold out of the dark brown . I will let you know what I decide .

As much as I love the look of my Whipping Post bag it is very heavy, even with nothing in it. I got an Hermes Double Sens and use that all the time now instead. But I still love looking at my WP :smile: It is stiff but over time these types of bags (raw vegetable tanned leather) greatly soften with use.

As much as I love the look of my Whipping Post bag it is very heavy, even with nothing in it. I got an Hermes Double Sens and use that all the time now instead. But I still love looking at my WP :smile: It is stiff but over time these types of bags (raw vegetable tanned leather) greatly soften with use.

Thank you for letting me know. I have very sensitive shoulders and I can not wear heavy bags. It looks like yummy leather though.

I absolutely love the look of the Whipping Post tote - it's very 'me'. However, they're not readily available here in UK, and I don't want to run the international shipping/returns gambit for this one. If you do decide to buy it, it would be great if you'd post a review.

As a possible alternative, Jaeger have quite a few nice totes at the moment, and Jaeger leather is very durable. This one is reduced to GBP99 at the moment...

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy%20Oversized%20Tote%20Bag/790007H,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_790007H_color=20000&dwvar_790007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips

I absolutely love the look of the Whipping Post tote - it's very 'me'. However, they're not readily available here in UK, and I don't want to run the international shipping/returns gambit for this one. If you do decide to buy it, it would be great if you'd post a review.

As a possible alternative, Jaeger have quite a few nice totes at the moment, and Jaeger leather is very durable. This one is reduced to GBP99 at the moment...

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy Overs...0007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips

I love the look of this tote!

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy%20Oversized%20Tote%20Bag/790007H,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_790007H_color=20000&dwvar_790007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips

These bags are beautiful . I actually trying to find a slightly smaller tote which they have,but I am in the US . I think I would have the same issues with shipping if something was wrong with it.