Whipping Post, Madewell and Cuyana tote owners

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I am looking for a light weight leather tote that is not to big. What is it about your totes that you like and what do you not like? Any other suggestions are welcome!

mrsinsyder

Mar 8, 2013
Florida
I love my Cuyana because it is light and effortless. DH spilled a brownie shake on it and forgot, I found it like 5 days later soaked with crud. I wiped it down with baby wipes and it was good as new.

It is definitely less structured than the Everlane tote, but that wasn't a deciding factor for me. My Cuyana will crumble into a pile if it is empty, but I use it for toting my laptop so that gives it structure. Cuyana comes in more colors and is a lower price point, and my regular size Cuyana easily holds a laptop, large wallet, cosmetic case, and other items. Both companies have great customer service.

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I have been really enjoying looking at your bag. The problem for me is I do not carry that much and wish it was I tiny bit smaller , but I might just learn to deal with the size. Have you had a lot of the suede inside come off on your stuff? Is the cuyana sold in stores?

Jan 14, 2007
I second the Cuyana tote. I was looking for a reasonably priced black leather tote. I did not want something that was structured or stiff. I looked at Everlane and that was more than I wanted to spend on a tote. I saw the Whipping Post tote on a facebook feed and they were not for me; too stiff looking. Madewell is popular and was a close runner up but when I saw the Cuyana tote it had everything I was looking for; leather, price, size...I like the softness of the leather. It really is an easy tote to wear over your shoulder and hugs nicely into your body.

Here is another tote that I also considered that comes in lots of colors and reasonably priced.
http://www.leatherology.com/leather-totes/

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I second the Cuyana tote. I was looking for a reasonably priced black leather tote. I did not want something that was structured or stiff. I looked at Everlane and that was more than I wanted to spend on a tote. I saw the Whipping Post tote on a facebook feed and they were not for me; too stiff looking. Madewell is popular and was a close runner up but when I saw the Cuyana tote it had everything I was looking for; leather, price, size...I like the softness of the leather. It really is an easy tote to wear over your shoulder and hugs nicely into your body.

Here is another tote that I also considered that comes in lots of colors and reasonably priced.
http://www.leatherology.com/leather-totes/
Did you order it or were you able to buy it in a store ? Have you had any issues with the seams like a poster in the other thread did ?

Jan 14, 2007
Did you order it or were you able to buy it in a store ? Have you had any issues with the seams like a poster in the other thread did ?
I ordered online after googling this bag for photos with real people carrying it and I wanted to see the different colors on people. I believe they have a store in San Francisco maybe? But I don't believe the bags are carried in a major store.

I believe you can return it if it hasn't been monogrammed. And I have not had any problem at all with my bag. I've had it about 2 months and carry it daily.

Hope that helps a little.:smile:

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I ordered online after googling this bag for photos with real people carrying it and I wanted to see the different colors on people. I believe they have a store in San Francisco maybe? But I don't believe the bags are carried in a major store.

I believe you can return it if it hasn't been monogrammed. And I have not had any problem at all with my bag. I've had it about 2 months and carry it daily.

Hope that helps a little.:smile:
It does help. I am still a bit nervous about the size . I think I like your size better then the tall after all. I am going to do some more searching of pictures. I am think of the carmel but I also like the tangerine. I love your black but I have to many black bags.

Jan 14, 2007
Yes the tall would be way too much for me. Tangerine is really nice especially since the handles are a different color. Can't go wrong with caramel; great neutral. Stone will be my next choice.

Let us know what you decide even if you don't go with Cuyana. We love looking at bags!

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
You are so sweet. I was looking on line and the Carmel looks nice ,some older ones have very dirty corners, so I thought maybe go darker but they sold out of the dark brown . I will let you know what I decide .

ForeverInPink

…and Orange
Nov 26, 2013
Castle In the Sky
As much as I love the look of my Whipping Post bag it is very heavy, even with nothing in it. I got an Hermes Double Sens and use that all the time now instead. But I still love looking at my WP :smile: It is stiff but over time these types of bags (raw vegetable tanned leather) greatly soften with use.

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
As much as I love the look of my Whipping Post bag it is very heavy, even with nothing in it. I got an Hermes Double Sens and use that all the time now instead. But I still love looking at my WP :smile: It is stiff but over time these types of bags (raw vegetable tanned leather) greatly soften with use.
Thank you for letting me know. I have very sensitive shoulders and I can not wear heavy bags. It looks like yummy leather though.

Lips

dunzo
Oct 19, 2009
I absolutely love the look of the Whipping Post tote - it's very 'me'. However, they're not readily available here in UK, and I don't want to run the international shipping/returns gambit for this one. If you do decide to buy it, it would be great if you'd post a review.

As a possible alternative, Jaeger have quite a few nice totes at the moment, and Jaeger leather is very durable. This one is reduced to GBP99 at the moment...

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy%20Oversized%20Tote%20Bag/790007H,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_790007H_color=20000&dwvar_790007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips

Jan 14, 2007
I absolutely love the look of the Whipping Post tote - it's very 'me'. However, they're not readily available here in UK, and I don't want to run the international shipping/returns gambit for this one. If you do decide to buy it, it would be great if you'd post a review.

As a possible alternative, Jaeger have quite a few nice totes at the moment, and Jaeger leather is very durable. This one is reduced to GBP99 at the moment...

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy Overs...0007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips
I love the look of this tote!

dcooney4

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007

http://www.jaeger.co.uk/Hardy%20Oversized%20Tote%20Bag/790007H,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_790007H_color=20000&dwvar_790007H_size=ITM&start=19&cgid=accessories-bags

- Lips
These bags are beautiful . I actually trying to find a slightly smaller tote which they have,but I am in the US . I think I would have the same issues with shipping if something was wrong with it.