Which would you choose - ergo convertible tote or pleated satchel?

Jul 25, 2007
Im headed to my outlet on Tuesday to pick up my purple patent hobo, and I think Im going to bring the magenta convertible tote I bought last time (still NWT) to see if they have any magenta pleated satchels left. I really like the tote, but Im not sure how convenient that long strap will be, and I dont do cross-body, Im just kinda not sure about it. I dont even know if they have the magenta ergos left, but if they do, I know they are cheaper than the last time I was there. Just out of curiosity, which one of these bags to you guys like better? I have a pleated satchel in burnt orange and dont usually duplicate bags, but I really want something for the spring in the magenta leather. Thanks for your opinions! Ill post what I wind up with on Tuesday night.

I'd pick up the pleated satchel in a heartbeat. I don't have the convertible. I tried it at the store and it just doesn't work for me. The satchel is more functional and I could see myself using it all year round.

I actually like both bags alot, but if you don't like the long strap...well? It truly is a personal preference, but I like alll the colors the satchel comes in. I LOVE the burnt orange and the mahogany for fall! I think the magenta could really be a year 'round bag. And if they have rose, that's a good bag for spring and summer. I wish the magenta had the tattersall lining though, but the pink lining is pretty too. I'll be interested to see what you decide on!

I just called my outlet and they had the magenta pleated. The nice SA said they could just hold it with my other bag, since I may just do the exchange. Then I can compare the two - and its $160ish which is much better than the $235 it was last time I was there. Cant wait for Tuesday now!!!

Hmmm...mine is still sitting NWT as well. TBH, I'm not a huge pleated satchel fan, though. I had the choice of both and chose the convertible, but I agree about the strap. I'm very short, and it doesn't work that great on me...I also don't do Xbody much either except on a very rare occasion. I do like the look of the convertible, though. It's a tough decision. I would probably try both and see how you like it. Also be careful...the magenta is having some color transfer issues. I would probably worry more about the satchel since it's up closer to my body.

I was at Lahaska I think a week ago, and they still had magenta pleated satchels. NOt sure about the other outlets, but you could do a charge send probably if you're going to AC and they don't have it but another outlet does. Just call around and have someone hold it.

Thanks for your opinions, everyone. I really think the convertible is cute, and I love the little kisslock pocket and its different than anything I have, but the bag hits me in the butt when I walk cause the strap is so long! I actually tried to just move the strap up to shorten it, but when i put my stuff in it, it came right through the buckle, so it wont stay that way. I had them hold the magenta and I guess I'll just have to make a choice. I will be careful about the color transfer too, baglady - I can see how this color would "bleed" more than others. I probably wouldnt take either of them out in the rain. Im actually surprised they are still there - there were a ton the last two times I went there, both in Dec and Jan - they must keep getting them in. At least I'll probably get the lowest price, on either bag. and although the prices are great, I really dont want or need two magenta bags.

I choose pleated satchel by far. I have always loved this bag, and the ergo is cute but I don't know that I've ever really "loved" it. Good luck deciding!

Donnalynn, I'm sure you know what I'm going to vote for, lol :roflmfao: I love my Ergo convertible and use it a lot. It's incredibly comfy in the hand tho I wear mine mostly on the shoulder and crossbody. Thankfully, I haven't had any of the color transfer issues Baglady mentioned *knocks wood*
BUT I also think the pleated satchel is gorgeous and I love the tattersall fabric lining. If it would work better for you, definitely exchange it. And what a deal that would be at 160ish :tup:

well the pleated satchel is the best choice. I hope they have good stuff, I was going to try going to New Hope, PA outlets today since its so nice out but I woke up too late. Still going to AC on monday though and would love a burnt orange or mahogony pleated ergo satchel!!

Have fun on Tues!!