Which would you choose - ergo convertible tote or pleated satchel?

donnalynn11

Jul 25, 2007
Im headed to my outlet on Tuesday to pick up my purple patent hobo, and I think Im going to bring the magenta convertible tote I bought last time (still NWT) to see if they have any magenta pleated satchels left. I really like the tote, but Im not sure how convenient that long strap will be, and I dont do cross-body, Im just kinda not sure about it. I dont even know if they have the magenta ergos left, but if they do, I know they are cheaper than the last time I was there. Just out of curiosity, which one of these bags to you guys like better? I have a pleated satchel in burnt orange and dont usually duplicate bags, but I really want something for the spring in the magenta leather. Thanks for your opinions! Ill post what I wind up with on Tuesday night.

Jul 4, 2008
I'd pick up the pleated satchel in a heartbeat. I don't have the convertible. I tried it at the store and it just doesn't work for me. The satchel is more functional and I could see myself using it all year round.

jayde123

Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Nov 8, 2008
MN
I actually like both bags alot, but if you don't like the long strap...well? It truly is a personal preference, but I like alll the colors the satchel comes in. I LOVE the burnt orange and the mahogany for fall! I think the magenta could really be a year 'round bag. And if they have rose, that's a good bag for spring and summer. I wish the magenta had the tattersall lining though, but the pink lining is pretty too. I'll be interested to see what you decide on!

SugarDaisy

~Lovely + Alive~
O.G.
Aug 31, 2008
I LOVE my ergo convertible but it all depends on which one you prefer carrying.

donnalynn11

Jul 25, 2007
I just called my outlet and they had the magenta pleated. The nice SA said they could just hold it with my other bag, since I may just do the exchange. Then I can compare the two - and its $160ish which is much better than the $235 it was last time I was there. Cant wait for Tuesday now!!!

baglady39

L E G A C Y
O.G.
Sep 15, 2007
Hmmm...mine is still sitting NWT as well. TBH, I'm not a huge pleated satchel fan, though. I had the choice of both and chose the convertible, but I agree about the strap. I'm very short, and it doesn't work that great on me...I also don't do Xbody much either except on a very rare occasion. I do like the look of the convertible, though. It's a tough decision. I would probably try both and see how you like it. Also be careful...the magenta is having some color transfer issues. I would probably worry more about the satchel since it's up closer to my body.

I was at Lahaska I think a week ago, and they still had magenta pleated satchels. NOt sure about the other outlets, but you could do a charge send probably if you're going to AC and they don't have it but another outlet does. Just call around and have someone hold it.

donnalynn11

Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for your opinions, everyone. I really think the convertible is cute, and I love the little kisslock pocket and its different than anything I have, but the bag hits me in the butt when I walk cause the strap is so long! I actually tried to just move the strap up to shorten it, but when i put my stuff in it, it came right through the buckle, so it wont stay that way. I had them hold the magenta and I guess I'll just have to make a choice. I will be careful about the color transfer too, baglady - I can see how this color would "bleed" more than others. I probably wouldnt take either of them out in the rain. Im actually surprised they are still there - there were a ton the last two times I went there, both in Dec and Jan - they must keep getting them in. At least I'll probably get the lowest price, on either bag. and although the prices are great, I really dont want or need two magenta bags.

vivi1205

**My Snow Pup**
O.G.
Jul 6, 2007
New England
Pleated satchel. Easily. The convertible is adorable, but I think the satchel is more versatile. GL with you decision!

jeh3v

RM Love
O.G.
Jun 5, 2008
Nashville, TN
I choose pleated satchel by far. I have always loved this bag, and the ergo is cute but I don't know that I've ever really "loved" it. Good luck deciding!

bagap

O.G.
Jul 31, 2008
Cali-4-Ni-A
Donnalynn, I'm sure you know what I'm going to vote for, lol :roflmfao: I love my Ergo convertible and use it a lot. It's incredibly comfy in the hand tho I wear mine mostly on the shoulder and crossbody. Thankfully, I haven't had any of the color transfer issues Baglady mentioned *knocks wood*
BUT I also think the pleated satchel is gorgeous and I love the tattersall fabric lining. If it would work better for you, definitely exchange it. And what a deal that would be at 160ish :tup:

kattykay

sofa king sexy!
Jun 8, 2008
new jersey
well the pleated satchel is the best choice. I hope they have good stuff, I was going to try going to New Hope, PA outlets today since its so nice out but I woke up too late. Still going to AC on monday though and would love a burnt orange or mahogony pleated ergo satchel!!

Have fun on Tues!!