Which would you buy?

angl2b

Noob
Dec 6, 2006
I am contemplating on a Chanel or a BV bag. I own a Chanel Ultimate Soft, but many have said that is not the same as a classic flap. I really want a BV also. But ultimately which one will last through the times and is worth the money? I know I am asking in the Chanel sub forum so I may get biased answers. But you all know so much about Chanel and some about BV also. Please shed some insight for me?

TIA.

I love both BV and Chanel. And both of these bags have proven to be timeless.

However, I personally believe that they are quite different from each other. BV (in general) seems more casual. Chanel (especially the classic flap)has more sophisticated look. If I were you, I would lean toward the Chanel...

I have both BV and Chanel, they are very different in style. BV is very understated and its leather is so soft and lightweight, with its unmistakenly BV weaving. On the other hand, Chanel is very attention grabbing with its chain straps and unmistakenly Chanel quilting.
BV is very easy to use but the soft leather looks worn out easily. Chanel flaps are very timeless, especially the caviar ones are really durable. Unfortunately, the bigger size jumbo flap can be a little heavy when fully loaded and the smaller medium size is kinda small and impractical.
Chanel has a much better resale value than BV. Many high-end consignment stores do not take BV because its difficult to keep BV bags in pristine condition.

Given that you own an ultimate soft (slouchy, boho-esque bag) I would steer towards BV as all of their styles are that "cozy." I find that my gfs who are into those types of bags tend to think classic flaps are a bit boxy and cumbersome under the arm.

:goodpost: However, I would like to add that the medium size is a good option if you are the kinda who doesn't carry very much! Like me ;)

I have both BV and Chanel, they are very different in style. BV is very understated and its leather is so soft and lightweight, with its unmistakenly BV weaving. On the other hand, Chanel is very attention grabbing with its chain straps and unmistakenly Chanel quilting.
BV is very easy to use but the soft leather looks worn out easily. Chanel flaps are very timeless, especially the caviar ones are really durable. Unfortunately, the bigger size jumbo flap can be a little heavy when fully loaded and the smaller medium size is kinda small and impractical.
Chanel has a much better resale value than BV. Many high-end consignment stores do not take BV because its difficult to keep BV bags in pristine condition.

Thanks for all the input. I am thinking of the new Chanel bag coming out, it is bigger than the Maxi? Or one of the Newer BV bags coming out.

I got the Ultimate soft at the consignment store not knowing what the bag was when I got it. I just knew it was a beautiful soft bag. I like and tend to lean towards bigger softer bags. Like I have the LV Galliera, it is very practical every day use. But the Chanel i wouldn't think of it as an every day bag vs. a BV. I could be wrong. Another good point that was made that BV is harder to maintain it's pristine condition. Which is what I was concerned about also.

OP, my vote is for Chanel. Although you are in the Chanel forum, I really think it is worth the money you spend on it not to mention it will last for years to come. The jumbo caviar is ideal however, it can get heavy if you carry alot. But if your shoulders could take it, definitely get it!

I know I am in the Chanel forum, but like I stated originally, I know a lot of ladies also have BV, so although it may be a biased opinion; I still respect it. I appreciate all thoughts and inputs because I have come to rely on tpf ladies' opinions and respect their infinite wisdom and knowledge on these beautiful bags.

That said, I am concerned on the weight of the bag also. Would the camera Chanel bag be a better alternative?

I have both BV and Chanel. For more casual days, I used my BV since it's a tote. Unlike with my Chanel, I used it from to night.

ITA! I have both and I think they are very different styles altogether. If you love a slouchy and super soft bag, then frankly, nothing is better than a BV for sheer quality. However the leather is quite fragile and again if you get the light colours, you do need to be careful about staining. Just like the chanel lambskin bags.

The iconic Chanel bags are largely structured bags and the chain straps just make them more formal by definition and therefore easier to make the day to evening transition, which is something you can't do with a BV.