Which way should I set this diamond

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
?

Set it vertically or horizontally

1. Vertical, keep it original!

3 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Horizontal, switch it up!

12 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. #1 Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    I’m having my engagement ring reset due to damage to the prongs. So, I love my original so much that I’m basically picking the same thing, even having the original side stones transferred to the new ring. Now, my jeweller is giving me the choice of setting my Center stone with the longest dimension set vertically (my original) or I can change it to be horizontal, basically like an east-west setting. What are your opinions, keep it exactly like original or flip it? I attached pics of my original ring, and the loose diamond (that I’m holding on to while jeweller casts my new ring.

luvprada likes this.
  2. IMG_7659.jpg IMG_7659.jpg IMG_7652.jpg IMG_7653.jpg

3. I like the way it looks in pic #3. For some reason it looks more substantial in that orientation. So this is a cushion cut? What are the dimension differences length versus width, if you don’t mind sharing?

PrincessAsya likes this.
  4. So my loose diamond is 6.5mm x 6.0mm, 1.25 carat. It was originally set long side vertically (so pics 1, 2, and 4). But now I have the option to flip it for the new setting (so pic 3). But I guess I’m hesitating because I’m not sure if it looks smaller flipped (pic 3) or if maybe it doesn’t lengthen my finger as much, and in general it’s just different than how I’m used to seeing it

5. So I guess I just wanted opinions before I give my jeweller the final decision.

6. Oh and yes, a cushion cut diamond

7. My vote is for flipping it. You already have long, elegant fingers...

katkrack and redearthlady like this.
  8. Awww, that’s very kind of you.

9. Can you try your new setting with the diamond balanced on both ways before it's set? That's what I would do.

10. I like the jeweler's suggestion. Your fingers are long and fine and changing the direction does make the center stone look more substantial, while in no way compromising the overall look.

11. Unfortunately not, he is casting the ring as one piece, so the band and prong head all one so as not to have a joint that I can damage again [emoji51]. So, that’s why I gotta let him know before he makes the mold and my design choice is locked in once he casts it.

12. Thank you for your reply. I wasn’t sure I guess, because I keep staring at my stone, but sometimes I think the stone looks smaller when flipped horizontally, and then other times I think the reverse is true. I obviously wouldn’t want to be making it look smaller,so that’s why I decided to take a step back and get some opinions.

I really appreciate the input!

13. I think it comes down to personal preference. I like cushion cuts a little "squared off" and so turning it 90 degrees kind of makes it appear a little more symmetrical (your pic 3). But the original way is nice as well.

You could go to the jeweler and just put it on top of some similar stock setting he may have (a thin pave shank with 4 prong setting should be fairly common) and then turn it both ways to see what you prefer.

14. I find, to my eye, it looks bigger turned

15. I agree with those who like it horizontal. It does look bigger!

skyqueen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice