Which watch to get? Help!

Pgirl2016

Dec 6, 2016
IMG_5882.jpgIMG_5878.jpgIMG_4852.jpg

I want to get 1 gold watch, as I’ve always wanted.
Which one should I get? I want to get something to last like 60 years hahhaa if I can live that long.

1. Rolex Day Date President 36mm. With diamond bezel. RRP around $43700 Australian
Pros - classic Rolex that holds value
2 Rolex datejust 31mm with diamond bezel and rubies. RRP around $39,000 Australia.
Pros - super cute and nice rubies detail. Not necessarily a classic piece.
3. yellow gold Audemars Piguet royal oak, 33mm with diamond. RRP around $49600 Australia.
Pros - it’s a gold AP!!!!!! It’s soooo beautiful to stare at.
Cons - it’s quartz movement ie battery. Not automatic. Only 37mm + have automatic movement and APs are well know for their amazing movement so would it be like getting a Ferrari with a Toyota engine? Hmmmm

Thankyou so much for everyone’s help!

Reactions: nvie and uhpharm01
View attachment 3939768View attachment 3939769View attachment 3939770

I want to get 1 gold watch, as I’ve always wanted.
Which one should I get? I want to get something to last like 60 years hahhaa if I can live that long.

1. Rolex Day Date President 36mm. With diamond bezel. RRP around $43700 Australian
Pros - classic Rolex that holds value
2 Rolex datejust 31mm with diamond bezel and rubies. RRP around $39,000 Australia.
Pros - super cute and nice rubies detail. Not necessarily a classic piece.
3. yellow gold Audemars Piguet royal oak, 33mm with diamond. RRP around $49600 Australia.
Pros - it’s a gold AP!!!!!! It’s soooo beautiful to stare at.
Cons - it’s quartz movement ie battery. Not automatic. Only 37mm + have automatic movement and APs are well know for their amazing movement so would it be like getting a Ferrari with a Toyota engine? Hmmmm

Thankyou so much for everyone’s help!
The first one.

The larger Rolex is way too big for your wrist. The smaller Rolex is an excellent size for you but I’m not a fan of the rubies, though. Can you get that one without the rubies? The AP is a little big but way too blingy.

The 31mm Rolex datejust will definitely see you through another 60 years. 36mm would be too big. AP is the most stunning and blingy.

Can I suggest other options? Patek Phillipe Twenty4 or Rolex Pearlmaster 34. I saw an elegant lady in her 60s wearing an all gold Pearlmaster and it looks so good on her.

IMG_1516625975.199702.jpg

IMG_1516625984.763373.jpg

Great choices! Personally I like the Day/Date Presidential...classic! I do like the Pearlmaster posted by @nvie. But for a long term watch you can't go wrong with the Presidential. As far as size is concerned...I'm in the older tPF member category. The older you get the harder it is to read the time. I now wear bigger watches so I can READ the damn time! I own a 33, 37, a 36mm size watch and find the 36mm perfect. I have small wrists but it works.
Does the Presidential come in a 34mm...might be worth it to try this size for piece of mind. Good luck and keep us posted.

Reactions: KBecks
First one. I'd be all about the AP if it were automatic, but with quartz you're just paying for the name.

Thankyou. You’re right with quartz movement it’s just not as good for AP! So that’s my biggest hesitation with the AP. Even the sales girl was reluctant to sell me the AP in quartz... she’s like I’m only going to sell you an automatic AP!

The larger Rolex is way too big for your wrist. The smaller Rolex is an excellent size for you but I’m not a fan of the rubies, though. Can you get that one without the rubies? The AP is a little big but way too blingy.

Yes can def the smaller 31mm Rolex without rubies. It comes with all types of dials, including just regular diamonds, index, Roman numerals etc. however the 31mm (smaller) Rolex is not really a classic. That’s why I like the IDEA of the larger Rolex (36mm) coz it’s a classic piece hahaha but yes it’s very very big. Jennifer Aniston wears it in 40mm!!!!!!! Which is the classic size and so does Victoria Beckham! And they have tiny wrists.

The 31mm Rolex datejust will definitely see you through another 60 years. 36mm would be too big. AP is the most stunning and blingy.

Can I suggest other options? Patek Phillipe Twenty4 or Rolex Pearlmaster 34. I saw an elegant lady in her 60s wearing an all gold Pearlmaster and it looks so good on her.

View attachment 3942067

View attachment 3942068

Thankyou so much for the suggestion. The PP is stunning but apparently they are super hard to get?