Which type of girl would carry a ______ ?

eye.bag

Jul 24, 2008
A girlfriend is meeting her potential Mother-In-Law, a rich Asian socialite, and is fretting about which bag to carry.. which leads me to an interesting thought:

What kind of image do you project when you carry a certain bag?
or
What type of girl would carry a ____ ?

Obviously, an Hermes lady would seem RICH.. but I am looking for more subtle, subliminal messages that would appeal to bag watchers and buyers..(which is probably why Kate Moss carries alot of Bbags and Victoria Beckham has H galore)

I'm not that familiar with all the brands and their marketing strategies, so would be happy to have your expert opinions!

Last edited:
Going to stereotype:

Is the MIL a rich Asian socialite nice or not so nice? traditional or not?

If MIL is nice then as long as the bag does not have holes. If she's well groomed then it's ok. Asian MILs care more about occupation, family aspirations and family background. Be polite, show how loyal you are and are willing to share her son with her. Always offer food to them before you eat.

If not so nice, the same as above but dress very well to show you're from the same background but not so well that you care more about fashion than their son (your boyfriend). You want to seem good enough for their son, not a gold digger.

She's gonna go for a black Bbag, she thinks no one can find fat with a black classic. But she has a couple Hermes, many bbags, miumius etc.

We talked about BV cos it's so classy but she says it's boring. Then we mentioned miumiu and she thought it was trendy but frivolous!! Which makes me wonder what kind of messages do these brands say.

ha, if the future MIL is worried about whether this girl is going to spend all her son's money, she will be eyeing her bag and jewelry.

I think the bag should be tasteful but not outshine what the MIL may be carrying. Maybe a petite Hermes Kelly in box or a tan Picotin. Also how she carries herself in deference to the MIL. That says tons more.

What kind of image do you project when you carry a certain bag?
or
What type of girl would carry a ____ ?

!

Hmm. This is interesting. I think the age of the person matters.

At 50, carrying Chanel says "traditional", at 20 it may say something else. Or maybe it just says good style at any age?

And the age of the bag matters too. A well loved LV could say that you know quality and a brand new one could say something else.

Hmm. This is interesting. I think the age of the person matters.

At 50, carrying Chanel says "traditional", at 20 it may say something else. Or maybe it just says good style at any age?

And the age of the bag matters too. A well loved LV could say that you know quality and a brand new one could say something else.

agreed.

Carry a bag that is you.. the bag should like like something you would carry

not a bag that would impress someone else.. clean, classic,& tasteful..

and if you can not afford a Chanel,LV or any other bag.. plenty of simple

good looking bags are available in the stores.. after all, you, the person is looking

to create an impression, your bag not so much...

Carry a bag that is you.. the bag should like like something you would carry

not a bag that would impress someone else.. clean, classic,& tasteful..

and if you can not afford a Chanel,LV or any other bag.. plenty of simple

good looking bags are available in the stores.. after all, you, the person is looking

to create an impression, your bag not so much...

I totally agree with you !!!

oh man this is a great post, the truth is that bags do say so much about us, don't they? And, also, I think that other women judge us by the bag we carry...well certain women at least. Like, if they hate logo's and you are into them, they can pinpoint you for one type of person, when maybe that's not the case because logo's can mean something stereotypically, but really, in truth...can mean nothing about the person's insides at all! Oh wow, we could get really deep here... haha...

Like, honestly, at the end of the day, first impressions make a huge deal, but isn't a mother's main focus to be sure that the woman her son loves will be a good match for him at a life companion? And (trust me, I do the same), but does a bbag or an h bag REALLY tell her what kind of companion we are going to be?

Like I said...I would be thinking the same way, I'm right there with you girl...

If I were the potential daughter in law, I'd want to communicate the following:

-that I am and will be faithful to her son (skip the Juicy Couture, rivets, fringe, tattoo motifs, aged/weathered etc.)
-that I am friendly and unthreatnening (do not carry a 'better' bag than she carries)
-that I am from the same social class that she is in (carry a bag that future MIL's daughters carry)
-that I am smart, neat, and intellectually all there (avoid sloppy, droopy, unstructured bags)

Now that I think of it, you probably couldn't go wrong wearing something similar to what MIL's daughers (or MIL's friends' daughters) carry.

Go for 'good girl' bag.

great topic!!
so question: what do you all consider 'good girl' bags? it's funny because some people i know consider Bbags (which i love!) to be edgy and classy instead of safe and classy...

If I were the potential daughter in law, I'd want to communicate the following:

-that I am and will be faithful to her son (skip the Juicy Couture, rivets, fringe, tattoo motifs, aged/weathered etc.)
-that I am friendly and unthreatnening (do not carry a 'better' bag than she carries)
-that I am from the same social class that she is in (carry a bag that future MIL's daughters carry)
-that I am smart, neat, and intellectually all there (avoid sloppy, droopy, unstructured bags)

Now that I think of it, you probably couldn't go wrong wearing something similar to what MIL's daughers (or MIL's friends' daughters) carry.

Go for 'good girl' bag.

I am young enough to remember what it's like to meet the potential in-laws, and old enough to know how a MIL might feel. I would not be impressed by 'edgy'. My oldest son is only 16, but I know that I would respond best to a young woman who presented herself as sweet, rather than edgy. (Hopefully the sweetness wouldn't just be packaging, either!)

To me, if I were looking for a 'good girl' bag, I'd be focusing on simple leather framed satchels, medium sized shoulder bags, or simple totes. I'd avoid excessive rivets, biker-chick or flower-child tassels or fringe.

WAAAAY more important than the bag, though is what the girl is wearing for clothes. I have been married for almost 19 years and my mother in law prays daily that her youngest son will not marry his current girlfriend. This girlfriend blew it. She wears tight, low-cut shirts and wears low-cut pants which showcase her thong strap. The funny thing is, though, she looks totally normal, like everyone else. Most girls here, if they saw her at the mall would think she looked like their best friend or their sister.

My MIL does not trust this girl at all, even though her son has been dating her for over 5 years. My bet is that they will never get married, in large part to the image that the girlfriend puts forth. It's a shame, because I think she's crazy about him and he would be lucky to have her for a wife, but she was just so unwise about the importance of modesty. She thinks she's 'cute', but the vibe she sends out is 'check me out!', and a woman who is, by her outfit, begging to be checked out, is not faithful because her outfit is demanding the attentions of other men.