Which type of girl would carry a ______ ?

interesting thread.

even though I said those things above, I know what you mean.
Kinda like "when in Rome"....

a while back, I visited extended family I had never met in another country, where they had significantly less money, goods and services than where I live.
I remember packing and leaving all of my extravagant things at home. I tried to fit in with them when visiting - for their comfort and my own! It was like, ok, this is how it is here...
So I know what you mean about bags "meaning" something.

Ok so far the opinions seem to be
(1) no H (at least, not this meeting)
(2) no logos
(3) keep it simple

in a nutshell, it's like "let your bag work for you, but don't let it get the attention" - one's personality and sincerity should shine through, but don't pick an inappropriate bag that distracts MIL from all that.

Amazing - what " philosophies" can come from just talking about bags!

Who cares, as aforementioned, carry something that is you. You want to impress with yourself not your material objects. Just make sure your hair is tidy and your nails are clean. Asian parents care much more about manners and physical presence than purses.

If she doesn't like you for your purse, that just means she's really not liking you for something else, in which case its not worth the trouble.

You'll be fine.

i totally agree with pamperz !ha! if she feels that she has to worry about what bag to carry right now, she'll have alot more worries down the road. if the family is a truly a well-to-do old money family, chances are they already know your friend's background and possibly her grades in school! just keep it simple and be herself, be it coach or juicy or chanel or hermes, if a mil wants to find fault, trust me, you can be dressed impeccably and still be made out to be trash and unfit to 'date my son', best of luck to her!

Who cares, as aforementioned, carry something that is you. You want to impress with yourself not your material objects. Just make sure your hair is tidy and your nails are clean. Asian parents care much more about manners and physical presence than purses.

If she doesn't like you for your purse, that just means she's really not liking you for something else, in which case its not worth the trouble.

You'll be fine.

Totally agree with you:smile:. The first time I met my MIL was dressed very classy and carrying my Gucci travel tote. I just got back from a business trip my MIL loved my outfit and Gucci tote. BTW it was a surprise dinner didn't have time to change clothes or bag. I have been married to her son for 12 years. :smile: I really believe if the MIL likes the young lady a handbag does not matter just be yourself.

Just something in a neutral colored leather that matches your outfit with no logos, that is structured but not H. Your friend won't want her bag distracting from her overall appearance, which is what really matters. Clean, smart clothes, nice hair, nice nails.