Which scarf for first purchase?

cafecreme15

Jan 5, 2015
I am thinking that my next H purchase will be a scarf of some sort. I had my eye on the maxi twilly since I don't think I would be particularly good at trying all the different knots on the square scarves; I would much rather just be able to toss it on around my neck and go. However, I am worried that I will limit myself to print and color options with the maxi twilly. What scarf would you all recommend to start my collection?

I started with a shawl, the 140s are easy to wear imo, but of course, seasonal. 70's are also easy as you can just knot them behind your neck and go. In this forum there are some wonderful threads on how to wear 90s casually. I gifted my mom a Maxi Twilly and she loves it, she doesn't find it fussy at all. Good luck & have fun!

Reactions: QueenieQ
I think a Maxi Twilly would make an excellent first scarf, lots of pretty designs around at the moment. A 70 is also an excellent 'chuck-on' format.

I'm not such a fan of the larger formats (140 silks and GMs) except when it's colder but many love them most.

Contrary to many others, I find the versatility of the 90s the best option all round. Scarf (1M different ways) head-band, belt, shawl, bolero, top etc. You can make them look as small or generous as you like without metres of material and you don't need to do any fancy scarf knots at all, 90% of the time I just chuck-on and walk out the door.

Reactions: debar and cavalla
Thank you, all! For me, no-fuss is absolutely key! I think for my first scarf I will go with one of the smaller sizes since I don't want to be limited from a seasonal standpoint, but now one of the shawls is on my list because I have been looking for a nice summer shawl to drape over my shoulders for FOREVER.

Reactions: rainnebeauxday
Thank you, all! For me, no-fuss is absolutely key! I think for my first scarf I will go with one of the smaller sizes since I don't want to be limited from a seasonal standpoint, but now one of the shawls is on my list because I have been looking for a nice summer shawl to drape over my shoulders for FOREVER.
I like MT and think it's really easy to wear. 70 cm is also a good choice and the vintage silk really drapes well. However, they are dis-continuing 70s so if you want to grab one at the boutique you better hurry. Good luck!

What a cool design! I love it! This is a silly question and I am slightly embarrassed to ask this, but what is the comparable size to the 70 cm on the US site? Sizes are given either as 36 inches or 55 inches, and Im not sure if the 70 cm measurement is referring to the dimensions (70x70) or the area of the scarf.
28 inches square is same as 70cm square

Reactions: cafecreme15