Which regret is worse - something bought or something not bought?

For me, it's my imprudent pass on Hermes. With a slightly different take. When I was single I had the wherewithall to purchase one or more -but- couldn't rationalize investing in a purse and mind you we're talking 1980 prices. sigh. :crybaby:

Now, after a home, children, vehicles, and there's a stingy PHH to boot somewhere in all of this :P -- I'd say the regret over Hermes not bought is worse for me. I afford inspired pieces but there's still that twinge of regret every so often. But, of course I live vicariously through all of you! So that's good.

I feel like a ninny for asking, but what's PHH? I figure one of those H's is husband, manybe another is Hermes and I've got no idea about the P other than Poor. Please explain!

I haven't passed on any that I've regretted and have been able to sell for at least break-even those that just didn't work for me.

My biggest regret is selling one of those bags, a 35cm Alligator Birkin. I wasn't ready for it in my Hermes evolution when I snagged it, and instead of enjoying it I was too terrified of it to wear it. Silly, silly me.

Actually, I wasn't thinking of Hermes purchases. Sometimes, when I get tired of waiting...and want a new bag, I'll purchase something else. Ususally, it's a "bag of the moment". Well, the moment passes, and you're left with a bag that screams "last year." You don't want it anymore and it sits in the closet, taking up space.

OMG, rainrowan, PHHs and PHBFs must be tough to manage. Does one of these sub-species of man ever morph into a PLH or PLBF, or is that as unlikely as an elephant flying (aside from in Disney or Dr. Seuss)?

OMG, rainrowan, PHHs and PHBFs must be tough to manage. Does one of these sub-species of man ever morph into a PLH or PLBF, or is that as unlikely as an elephant flying (aside from in Disney or Dr. Seuss)?

I think we need a new acronym for a husband who has strong purse opinions and makes them known (Mine has been known to say: "I think you should get a black kelly bag...You dont need a blue Hermes bag, but you can get one if you want to.....I like your birkin bags....Im not wild about the bolide bag...I like the saddle color, you should get another bag that color"). Its lucky to have a husband with opinions of this nature, particularly if you are an IHW ("Indecisive Hermes woman")
What about - ODH? (opinionated dear husband?) or a ODBF (opinioned dear boy friend?)

I'm with Ninja Sue...the bags that haunt me are the ones I missed. I have made some choices that haven't worked for me but then I sell them and get over the loss pretty easily.
I envy those of you who know in an instant if the bag is right or wrong for you...I generally have to live with a bag for a little while until I know for sure.

rockerchick, I feel pretty lucky when I try bags on in the mirror that it either knocks me over the head or it doesn't. I feel very weird though that I want the same bag in 12 different colors! lol. Oh well, there are worse things, right?

I'm with Ninja Sue...the bags that haunt me are the ones I missed. I have made some choices that haven't worked for me but then I sell them and get over the loss pretty easily.
I envy those of you who know in an instant if the bag is right or wrong for you...I generally have to live with a bag for a little while until I know for sure.

It seems to be that going on the trial-and-error mode in the US is acceptable and does not draw comment nor frowns when one resells his/her bag, regardless of whether the bag is from the store or reseller.

In SG, that is NOT the case. We have to think very carefully if we want a particular bag or not. Mainly because demand for birkins and kellys are very high (we have a lot of tourists too) and supply is limited. That said, the stores did great sales last years, so supply *should* be more this year! Should a bag be directly from H, gets listed on eBay (unfortunately, there are customers who will act as spys and tell on the eBay seller), the customer is very likely to be investigated by H and be blacklisted. That's why I said money spent is hard to recoup. Because of the limited number of birkins and kellys around, the stores tend to be very quick to find out who actually owns the bags on resale.

I have a personal story to share, which I have never mentioned. I bought a Kelly from one of the H stores here, and found that I have the tendency to pick my birkins over my Kellys. So I thought I'd sell the one that I'd only used a couple of times, and send it to a better home.

From reading this forum, I was being naive and just dropped my bag off at a brick-and-mortar reseller's shop. I tell you, it was hell for me after that. The store found out (don't ask me how). My relationship with the store I bought the Kelly from nosedived. I took great pains to recover that relationship and lost sleep over it when I was still trying to sort things out. I took my Kelly back and never sold it. Hermes SG does not approve of reselling. Simply because when a customer buys a birkin or a kelly, that is one less bag in their inventory for the pool of customers still waiting for their bags. And it's not fair if the first buyer does not treasure the bag, and just casually flips it. From this experience, I have to be very very sure what I want. No more impulse buys.

I guess if your store is cool about reselling, there is no harm buying any bag that you've been offered, use it and decide if it's for keeps. But if your store is sensitive to reselling, you'll then be walking on eggshells. Because someone might just tell on you. :sad:

i think missing a bag is worse. tonight i found my grail bag (i didn't even know i had one!) and i can't have it and it's killing me a little inside. i don't mind buying because i know i can always resell if i change my mind. not h necessarily but other bags and clothing, etc. i have an ebay store so i never worry about that. i tend to think of things resale value when i buy them.

Millstream, if you are lucky, a PHH may turn into a PFH (purse fearing husband) or especially an HFH (Hermes Fearing Husband), from there it is easier to flip them into bemused tolerance (HTH??? Hermes Tolerant husband???) From there, well, its up to you!!!

MrsS...That sounds like such a tough situation. On the one hand, in a perfect world, you should be able to buy what you like and do what you like with it. On the other hand, welll, thats not the reality, so it is a shame your relationship with H had to suffer. I am sorry you were in this position!

I dont have any purchases I regret, but I think that would really make me sick...buyers remorse is a terrible feeling for me. Yearning for something, well, thats pretty normal for moi!!! I am always in a state of drool!!!

It seems to be that going on the trial-and-error mode in the US is acceptable and does not draw comment nor frowns when one resells his/her bag, regardless of whether the bag is from the store or reseller.

In SG, that is NOT the case. We have to think very carefully if we want a particular bag or not. Mainly because demand for birkins and kellys are very high (we have a lot of tourists too) and supply is limited. That said, the stores did great sales last years, so supply *should* be more this year! Should a bag be directly from H, gets listed on eBay (unfortunately, there are customers who will act as spys and tell on the eBay seller), the customer is very likely to be investigated by H and be blacklisted. That's why I said money spent is hard to recoup. Because of the limited number of birkins and kellys around, the stores tend to be very quick to find out who actually owns the bags on resale.

I have a personal story to share, which I have never mentioned. I bought a Kelly from one of the H stores here, and found that I have the tendency to pick my birkins over my Kellys. So I thought I'd sell the one that I'd only used a couple of times, and send it to a better home.

From reading this forum, I was being naive and just dropped my bag off at a brick-and-mortar reseller's shop. I tell you, it was hell for me after that. The store found out (don't ask me how). My relationship with the store I bought the Kelly from nosedived. I took great pains to recover that relationship and lost sleep over it when I was still trying to sort things out. I took my Kelly back and never sold it. Hermes SG does not approve of reselling. Simply because when a customer buys a birkin or a kelly, that is one less bag in their inventory for the pool of customers still waiting for their bags. And it's not fair if the first buyer does not treasure the bag, and just casually flips it. From this experience, I have to be very very sure what I want. No more impulse buys.

I guess if your store is cool about reselling, there is no harm buying any bag that you've been offered, use it and decide if it's for keeps. But if your store is sensitive to reselling, you'll then be walking on eggshells. Because someone might just tell on you. :sad:

:wtf: :wtf: MrsS, my jaw just hit the ground when I read about your predicament. I've had a similar situation happened to me so I know exactly what you mean.

I am very picky over what I want and had been known to turn down bags that were not on my wish list. This has caused a few problems for me as my SA rarely called me anymore when they get a new shipment in unless it was something I've SO'ed. Since prices are 30% higher over here at South Pole compared to you lot in Alaska, I have to choose verrrry carefully.

From reading this forum, I was being naive and just dropped my bag off at a brick-and-mortar reseller's shop. I tell you, it was hell for me after that. The store found out (don't ask me how). My relationship with the store I bought the Kelly from nosedived. I took great pains to recover that relationship and lost sleep over it when I was still trying to sort things out. I took my Kelly back and never sold it.
I wonder who that spy is. She must be a genius to spot that bag at the reseller and immediately identified it to be yours. Can't it be someone else's bag? :wtf:

I am glad you managed to salvage the relationship with the store.

I am spellbound by this thread - surely you can only regret the things you didn't do not thethings that you did. If you make a mistake , or get bamboozled into something it teaches you about yourself and is a positive experience is you treat it as a lesson. But what you don't do is either forgotten quickly because it wasn't worth it in the first place or a lingering 'what if' for life.

The one thing you should never do is enter an H shop or look on Ebay when you are feeling emotionally low. You must never be a slave to your moods or to a retailer.

MrsS, could it be possible that corporate just sent someone out to investigate ebay and the consignment shops? Here, in New Alaska, they don't mind your selling your bag as long as you don't put such a high mark up on it. It's when you profit from their bags that they have an issue. Also, after talking with a few people, I did find out that our corporate headquarters monitors the ebay situation and investigates thoroughly. Could this have been your situation?