Which prep (boarding) schools do you find the most prestigious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to defend Bush: I'm not a **********, a Phillipian, or a Yalie. But I will say that the Andover community is not proud of him, that while he was there he never checked out one book and was a straight C student and never even joined a sports team, his classmates didn't even vote for him, and this: 25 years of drinking will do that to a man. He is one of the least accomplished of all of the Phillipian alumni.

Then again, Bush is one of few alumni who the prep schools aren't proud of. That's a small group to chose from. If I really wanted to/had the time, I could go on forever with a list of unsuccessful pub school grads, and I think you know that. I think Ross Perot and Cheney are more embarrassing than Bush.. and those are probably in the top .01% of pub school grads in terms of success. No single public school has more notable alumni than A, E, S, D, C or H..... It's not even debatable.

I do have to say, paris, there is certainly one individual I know who graduated from the elite private educational institution who has won the world over with his eloquence and brilliance. A graduate of Phillips Academy and Yale no less!

There has never been a more stirring example of private school education working for one man and, indeed, the American people. I'm glad to know that, as you say, only the best and the brightest graduate from this challenging curriculum that you yourself experienced.

Advantage Vanojr:tup:

maybe we should all agree to disagree. paris, I get what you are basically saying, its just that your diplomacy maybe needs some work. thats all. now I gotta get my dumbass public school hiney out of bed....

This thread has become beyond disgusting. :wtf: And anyone who can't see that paris5 IS saying public school kids don't measure up is blind. I really am starting to feel that this thread was started to pump up the op for going to private school. Who CARES if you went to private school? Are all private schools loaded with kids as insecure as you?

And who CARES if you go to an Ivy League school? When you get out in the work world, the only way people really become aware of where you went to school is when you tell them. I don't see what the big deal is with Ivy League schools. It seems they have most of their worth tied into their name and endowments than anything else.

If I really wanted to/had the time, I could go on forever with a list of unsuccessful pub school grads, and I think you know that.

Yes, because that is the GENERAL population. I can't even believe you would seriously say this and expect it to hold up as an argument. I always really respected private school education. But frankly, after reading your ridiculous posts in this thread, I'm starting to lose faith in it.

FYI: I started thinking about this whole "successful alumni" question, and just googled the first four successful people that I could think of. Ironically, they all went to public school: Jack Welch (arguable one of the greatest CEOs of our time), Lloyd Blankfein (CEO of Goldman Sachs), Bill *******, and Jon Klein (President of CNN). I'm not trying to prove a point here, but I just thought it was worth sharing.

Anyway, this thread is getting too ridiculous and frustrating, so I'm just going to check myself out of this before I say something that gets me banned.

Since when did SAT scores go above 1600?

You know, after reading some of the responses of certain posters I realize that there's something that money and fancy educations can't buy.

sugarywitch -- yes, but a simply check on SAT scores would debunk the theory that prep students aren't actually achieving more. The average college-bound senior's (only the top 25% of all kids from publics and privates) SAT score is 1518, exeter's is 2073, andover is 2008, deerfield 2000, sps 2049. So, they're obviously achieving significantly more in terms of academics, compared to college bound seniors in general (not every senior.. only the smartest ones at pubs and privs).

Right, but what I'm saying is even if 2 kids at the public school get that same score (instead of 30) those particular kids aren't less smart because they didn't compete against tons of smart kids at school. The test is scaled nationally, so when a public school kid gets that score he's competing against the kid at Andover or wherever and doing just as well.

And like I said before, I'm not convinced that it makes a difference in the long run.

Ugh, I almost hate to add fuel to the fire here. My DH went to Loomis Chaffee. I went to public school throughout my academic career.

In the end, we both wound up with Bachelor's degrees and we're both successful in our careers. In fact, I make a little bit more money than he does (which comes in handy for handbags, of course). So in the long run it often doesn't matter where you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.