Which prep (boarding) schools do you find the most prestigious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but this thread is really bugging the crap outta me.
its almost as if you are implying that money equates brilliance. Well the kids that can afford to go to private schools are very blessed indeed. but any child from any background can achieve great things with or without money and your "prestigious" schooling. Its what kind of drive and determination and intellect the kid posesses naturally or what they strive for. IMO all these schools provide is an "in" to the circles of industry that will hire them simply because they went to a special school no matter how good or bad their grades were. And thats wonderful for them. But that doesn't make them more qualified to handle the job. The only difference between these priviliged children and children from poorer families is that the poor kids have to jump through more hoops, work a hell of alot harder and start at entry level jobs to get to the top. But they DO get to the top. If you can send your kids to these schools and desire to, more power to you. But please don't speak of these alumni as if they came out gods and goddesses simply by virtue of attending. Just because you are getting better education doesn't mean you are absorbing it all any better. Do I really need to list all the great achievers in this world who did not come out of one of these schools (if any school at all in some cases?)
Sorry for the rant. I just don't really like the tone of this thread. So shoot me now.

ITA

Also, I find the whole equation of " C- at Private/Prep school = A++++ at any public high school" extremely offensive. I went to a public high school and had great marks. I then went on to an extremely competitive university that is known for the high proportion of Prep and Private school graduates in its student body. By your logic, my public school education would not have adequately prepared me to compete with these people, and I should have failed all my classes--or at the very least done poorly. Well, low and behold, I didn't experience much difficulty and am among the top students of my class. I'm not trying to be arrogant or full of myself, but just want to show that public school does not necessarily mean a lower standard of education.

A lot of my school friends went to Prep or Private schools (actually, most did now that I think about it). They received a wonderful education and had a great experience. But they were in no way "more prepared" or trained to work harder for their marks than I was.

if the kids cant hack it at the school they will NOT be accepted. even if they would be a C student at the school (A+++ at any public HS), .

Attitudes like this really piss me off. Why assume that a C student at a private school would automatically make stellar grades at a public school? I know public schools that are superior academically to many private schools.

At any rate, I always hear pretty decent things baout Exeter and Hotchkiss.

I did have a friend who went to Madeira but she actually hated it.

It wasn't a rant. You were being honest. I just think it became clear that threadstarter was either looking for an ego stroke or needed to justify her self-worth.

I think we all know of a few people that had all the advantages that money could provide and still turned out like s*it. :Push:

ITA.

On a related note, my sister is entering Senior at a public high school. She is ranked #3 in her class and was invited to Summer School programs at Harvard, Yale, etc.

Just because you go to a private school doesn't mean that you are guaranteed a spot at an Ivy League College.

She plans on going to Stanford, Pepperdin, USC or U of A.

And our Grandfather is a Senator, but she does not plan on just getting into a great school because of that--in fact, she is not even going to be mentioning it.

That way, the accomplishment will be HERS and a result from all of her HARD WORK and DETERMINATION and not just the fact that our parents sent her to an expensive prep school or our grandpa is in politics.

Assuming people go to exclusive private school and then on to the ivies, can someone explain to me why about 50% of students graduating with Ph.Ds in the sciences from Harvard, Stanford, MIT etc are natives of China?

Going by that logic I presume I should send my kid to school and college in China in order to increase the chances of him to graduating with a Ph.D (in the Sciences) from a reputable university in the US.

This is an interesting post, as my parents were dying for me to attend private school, but I declined and worked my butt off in public high school-- wound up at a good public undergrad college and an ivy league school for my graduate education. I've always wondered whether I couldn't have made it easier on myself by attending a private or boarding school, but I would think the grass is always greener on the other side...

DH and I in theory would like our kids to attend public schools until high school, and then board at Andover or Choate.

....That way, the accomplishment will be HERS and a result from all of her HARD WORK and DETERMINATION and not just the fact that our parents sent her to an expensive prep school or our grandpa is in politics.

:woohoo: Amen! The very same reason NO ONE in my family has ever taken advantage of affirmative action. Everyone made it on their own drive and ambition and intellect!

I went to one of these boarding preparatory schools. I was considered one of the "poor" kids since I didn't drive a BMW (or even have my drivers' license). I hated it. There were plenty of stoners and druggies there. In fact, wasn't there an infamous drug case at Choate not too long ago?? Anyways, this was typically brushed under the carpet since one family donated funds for a new library, another girls' dormitory, etc.. It's all crap. You can only ride the coat-tails of your parents for so long.

Bagsnshoo - I'm with you! Life's about what you do.

You guys, I'm an educational consultant. I know what I'm talking about. Really. Really, really. I've done so many studies on the differences between prep and public graduates. I've been doing these studies since I was in prep school. The reason I started this thread was because a client's mother and I disagreed on what school was considered the absolute most prestigious to outsiders -- she did not want her kid to even apply to "lesser" schools. I tried to convince her that "lesser" schools are still considered very prestigious to others (re: future bosses). My theory holds true... people cited what they heard of as most prestigious. ones that they only know of simply because a friend went or of some other distant connection. This was my theory.. thanks for helping me figure out more about your views. That was the point of this thread.

I think that it's hard to understand if you haven't gone to the schools. Theres a reason they cost $40,000 a year.. it's worth it.

And no, kids at the top schools are not spoiled rich brats. They wouldn't survive at AESD. It's tough world -- 6 hours of homework per day, 2 hours of sports, 2 hours of clubs/hobbies, etc.. At lower tier schools (third, fourth, fifth tiers), yeah, you can slack a bit. But I know at the school I went to, being sick for one day would set you back a week in schoolwork. It's very tough, and you really earn that diploma -- academically, mentally, physically, socially.

I know that when I attended public school for one year in middle school (in a super rich area with the best public schools) -- I did not have to work one bit for straight A's. I didn't have to study or put much effort in besides show up. AESD is not like that. Every single kid has to work their *** off to get a B. At St. Paul's, no student has ever gotten a 4.0 because the teachers just don't hand them out like they do at the top publics. The standards are different, which is something you just don't understand unless you have attended.

Theres nothing wrong with public schools. Of course not. But who is going to argue that a public school has more opportunities than the very top preps (300 courses to chose form, 60 nationally ranked teams to play on, instructors who actually wrote the book you study in school, brilliant peers who you learn from and do business with later on). They just don't even compare -- even the best of public schools (New Trier, Taft, Greenwich, etc.). You most definitely can achieve greatness while being educated at a public school. Without a doubt. But give it up: the public schools are for the "public" -- everyone in a given area.. schools can't be too picky. True, some pricey areas (the north shore, the gold coast, tha CA hills) will have more competitive students than any inner city school. Private schools get to hand select their students from the most competitive, achievement-minded families in the world who, you know, have sent their kids to the best schools since preschool.

Here's an idea of how accomplished these kids are:

I was just scrolling my Facebook updates, and here's a list of what some of my old classmates are doing this summer:

-internship at the french embassy
-internship under a specific famous harvard professor, pouring through FDR's original speeches and archives
-internship at a design firm in milan
-setting up a school in kenya for girls
-training in Beijing for the world rowing champs (passed)

These kids aren't lazy or "riding their parents' coattails" -- they're the most accomplished group of kids I have ever heard of

This is the rank that is generally accepted by most in the prep community, BTW.

Exeter
Andover (these 2 tie at first, but Exeter often has a teeny bit more prestige)
St. Paul's
Deerfield

Those schools make up "AESD" -- the HYP equivalent of prep schools.

Then theres the "CH" for a total of AESDCH -- Choate and Hotchkiss.

That's the first tier, with A/E at the very top, and AESD truly elite.

Then the bottom part of the 1st tier/prestigious 2nd tier, in no order is

lawrenceville, groton, milton, middlesex, st. mark's,

Then the 2nd tier... schools like

Blair, Peddie, Hill, Mercersburg (MAPL league), Taft, and more..

then 3d tier:

all of the single sex schools (Avon, Porter's, Emma's, Gtown)
and a bunch of others like Tabor, Kent, etc.

merika -- in Asia, the biggest status symbol is to send your kids to America to be educated. Esp. in South Korea. I've talked to so many SK kids who just break down when I explain to them that Exeter is a "reach" and that they need to apply to lesser schools to ensure an American education. The Asian elites put so much pressure on their kids to get into Exeter/Harvard. That's why ed consultants make so much $$$ -- we teach people who are not from "traditional families" (prep speak for new money), and thus they don't know all of the ins and outs and ways of the prep world. It's a booming business.

....no student has ever gotten a 4.0 because the teachers just don't hand them out like they do at the top publics.

Really? I must have been absent the day they were "just handing out A's" in my public school. Oh, wait. I earned those.

I was just scrolling my Facebook updates, and here's a list of what some of my old classmates are doing this summer:

-internship under a specific famous harvard professor, pouring through FDR's original speeches and archives

While impressive, these achievments are hardly exclusive to kids who attended private school.

I went to the most expensive private school in my city from Kindergarten through the eighth grade. It royally F-ed me up! Then of course my parents spent thousands on therapy. They could have bought themselves a Ferrari but instead stuck me in a private school that warped my views of reality and self esteem.

paris5- thank you for your last post but i still do not think you understand the points made in this thread. you acted as if you knew what the good schools were (which i understand you do for your job) but you than went on to act like anyone who didnt agree didnt know anything.
your comment about one of my posts, saying that i didnt understand becuase its different in england really got my back up. i think it was quite rude.
also i see that your peers have gone on to do great things but students who do not attend prep schools can go on to do equally brilliant things.
i have a friend who is currently a stylist and personal shopper and works on TV with many celebs as well as with some of the wealthiest woman in the country.
anothe of my friends is currently working in the british embassy in germany. and although i did attend an exclusive school i also went on to go to a normal inner city school and i am currently an undergrad doing an internship and have just had my first piece of work published.

I'm not sure of this but even if you are an educational consultant, why are all your old classmates still doing internships? Most of the time internships such as yours are summer programs designed for college juniors or seniors. So by my reckoning you are still not graduated from whatever college you are attending now. It sounds like you are in a college (Ivy or not I don't know) and 'helping' people get admission to private schools by making suggestions as to what they should do to ensure that they get in.

And no, in Asia the biggest status symbol is NOT to send your kids to America to be educated. Unfortunately the impression in most Asian countries is that American colleges are places where students don't study, but hang out and drink and do drugs together. Being accepted to a good college in Asian countries is much harder than being accepted to a good college in the US. For example in my home country, 200,000 people sit the equivalent of SATs to be selected as one of the 2000 students entering college every year (less than 1%). American universities are considered to be the place your rich dad sends you to if you can't make it into college back home!

I am curious to know where all the students who graduate from the Ivies go to. Maybe they go to Washington and Wall Street? Considering the number of Ivy undergraduates who join graduate schools for the Sciences or graduate with degrees in the Sciences and go on to do ground-breaking research in technology or industry is less than 1%, it is no wonder that many jobs dealing with technology and scientific research are being outsourced to India and China.

You're not competing against the dumb jocks or the stoners at your public HS -- you're competing against violin prodigies, published novelists, rowing champions, and internationally acclaimed math whizzes who go to your school...You have a much better chance of going to an Ivy from your local inner city public school.

Oh my GOD, your post made me mad :cursing: Have you ever BEEN to an inner city public school??? I have. I work with inner city students from Chicago, those considered most promising in their grade, who can barely read. Brilliant kids who never had the educational support to even make a run at a good state school, let alone Harvard. One of my students had 8 classmates shot and killed in his senior class. Only a 1/3 of the class graduated in general. But OOOH aren't they lucky to be attending those schools, they'll make it right into the Ivies. Those poor rich kids at private schools, not lucky enough to be circulating with the rabble so that they look like big shots. Oh, also not getting SHOT AT.

Status
Not open for further replies.