Which One of Your Bals Has the Worst Leather?

Ha :lol:this is an interesting thread BPC! I'm also laughing at your comment about your 2011 anthra Velo as "utter crap" but you use it a lot:tup:....I agree w/ you because of all the Bal's I've ever owned, my 2011 Anthra Clutch is my least favorite leather....i guess it looks ok, but the feel of it is "ehhhh" compared to all others I've owned. I'm not saying it's terrible, just my least favorite for sure.

Lol.. I do use it a lot, and abuse it. It's my "stuff to the brim with dog items bag" (I have two bulldogs) surprisingly it has held up so I'll give it that.
I've even got compliments on it. Looking back, they may have been facetious :facepalm:...

It's interesting about 2011 Anthra and 2012 Cumin. Wonder if there's more of a pattern.

Reactions: Kendie26
I have something like 5 black Bals from 2011 on. I'm not at my apartment now or I'd post pics so you can see the differences, but even with that said, my two favorite are my 2011 Black city GSH and my 2013 Black city RH. They both have beautiful leather, albeit different. My 2011 (yes, from the same year as my dreaded dry Anthra) is gorgeous. Thick, and supple.
My 2013 Black city isn't as thick, but it's become soft and chewy and broke in beautifully. The only thing is the shine didn't go completely away, but at least it doesn't look plasticky.

I found some pics that I posted here years ago of both bags when I first got them. They're both broken in now and look even better. And yes, both bags are extremely black.
My Hip and clutch are not, that's one of the reasons I'm not thrilled with them (can tell you the year when I'm back in the city.)

View attachment 3645063 View attachment 3645064 View attachment 3645065 View attachment 3645066

Here's one of the GSH more broken in. The leather is gorgeous, almost "fluffy" lol
View attachment 3645067

Thank you for taking the time to post these pics, they're very helpful. I'm sort of partial to black City:s in general :smile: but I think the leather on both your black City:s looks beautiful. and as you said the colour looks like a true black. My little black Bal coin purse is from 2014 and I think and should maybe give me an idea also about the leather of current City:s. I'm no expert but it seems Bal have been trying to "standardize" the leather of the City:s these last couple of years? I might just have to order one directly from Balenciaga and see for myself. They look very shiny as many, say, but maybe that will fade.

I'd love to see comparison pics of these and your other black Bals!

Personally I think the old leathers are by far the best,in a league of their own...Anything after 2008 just doesn't compare.
2005 and 2007 for me are just fabulous ...soft,smooshy,wonderful to the touch and fall into a puddle on the carpet when empty...A true Bal. So sad they don't make them like that anymore.
I have bags from 2005 ,2007 and 2008 and although they took years to find (In new condition) they were worth the wait.
I have avoided later years due to the leather being stiff, horrible dry, plasticky, and that fake looking shine,that to me doesn't represent a Bal...It could be any leather bag.

The only newish leather I still have is 2015 Rouge cerise, some of 2015, in the second batch made of that colour are quite nice...Not plasticky,dry or too shiny, and soft/smooshy, but,...never in the same league as 2005 or 2007.
I think all years have had good and bad leathers, however when visiting my Bal stockist over the last 8or so years,there's nothing there that made me feel "I just have to have it"...

Each and every Bal's leather used to be unique and had to be seen and touched by the individual ...some people liked smooth and others puffy,marshmallow ...Mmm
Over the last few years I personally feel sadly, they're all much the same.

The Fabulous Oldies are still out there,in great condition...well worth holding on for.

Thank you luvva handbags for the kind encouragement!

I'm just thinking that never having owned any of these HG Bals from 2005-2008 works both for and against me. I don't really know what I've missed, so I don't have specific expectations (besides my own usual bagspectations and they are more than enough :rolleyes::smile:) I’m not exactly a Bal expert who knows her oldies, so maybe I’ll love a Bal City from the latest seasons just as well? But I agree, I don’t like the shiny shiny leather on some of the new bags. It does look plasticky, at least in pictures.

Also, the best cared for oldies seem to reside in the US and it’s just more convenient to buy within the EU sometimes. I have this unappreciated insert woe is me smiley :smile: “buyer’s quirk” that I need to be able to return a bag, whether pre-loved or new, in case I don’t love the bag, and loving it is a minimum requirement I have when buying something like this. Maybe you saw my thread on this in the Handbags and Purses thread? I understand exactly why a seller does not accept returns but as a buyer of an often expensive item I have never held in my hands and seen irl, I can just never know how I will feel about it from seeing it only on a screen. As you and others say, older Bals come in so many different types of leather it’s impossible to know if you haven’t owned a couple of them yourself..

For ex. maybe you saw the 2006 Cognac Bal that I bought some weeks ago and returned.
P1160690.JPG
In the webstore's pictures it looked perfectly smooth to me, which is what I prefer, but in reality it was marshmallow galore. Disappointing but no problem as it was from a store and I could just return it. (I still don't know if I have the Bal terminology right but marshmallowy to me means veiny and fluffy, dare I say doughy? :smile:)

I’m also thinking I know far too little about older HG Bals to buy them confidently which is another reason I’ve started to look at newer ones. But we'll see. I was lucky enough to find my coin purse and make-up clutch so there might be more finds out there.

Reactions: luvva handbags
Thank you luvva handbags for the kind encouragement!

I'm just thinking that never having owned any of these HG Bals from 2005-2008 works both for and against me. I don't really know what I've missed, so I don't have specific expectations (besides my own usual bagspectations and they are more than enough :rolleyes::smile:) I’m not exactly a Bal expert who knows her oldies, so maybe I’ll love a Bal City from the latest seasons just as well? But I agree, I don’t like the shiny shiny leather on some of the new bags. It does look plasticky, at least in pictures.

Also, the best cared for oldies seem to reside in the US and it’s just more convenient to buy within the EU sometimes. I have this unappreciated insert woe is me smiley :smile: “buyer’s quirk” that I need to be able to return a bag, whether pre-loved or new, in case I don’t love the bag, and loving it is a minimum requirement I have when buying something like this. Maybe you saw my thread on this in the Handbags and Purses thread? I understand exactly why a seller does not accept returns but as a buyer of an often expensive item I have never held in my hands and seen irl, I can just never know how I will feel about it from seeing it only on a screen. As you and others say, older Bals come in so many different types of leather it’s impossible to know if you haven’t owned a couple of them yourself..

For ex. maybe you saw the 2006 Cognac Bal that I bought some weeks ago and returned.
View attachment 3646661
In the webstore's pictures it looked perfectly smooth to me, which is what I prefer, but in reality it was marshmallow galore. Disappointing but no problem as it was from a store and I could just return it. (I still don't know if I have the Bal terminology right but marshmallowy to me means veiny and fluffy, dare I say doughy? :smile:)

I’m also thinking I know far too little about older HG Bals to buy them confidently which is another reason I’ve started to look at newer ones. But we'll see. I was lucky enough to find my coin purse and make-up clutch so there might be more finds out there.
Hi
I understand what your saying and did see your cognac bag (loved the colour) I didn't see the bag IRL obviously,but like you I'm not a fan of veiny leather, and I found 2006 leather very often quite dry and veiny,which often can go hand in hand. At the end of the day that is only my opinion, and you need to absolutely love it,especially when paying a premium price for a bag.
PS...Some of us who take the greatest care and totally baby their bags live in the UK!! and do sell them on when/if they're not being carried ...so do check sites like eBay regularly,the right bag will come along!!!!
Maybe you need to abandon your "quirk", you could be missing a really fabulous bag?

I put some little emoticons in that reply, using my iPad but they didn't appear?!?!

Last edited:
Hi
I understand what your saying and did see your cognac bag (loved the colour) I didn't see the bag IRL obviously,but like you I'm not a fan of veiny leather, and I found 2006 leather very often quite dry and veiny,which often can go hand in hand. At the end of the day that is only my opinion, and you need to absolutely love it,especially when paying a premium price for a bag.
PS...Some of us who take the greatest care and totally baby their bags live in the UK!! and do sell them on when/if they're not being carried ...so do check sites like eBay regularly,the right bag will come along!!!!
Maybe you need to abandon your "quirk", you could be missing a really fabulous bag?

I put some little emoticons in that reply, using my iPad but they didn't appear?!?!

I imagined the smileys :smile:

I do check all eBays except for the US one (makes me too frustrated when there's something nice up for sale so I try to avoid it). I found my black Bal coin purse on eBay UK. And the Rouge Vif m-u clutch on a German site. But truly nice black older Bals seem to be very few and far between. I think the leather on my 2014 coin purse is absolutely fine for such a small item, I :love: it, but for a City bag, I think I'd prefer the leather on the m-u clutch, which I think is chévre? I just don't want to obsess about it and I really just need a bag already so I was hoping there would be some comparison pics of newer bags on this thread. Maybe I'm wrong but there aren't that many members who post pics of newer black City:s?

(Sorry BPC if I'm digressing your thread with all this oldies Bal talk :flowers:)

image.jpg image.jpg
Oh, I hope lots of Bal owners will chime in here.
A month or so ago I posted a pic of the current 2017 black Bal City with RH from Bal's own site and asked if anyone had bought it and what they thought of the leather etc. But I had no responses. I wanted to know because I've been contemplating for some time now to just let go of trying to buy an older Bal and just buy a new one already. Or look at pre-owned Bals from 2010/12 and on. Not so old of course, but it would still be incredibly interesting to see how these younger Bals have held up as well. Fab or crap? Especially the black ones.
STILL LEARNING THIS NEW BOARD. THOSE ARE MY LOVED 2013 pics ABOVE..GREAT BAG!

I have a 2013 black RH city that is amazing! And I only collect oldies . I only have two newer bags. Too long a story as to why I have the two, but my red 13 is awful, papery, thin, just had to have a red city that day. It was last one left at Bal store. The black I picked from 6 , it's thick, has broken beautifully, is jet black, and I carry it daily. I keep my older bags pristine, and stare at them..:smile:

The sealant on this bag hasn't even broken on the stress ponits after so much wear, it's just amazing. I'll try to post pics. But I would still recommend an 05 . Unless you plan to wear daily. Pic doesn't do the black justice, couldn't get a really true one...it's like outer space , India ink black!

Also, I don't baby the bag, but I do treat it like I'm carrying a $2000 bag...I will never understand people who throw these expensive bags around, put them on the concrete, floor, don't check surfaces, spill things on them, etc.. Never. Also,here's a bag with awful "leather " I imagine....man, this pic cracks me up every time. I always wonder ...did she know it was fake and didn't care, and how could she not know it was fake...sorry...off topic a bit.
image.jpg

I have something like 5 black Bals from 2011 on. I'm not at my apartment now or I'd post pics so you can see the differences, but even with that said, my two favorite are my 2011 Black city GSH and my 2013 Black city RH. They both have beautiful leather, albeit different. My 2011 (yes, from the same year as my dreaded dry Anthra) is gorgeous. Thick, and supple.
My 2013 Black city isn't as thick, but it's become soft and chewy and broke in beautifully. The only thing is the shine didn't go completely away, but at least it doesn't look plasticky.

I found some pics that I posted here years ago of both bags when I first got them. They're both broken in now and look even better. And yes, both bags are extremely black.
My Hip and clutch are not, that's one of the reasons I'm not thrilled with them (can tell you the year when I'm back in the city.)

View attachment 3645063 View attachment 3645064 View attachment 3645065 View attachment 3645066

Here's one of the GSH more broken in. The leather is gorgeous, almost "fluffy" lol
View attachment 3645067
See? Another 2013 black that's great..really odd given most new bags are not my preference

Reactions: BPC
View attachment 3648901 View attachment 3648902
STILL LEARNING THIS NEW BOARD. THOSE ARE MY LOVED 2013 pics ABOVE..GREAT BAG!

I have a 2013 black RH city that is amazing! And I only collect oldies . I only have two newer bags. Too long a story as to why I have the two, but my red 13 is awful, papery, thin, just had to have a red city that day. It was last one left at Bal store. The black I picked from 6 , it's thick, has broken beautifully, is jet black, and I carry it daily. I keep my older bags pristine, and stare at them..:smile:

The sealant on this bag hasn't even broken on the stress ponits after so much wear, it's just amazing. I'll try to post pics. But I would still recommend an 05 . Unless you plan to wear daily. Pic doesn't do the black justice, couldn't get a really true one...it's like outer space , India ink black!

zestypasta, you made one of my top favourite comments here on TPF, I can't remember where, but it was about a bag (?) glaring at you like the Eye of Sauron :lol:

I'm glad you posted pics of your lovely City because it's clear I've been obsessing a bit too much about the oldies. There are obviously many new and fabulous black City:s out there.

You brought up an important point, will it be a go to bag? Yes, it will. Together with a couple of other bags the black City will make up my every day stash of bags. Don't you think an 05 can withstand every day use, or is it just that its a form of bag blasphemy in general to subject a HG 05 City to daily wear? :smile:

I think this could be the convincing argument I need to try a new/newer City as my first Bal bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPC
zestypasta, you made one of my top favourite comments here on TPF, I can't remember where, but it was about a bag (?) glaring at you like the Eye of Sauron :lol:

I'm glad you posted pics of your lovely City because it's clear I've been obsessing a bit too much about the oldies. There are obviously many new and fabulous black City:s out there.

You brought up an important point, will it be a go to bag? Yes, it will. Together with a couple of other bags the black City will make up my every day stash of bags. Don't you think an 05 can withstand every day use, or is it just that its a form of bag blasphemy in general to subject a HG 05 City to daily wear? :smile:

I think this could be the convincing argument I need to try a new/newer City as my first Bal bag.

This brings up an interesting point - I would love to see pics of an earlier Bal, from 04 or 05 that was used daily.
How has it stood up? I can't imagine it's in great condition even if someone isn't rough on their bags.

I always assumed my oldies were in good condition because they were rotated quite a bit. I rotate most of mine too so they can stay looking good for as long as possible.
Except Anthra, that bag looks like crap. Oh, and my 2005 Chocolate, I used that bag like crazy, but it just looks vintage.

image.jpg

Aw thanks! I believe it was in reference to a comment another member made about a stain on her red bag's handle that constantly bothered her, and I said if I had the same it would constantly burn into my brain like the Eye of Sauron, which it undoubtedly would.

I'm also famous for my comment about never putting lotion on my hands when I carry an oldie, to the point where I stalk around with scaly claws ,like the Creature from the Black Lagoon, with a perfect apple 05 dangling from my wrist, scaring small children.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 294
This brings up an interesting point - I would love to see pics of an earlier Bal, from 04 or 05 that was used daily.
How has it stood up? I can't imagine it's in great condition even if someone isn't rough on their bags.

I always assumed my oldies were in good condition because they were rotated quite a bit. I rotate most of mine too so they can stay looking good for as long as possible.
Except Anthra, that bag looks like crap. Oh, and my 2005 Chocolate, I used that bag like crazy, but it just looks vintage.

Here's one on eBay that looks quite used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Balenciaga-...830983?hash=item33a97c5987:g:a8cAAOSwuTxV-E6p

To be honest, I'd rather buy a new one. Not to mention a new black Bal City is about $500 less in Europe than the 2005 one in the ad. I've seen quite a lot of older black Bals on eBay and there are few of them that I would consider. Lots of fading issues for ex.

I'm planning to have 3-4 bags that I'll be rotating on a daily/weekly basis so yes, I will be using them. Not heavily like a backpack on a sweaty hike :whut: I'll treat them like queens, but I won't be afraid to use them because what would be the point in me buying them then? I'm not a collector yet so before I've covered my basics I won't think too much about more special occasion bags deserving of more special treatment. I e rotation, giving up hand lotion etc :smile:

I am planning to find a smaller plastic bazaar bag and putting something soft and cozy on the bottom and keep it in the car to put my bags in when driving. Anybody else already doing something like this? Our car is full most of the time so usually no seat just for a bag.

image.jpeg

Hi ladies ...Pics of my Z tag 2005 black city taken today...still beautiful and used regularly .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 292