WHICH ONE IS BETTER, Coach OR Kate Spade?

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. #1 Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  2. I have the Coach and it's my favorite bag.

I would not pick the Kate Spade for these reasons:
    - bows are not my thing
    - the metal plaque bugs me
    - I don't love partial chain straps (although the double strap on the Coach gets in the way sometimes)
    - not crazy about pebbled leather
    - the Coach has the boxy structure that I love

That being said, the penny is really really small. I cannot carry my sunglasses plus a wallet in it. I use a bifold card case with just a few cards, and open it up and stick it in the front pocket.

The Kate Spade seems to be a similar size with less depth, more flexible leather. You should make sure you can get the stuff you need into either bag.

Also the cognac color is really saturated - somewhat red. It is a beautiful color but does not go with everything like black does.

3. I would choose the Kate, and my reasons are pretty much the reasons the above poster wouldn't choose it: the bow, the plaque, the chain strap, love love love Kate's pebbled leather, it's so soft. Plus, my Coaches never held up anywhere near as well as my Kates do.

It all comes down to which bag speaks to you, though. Good luck with your choice!

4. I don't own either bags but I like the look of the coach more.

5. I love the bow on the little Kaelin but I think that Kate Spade's small crossbodies always have disproportionately thick shoulder straps, which doesn't look good with such a delicate bag. I would probably choose the Coach.

6. I like the clean lines on the Coach better, but both are pretty so choose whichever speaks to you most :smile:

7. Thank you everyone for the awesome comments!!!:smile:

8. Coach most definitely. Very classy.

9. I'd like to see/feel them in person but probably the Coach because they usually have better construction and materials than Kate Spade (Sorry, KS fans).

10. #10 Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
    I'd go for the Coach over the Kate Spade.
    The bow you might get bored of and the coach seems to be plain (good in my book unless its a statement of the outfit) and well structured.

11. I have a similar style vintage Coach bag in black that I inherited from my mom. It was hers in the 1980s & it still looks great now! Agree with the others that it's too small to carry a wallet and sunglasses but great on days when you only need to carry the essentials.

The KS is very cute too though! If you're in the mood for something more whimsical I say go Kate Spade but if you want something more classic pick the Coach.

12. +1

13. The Coach bag is from the Factory. They never sell for retail price, you would be paying a huge markup. Also, this is just my personal opinion, some Factory bags the leather feels dry. I really would want to feel both in person to make a decision.

14. The cognac penny purse (style #19914) was not made for factory. It retailed for $198, I got mine for 25% off new. A few may have made it to outlet or FOS, IDK.

15. i usually dont like coach but that one is good