Which one do you love more: Jewelry or Bags?

Would be interesting to know the answer from the bag forums.
Christinaflora, it is TPF :smile:. I think it’s cyclical. reading back some of the responses, someone mentioned she turned back to jewelry when chanel bags reached a certain amount. I also think, when one collcetion is ’stable’ with either grails or placeholders, then you can turn to the other one. . . Also, as some have pointed out, jewelry doesn’t take up as much space in the closet :smile:

For me...

Jewelry
Bags
Clothing
Shoes

I adore my bags but now that my collection covers all my needs, I don’t hunt and search for new ones. But! Jewelry is always on my mind. And, I get positively giggly over getting a new piece.

In the last decade or so since we could buy what I truly wanted in each category, I noticed the “thrill” of a new bag acquisition can fade over time. The thrill of a beautiful jewelry piece, however, never fades.

When I was younger I probably bought more jewelry than bags, few but good bags were enough for me. Now that I'm older I wear less and less jewelry, I have given to my DDs and sold quite a bit, so I find myself buying more bags than jewels. Also where I live it's pretty dangerous to wear flashy jewelry: I NEVER wear gold bracelets or my gold Rolex during the summer when my arms are uncovered. Only silver rings and bracelets.

WOW I’m in this dilemma right now. I’ve loved bags all my life, and still do. I have a collection of bags from different price ranges, but only 3 high end (Chanel). I did go through a period when I wasn’t using my jewelry that much, and bought my Chanels instead. Now I’m drooling over some jewelry pieces.

Honestly the other day I asked myself when I’m 70 am I still going to be happy that I spent thousands on too many bags? Frankly I felt I’m gonna be kicking myself. Don’t get me wrong, I love my three Chanels to death, and all my bags. I think a lady needs a well rounded collection of “things” that she enjoys and uses and they fit her lifestyle. So study your collection and needs when deciding on any expensive purchase. For me I would like to add a beige luxury bag to my collection, after that frankly I’m not sure that I want to pay that much for leather anymore. I feel that 4 luxury bags are enough for my use, as I have a lot of other bags for other purposes.

I feel that aside from a Chanel classic flap, birkin, Kelly, and some really classic LV pieces, I don’t think that bags will retain their value over many many years. And like others have said, they also show more wear. With jewelry, I feel I’m gonna get a longer lasting joy and bang for my buck over the long run. Plus jewelry can be passed down to future generations. How cool would it be to give your grandkids some pieces of your jewelry, and one day they give it to their grandkids?

Last edited: