Which Mulberry bags are best for work?

geeky_economist

Egghead Fashionista
Mar 25, 2010
I dearly want my new work bag to be a Mulberry but can't decide if any of them would work. Any advice from other working girl Mulberry lovers would be much appreciated.

My first thought was a Chocolate or Dark Bayswater. It's conservative enough to take to meetings downtown, fashionable enough to wear through the city, and big enough to hold notebooks and academic papers that I often have to take home with me. (I have a fairly conservative job, but I'm an academic, so I can get away with a little funky, but not enough that I feel comfortable with my Roxy at the office.)

The only problem with the Bays? My commute involves both a scooter and a mass transit leg. How do I get the Bayswater on my scooter? How do I get in and out of the bag fast enough to grab my metro pass when I'm running for the train?

So I'm also considering the Elgin. It looks like it might fold (meaning I could get it under the scooter seat) and be easier to access. I've never been able to get my hands on one though, so I'd love to hear opinions from those who have.

I'm also considering an Alexa, which has similar advantages to the Bayswater, but has a messenger strap which means I could ride the scooter with it (I think). But holding one in the store it seemed to flimsy to be a real workhorse bag and might not hold up well to the regular beatings that a work bag tends to get. (And for what it's worth, I just like the Bayswater better - I think it's the nvt leather that I love best.)

Any thoughts? More Mulberry bags I should consider? I'd love to know what you think. - Geeky

I would go with the bays. It is sturdy and seems hardwearing. I don't think that alexa would fair up to heavy duty work every day very well. It's lifespan might be cut unduly short I feat.I don't have any knowledge of the Elgin but am sure that someone will be along soon to advise.

I got an elgin today as it happens. It's is v squashy/ supple and probably would fold but not sure how it would fare long term doing that and if it was full of papers not sure how practical that would be. I can access the interior easily- dive in with one hand with the strap still over if you know what i mean but because of the open top obviously isn't as secure as a baywater.
Have you thought of a messenger style eg the brynmore?

The big Mitzy oak hobo is large enough to fit a kitchen sink in, but not sure how she'd go on a scooter! Medium Mitzy messenger is probably a bit small for you.

Have a look at the Mulberry website some of the mens messenger bags are lovely and would probably be more scooter friendly.

I've considered the men's messengers bags, but I'm pretty short, so they mostly fall to my knees. Messenger bags don't seem to work so well on the scooter anyway - they flop forward and interfere with my driving. The most elegant solution is probably either a bike messenger bag that I put my purse in, or to replace my scooter with one that has a bag hook (I didn't know to look for that when I was shopping for scooters the first time round). Right now I'm solving this issue by using an unstructured bag that fits under the seat.

Hello Mulberry Lovers,

I just got sent this evite for a party tonight at the Mulberry on Madison Avenue.

MULBERRY
INVITE YOU TO celebrate the collection
A feast of all things gorgeous –
SUMPTUOUS SHOES , schoolgirl CHARMS,
READY TO WEAR and whimsical ACCESSORIES!
ENJOY MUSIC, DRINKS & NIBBLES
THERE WILL ALSO BE AN EXCLUSIVE PRIZE DRAW,
MINI MANICURES AND GOODY-BAGS .
WEDNESDAY 31 MARCH
6Pm til 9pm
MULBERRY BOUTIQUE
605 MADISON AVENUE
NEW YORK 10022
please RSVP
[email protected]
888 685 6856 ext 10022

The Bays is really what I want - It's perfect for my job and I love it - I'm just worried it might be impracticable for my commute. A bag hook would solve the scooter problem. I'm still a bit worried I might not be able to get in and out of it fast enough to grab my metro card as it has no exterior pockets. Also, is it study enough to last a few years as a work bag? My last work bag took quite a beating and was faded and beaten after a year - I'd hate to do that to a pretty Mulberry - but they look like they would look better a little beat up, too.

I use a Roxy A4 Tote for work, my job involves some lecturing at a University, attending many (mostly very boring) meetings and some time spent in a general hospital so it gets around to lots of different places. I usually commute wherever I am going by Train and it fits either on the drop down table of in front of the seat.
I get loads in it including spare pair of shoes, my lunch, netbook and files and its stil not too heavy.
I have thought about a Bays for work so will be interested in the views on here

I love my large Maggie for work - she is big enough for all my usual junk plus lunch, work folders and papers (A4 fits easily) and has the handy pocket on the front for stuff that needs to be more readily accessible such as travelcard, gloves... Most of all I love that Maggie keeps her structure really well despite being packed full - she doesn't suffer from random bulging and doesn't lose the 'look' of the bag, IYKWIM. Having said all that, she is a shoulder bag and not a messenger, so may not be the most scooter-friendly. The forthcoming black buffalo Alexa in oversized might be a good choice?

Could you take your scooter to a garage to get it modified? Perhaps a mechanic could fit a bag hook to it for you? That would be cheaper than buying a new scooter and would be perfect for transporting a trusty bayswater.