Which mens watch comes second to Rolex? Omega or Breitling?!!

Gilly

O.G.
Aug 6, 2007
Problem - my sister has asked me for advice regarding the 'perfect' watch for her husbands 40th birthday in February - unfortunately I am no help at all!

We both already know he loves the Rolex Daytona (he has a TAG at the moment) however she only has approximately 6k to spend and is therefore looking to buy second hand (and unfortunately even a second hand Daytona reaches way above 10k)

Please help...which of the following watch makers should be the 2nd choice to a Rolex:

Omega or Breitling
We are looking for for uber cool and extreme covetability!

Thank you :heart:

I just asked my DH, he's 39 and a watch lover. His first suggestion was a second hand or new Rolex in her price range and then trading up when they are ready. Rolex holds their value so well. Second choice was Brietling. He said no Omega. Good luck!

My DH adores Breitling, but really doesn't like Omega.
My Dad adores Omega, but doesn't like Breitling on his wrist.
I personally prefer the look of a Breitling for men, but I guess it all depends on the type of guy you're talking to...
If he loves the Daytona, I would vote for the Breitling.

It comes down to personal preference and what you prefer the look of. For example, I don't like Breitling at all, I think they are far too ostentatious. I tend to lean toward Omega or Panerai for men. With Omega, I love Planet Oceans and Seamasters. There is also Ebel.

The thing is - does he like a really sporty style or something a bit more restrained?
Omega is closest to Rolex in style - Breitlings are like the swiss-army-knife of watches; it has a lot of crazy features. I adore Jeager LeCoultre - it's a bit more elegant.

I should state - while I am fond of Rolex, I think there are much better watches out there. They have a reputation and an excellent product, but they are far from the best.

I'd keep an open mind. You never know when you're going to find an estate Vacheron Constantin or Patek Phillipe. Maybe you could get a nice Hermes or Cartier watch in your range? Of the brands you mentioned, I'd go Omega over Breitling as a personal preference. Extreme covetability is relative...and it looks like your DH extremely covets the Rolex Daytona.

Omega does have very good movements but I am not a big fan of their looks. I am not a big fan of breitling either. I love cartier more for looks than movement. I think other brands to consider are breguet, patek, vc, etc. but i agree if he wants a Rolex Daytona, he prob won't settle for another watch. I think it's wiser to use the 6k towards the Daytona instead. I know you can find some used ones for around 8k. If she keeps saving, she can get him his dream watch!

I just asked my DH, he's 39 and a watch lover. His first suggestion was a second hand or new Rolex in her price range and then trading up when they are ready. Rolex holds their value so well.

I second this. If his heart is set on the rolex daytona, then another brand watch probably wouldn't satisfy him much and it would be a waste of the 6k. Does he have a current watch that could be traded in to be put towards some of the daytona? Or perhaps banding around some friends and family to chip in for the watch too instead of individual presents. Alternatively I agree with getting another rolex for now, which can be traded in future for the daytona.