Which is the safer route for the seller? Bonz or straight to PP?

itzme

O.G.
Nov 4, 2006
I am currently selling a bag, which the buyer and I agreed to go through the transaction through Bonz. Then she opened the option to just bill her PP. As a seller, does making a transaction straight through PP open any risks for fraud? If I can decrease fees from Bonz (they don't really charge much any way), I don't mind saving a few bucks. If the buyer is for some reason unsatisfied with the bag, which route protects me more. I made it clear that the sale is final and I'm not taking returns. Any one have any thoughts on this?

Feb 4, 2009
Crown Town!
I only do direct Paypal transactions with a seller/buyer I know; (which to be honest is with one person.)
I would strongly recommend that you use Bonanza as the scope of protection has changed, and is similar to Ebay's.
I think when you strictly do Paypal invoices, you aren't covered as much as you would be had you done Bonanza/Ebay.

ladyisobel

Sarah
O.G.
Mar 22, 2006
Devon UK
I believe that Paypal has upped it's protection for off Ebay transactions, I THINK you can claim for SNAD as well as INR now. But really the risk is on the buyer anyway, so I'd probably go ahead.

Mar 3, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
FYI: my bf did a transaction on a car forum straight through paypal and the seller said it was good condition but it had discoloring and needed some plastic pieces to be glued back on. I helped him file on paypal for a SNAD and he got an auto response email saying that "Our investigation into your claim is complete. As stated in our User
Agreement, the claims process only applies to the shipment of goods. It
does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods
received. Therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a
refund. "

It's not safer for the buyer especially if you don't know the seller.

Minamiz

O.G.
Jan 25, 2010
I would use PP as a seller not as a buyer unless they were a "friend."

However sometimes complete strangers used to other forums (like a jeans one I'm thinking about) sell/buy exclusively through paypal so that has happened to me out of the blue that someone just sends money to my paypal acct.

Funny b/c she asked why she couldn't leave fb (good) on my acct. and I told her that she went outside of the auction......don't think she realized that.

Jun 25, 2008
If the buyer is not satisfied with the bag and wants to return it, she can reach an agreement with you to return it for a refund or open a SNAD dispute whether you sell it on or off Bonz.

I would do it through Bonz for the simple reason that I got to list it there for free, found a buyer thanks to the website, and Bonz's selling fees are low. So why mess with that? IMO, this kind of move is a bit like shoplifting kuz it ends up costing everyone else more $ when the websites end up having to raise prices/fees kuz of customers circumventing these fees.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
^^^ I agree. Bonz is so cheap that I certainly want to allow them to get whatever commissions they've earned by giving me the exposure that allowed the buyer to find my items.

Another benefit to selling through Bonz is that the listing will remain viewable for over a year. As a seller, I find it convenient because if I get another of that same item, I can relist it and save the time and work of having to prepare another listing from scratch.

Since preparing a listing can take an hour or more (start to finish), the time-saving of the "relist" feature is well worth the $1 to $10 it costs me to sell it on Bonz.