Which is the most classic/ Iconic Channel Bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minda

O.G.
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry if this topic has already been covered......

I am a relative newbie, and I am wondering which is Channel's mother of all classic/ iconic bag, and in which size? Just a throw back to Hermes, I would consider the Kelly, rather than the Birkin, Hermes' most iconic bag. What would Chanel's equivalent be?

Newbie me thinks it is a toss between:-

1. the Classic Flap in Black (M/L size); and

2. the Reissue Flap.

Given that the Reissue was only reintroduced back again in 2005 and not consistently available through the years, so maybe an extra point for the Classic Flap?

Would love to hear your thoughts...... and predictions....

There are several threads around this topic on here. Do a search. Here's one to help you decide: http://forum.purseblog.com/chanel/reissue-or-classic-flap-177776-23.html

I think it narrows down to personal preference. Both are iconic bags. You need both in your collection. Personally, I'd pick the reissue because it's the bag that started it all. To me, the birkin is more iconic than the kelly...again, it's a matter of opinion. You should try on both the flap & reissue at the boutique to see which you love more. Keep us posted.

The reissue is the original design, btw, thus the name. The classic flap came later. As for fave, it's a personal opinion kind-da thing as queenofchic stated.

For Hermes, the Kelly was first (well, after the bolide) and the Birkin followed later.

My first Chanel was given to me by my DH the first year we were married. It's a black medium lamb with gold hardware. It's still in excellent condition but I confess I've added many more classics and reissues to the collection (before I jumped to Hermes). Try the styles in different sizes and see what works for you.

The original 2.55

Attachments

• 1957 Coco  2 55 photo by Mike de Dulmen.jpg
    1957 Coco 2 55 photo by Mike de Dulmen.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 428
  • coco-chanel_photo.jpg
    coco-chanel_photo.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 334
  • 1959.jpg
    1959.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Chanel Suit & Bag 1961.jpg
    Chanel Suit & Bag 1961.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 468
  • Marie-Helene Arnaud 1959.jpg
    Marie-Helene Arnaud 1959.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 419
The reissue is the original design, btw, thus the name. The classic flap came later. As for fave, it's a personal opinion kind-da thing as queenofchic stated.

For Hermes, the Kelly was first (well, after the bolide) and the Birkin followed later.

My first Chanel was given to me by my DH the first year we were married. It's a black medium lamb with gold hardware. It's still in excellent condition but I confess I've added many more classics and reissues to the collection (before I jumped to Hermes). Try the styles in different sizes and see what works for you.

That's interesting because I *much prefer* the Kelly over the Birkin. I always thought it was the other way around...

Am going on gray matter on this. The Kelly was carried by Grace Kelly back in the 50s and the Birkin was designed for Jane and here's where I'm unsure of the decade but I'm going to say the 70s.
However, the Bolide precedes both by decades! (Nice bag too, w/shoulder strap option. Really under the radar.)

I'm sunk because I love reissues and the classics and in Hermes, love the look of the Kelly, the Birkin and Bolide equally. I hate fussing with trying to close the Kelly -- tis a bother; the option of the shoulder strap is nice. The B is easy in and out and you don't have to truss it up like a turkey unless one is in a crowded place, which I rarely am these days.

And if per chance I've got this wrong, someone will set me right :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.