Which is cheaper: Shopping in Milan vs Singapore?

jingga18

classic lover
Oct 13, 2010
Hi girls,

I'm going to Singapore in a couple of weeks and I was thinking to get either Chloe or Balenciaga (haven't decided yet, but I'm more inclined towards Bal at the moment). But I'm going to Milan April next year.

Is it cheaper to shop in Milan than Singapore? I live in Australia so either country will be way cheaper than in here anyway.

And can someone please advise where I should go in Milan?

Aren't designer goods crazily overpriced in Singapore? My guess is that Milan is a lot cheaper. However, you must be aware that the Euro is stronger than the Australian dollar.

Are they really expensive in Singapore? I always thought they're a lot cheaper than Aussie anyway. Yeah, but maybe that's because Aussie dollar is stronger than Singapore whereas Euro can be a whole other story.

Thanks anyway!

i think if you can find something in singapore for cheaper than you can get at home, buy it rather than wait - esp if it's a balenciaga since it may not be available by the time you go to milan. also, you get your taxes back at the airport when you leave the country.

For Balenciaga, Milan would be cheaper since you do get VAT refund. However, SS2011 bags are due to be in the stores any day now so if you go to Singapore and find a color and leather that you love, get it there as it probably will be all gone by the time you go to Milan in April. Having said that, in April, you just might be in time for FW2011 colors.

Just have to chime in, Singapore is not cheap. At all. It wasn't even cheap 5 years ago when the dollar was strong. I always found Italy to be cheaper, in almost every category.

my friend lived in singapore for a year and told me repeatedly that singapore is an expensive country. isn't it often referred to as the "pearl of asia?" it is an expensive pearl.