Which is better for ebay seller status?

aptmtb

O.G.
Sep 20, 2006
When comparing 2 ebay sellers:
Seller A has 100% feedback but only 20+ feedbacks
Seller B has over 600 feedbacks but 98.9% positive

Which seller would you go with (pretend all other factors are equal)?

Thanks!

The one with 600.

You said all other things being equal, but when I look at someone's ratings I look at the amount of their sales. If someone has 300+ cheap sales I would still go for the one with only a few high dollar sales, because what I tend to buy is expensive.

BUT since all other things are equal I would go with the one with more transactions. 98.9% on 600 is only 6 unhappy people. NOT bad!!!

I've bought from both types of sellers and have been very happy. It all depends on what they are selling as far as I am concerned. However, a seller with extremely bad feedback makes me move on quicker than lightening.

Me too. If it is a high end item I look for the nature of the neg feedback (sometimes its retaliatory or unreasonable) and if there is anything about misrepresentation I run fast. I may be very fussy but I double check anything less than 99%.

Alot of investigating is done before I choose.
Was the feedback from selling? Many times its for buying?
If its from buying, check to see if its what you are buying..maybe they just purchased it from Ebay and it wasn't good so they are reselling it!
What had they sold in the past?
If its what you are buying, did the person who bought the same exact thing leave positive feedback?
Why is the feedback not at a 100%?
Feedback which is negative for Shipping times compared to authenticy is HUGE!
I have a negative from me being the BUYER...not happy with a LOT of clothes so I gave the seller a neutral..she gives me a negative(I paid immediately, I should have gotten positive right then)but it wasn't for SELLING..and its hard to recover from one negative.
Check also the buyers feedbacks which purchased.
If the buyers who left feedback all have low feedback left for them..less than 10...
don't bid...more than often its freinds, themselves and people they get to bid on their items to build feedback.
I have a bunch more but I am writing a book now.
jonna

Seller B because of the $2,000 buyer protection.

Even though seller A has 100% feedack his less than 50 feedback gets me only $200 protection.

I didn't even realize the number where your protection goes up was 50. I just checked my auctions and I am covered for buyer protection up to $2000. Thanks for the info!!!!

Personally, I don't buy from, or sell to, anyone with feedback under 99.0 percent. I know it's kind of arbitrary, but the only two times I had horrible ebay experiences were with people with feedback under 99. One of them had sold like 13000 items. So I'd go with the one with less feedback.

Personally, I don't buy from, or sell to, anyone with feedback under 99.0 percent. I know it's kind of arbitrary, but the only two times I had horrible ebay experiences were with people with feedback under 99. One of them had sold like 13000 items. So I'd go with the one with less feedback.

Just curious...

Really? I have 98% feedback because one buyer left me a negative feedback after I filed an NPB on him and the second negative was because a seller incorrectly listed my shipping at $39 for Alaska and HI and wouldn't respond to e-mails to change it to the $15 listed in the auction. I was new to eBay so I didn't do a dispute for the neg, did it even exist 4 years ago? I never thought anyone wouldn't bid on my items because of that. Do you look at feedback at all?

*** As a seller how do you refuse to sell if a person with <99% bids? Do you just cancel the auction after or is there a way to actually block them initially?

That's pretty bad to generalize like that! Haven't you ever heard about retalitory feedback?!

I'm not just saying that because I have under 99% (I actually have a pretty high number with 100%). I just don't think it's a fair generalization.

I can't answer this, honestly, because I NEVER judge on feedback percentages alone. :nogood:

Either one of those sellers could be wonderful, or a complete nightmare.

The one with 20+ feedbacks might just be someone, genuinely, cleaning out their designer-filled closet and all of the 98.9% positive seller's negs could be retaliatory ones, possibly from bad sellers, as well as buyers and/or for silly things, like realistically high p&p [for good packaging and safe shipping methods], or the seller putting the correct value on customs forms).

Conversely, the 20+ one may be the new ID of a previously NARUed scammer and the all the negs of the 98.9% seller might be for sending fakes, nothing at all and/or SNAD items.

It's impossible to say, without taking ALL factors into consideration.

For the 600+ fb seller, I'd use Toolhaus, or Goofbay, to check out the reasons behind his negs and neutrals and for the 20+ seller, I'd want to know how long they had been a member and I'd probably contact them, if it hadn't been that long, to get a feel for what type of person they seemed to be.

In fact, assuming that neither seller seemed like a scammer (and so, you weren't already put off), I'd always advocate pre-sale contact, in any case, personally. :smile:

Sorry for the long answer to a short question, but very little in life is as simple as it may, at first, appear, unfortunately.

With respect, that could be a big mistake, as it takes just 1 (possibly retaliatory and/or from a bad buyer, or seller) neg to knock a seller with 99 feedbacks down below 99.0%; whereas, a 13000 feedback seller could have up to 137 negs and still have a feedback percentage of 99.0% and would need 138, or more, negs to bring him down to 98.9%! :wtf:

All of which could be for terrible things done to buyers! :s

This is because the fb percentage is only stated to 1 decimal place; meaning that it, increasingly, loses its accuracy for feedback scores over 1000.

Alot of investigating is done before I choose.
Was the feedback from selling? Many times its for buying?
If its from buying, check to see if its what you are buying..maybe they just purchased it from Ebay and it wasn't good so they are reselling it!
What had they sold in the past?
If its what you are buying, did the person who bought the same exact thing leave positive feedback?
Why is the feedback not at a 100%?
Feedback which is negative for Shipping times compared to authenticy is HUGE!
I have a negative from me being the BUYER...not happy with a LOT of clothes so I gave the seller a neutral..she gives me a negative(I paid immediately, I should have gotten positive right then)but it wasn't for SELLING..and its hard to recover from one negative.
Check also the buyers feedbacks which purchased.
If the buyers who left feedback all have low feedback left for them..less than 10...
don't bid...more than often its freinds, themselves and people they get to bid on their items to build feedback.
I have a bunch more but I am writing a book now.
jonna

All very good points. :tup:

eBay's a very tricky business...