Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

I used to follow a lot of influencers but unfollowed most of them maybe four years ago, for the reasons mentioned here (I realized I didn’t trust their recommendations anymore and I felt like watching their content was just like spending my time to watch an ad). I feel like my life is no worse because of it. I do appreciate that they provided content and inspiration during a time when it was relatively more difficult to find women of color in the media.

I love Eileen from Colorful Noir... she is a breath of fresh air. I like that she stays true to her style and aesthetic and preaches about luxury minimalism. She is grounded in reality and gives practical advice, making her my most trusted youtuber. I've become more mindful and less impulsive with bag shopping since watching her videos.

I've watched some of her videos, and she really is a breath of fresh air.

I love Eileen from Colorful Noir... she is a breath of fresh air. I like that she stays true to her style and aesthetic and preaches about luxury minimalism. She is grounded in reality and gives practical advice, making her my most trusted youtuber. I've become more mindful and less impulsive with bag shopping since watching her videos.

I really like Eileen as well, her videos are very calming and I feel she encourages responsible spending while at the same time admitting that it is ok to enjoy luxury in moderation. She also seems like a very kind person.

I think some of the other youtubers/influencers buy so much that I can imagine a young person feeling the need to keep up with them, and could easily be influenced to overspend. I think that is the real danger with getting sucked into influencer culture, it normalises excessive overconsumption. When I think about the amount of luxury unboxings and the sheer size of some influencers collections, bearing in mind some of them are very young 20s-30s, it is not really normal at all to spend 5-10K per month on luxury! I just wonder if the influencers who buy multiple Cartier, Van Cleef, Chanel along with Hermès every year really appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of each object.

On Instagram and YouTube, I follow:

@lydiajanetomlinson
@karenbritchick
@emmahill

I find them all to be honest and not pushy whatsover! Lydia and Emma have a very minimalist style and encourage you to re-use what you already have in your closet and how to restyle them different ways. Karen is someone I remember from back when TPF started and she was on the Balenciaga and RM forums...so she's been a long time 'influencer' ! All 3 of these women are from England and I could listen to them all day...love their accent!!

My fav influencer is Karenbritchick. The love she has for what she does is a genuine pleasure to take in. She is a talented stylist. Her wardrobe is a mix of lux, fast fashion, thrift and vintage and a her “where did you get that?” Street style videos are soooo good!

Mel solders is a close second. Mostly Because of her love of buying vintage And preloved. She has an eclectic collection and loves a bargain. She works in fashion and even though I don’t dress like her, I do love her style. And she’s Canadian!

Style Hard - she is funny! The content isn’t always for me because she talks a lot about current trends and I don’t really care about following trends but she is knowledgeable and Canadian!!!

Sometimes watch Je suis Lou and Sophie Shohet and I like them both but I am not so into content that is mainly about Chanel, LV, and Dior.

She’s been mentioned a few times already but for me, it would be Jaime Xie. Her style is a bit out there for me but I enjoy her commentary purely because her background makes it likely that it is genuine. In other words, she’s so wildly wealthy that she probably wouldn’t praise/use/care about something she was gifted unless she really liked it. It’s not like she needs any of these brands’ sponsorships in order to pay the bills.

In fact, I remember a video where she was going through a bunch of shopping bags and found something that a brand had gifted her. She simply said “oh I forgot about this” and then proceeded to not open it and just move on lol.

I'm not really sure who is or what is "an influencer" - I have a zero social media presence. I am in my fifties, but from what I can glean is that the more views they have that more money they get. It's big business truely based on nothing. Imo it is nothing but froth (but it must be a fantastic business model since people make so much money out of it...)

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and bubablu
You have to be so careful, I took recommendation of one I kind of trust (Leo_Lion) and ordered 3 Hermes lipsticks that she raved about a couple of times--what a mistake-there's an ingredient in them that irritates my lips, kind of burns lower lip-have call/email in to Hermes to see if I can return. One I never opened after trying balm and one of the colors......live and learn....!

You have to be so careful, I took recommendation of one I kind of trust (Leo_Lion) and ordered 3 Hermes lipsticks that she raved about a couple of times--what a mistake-there's an ingredient in them that irritates my lips, kind of burns lower lip-have call/email in to Hermes to see if I can return. One I never opened after trying balm and one of the colors......live and learn....!
[/QUOTE
Postscript- Hermès told me to send ‘them back, which I just did!

Reactions: Caisah