Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

Here is my updated list. The only major ones I somewhat trust at this point are:

Karenbritchick - Great content and great style. Great personality and love her streetstyle and vintage thrift videos. Stays faithfull to her style.

Peony Lim - Great style and great styling tips and actually delivers high quality content on her blog. Doesnt follow the usual cookie cutter 'I am an influencer'. Has actually worked with Chanel. I often browse her instagram account for inspiraation but would skip the ads. I guess I like her since she is more discreet and doesn't seem to be hoarding all designer stuff. She obviously has a great collection but stays faithfull to her style, mixing classic, vintage with high street trends.

Sophie Shonet - I admire the fact that she is a career woman and pays her purchases with her own money. I am wary with the sponsored content and I would usually skip those.

Cassie Thorpe - open and transparent and doesn't hide between 'I bought this with my money'. Yes she is loud but in a good perky way and is also adorable. Her style is not really for me but I don't mind. I usually skip ads and sponsored content.

Emma Anders - Career woman and bubbly. Is clearly into Dior and Chanel. These brands are not for me, but regardless of that I find her videos funny, entertaining and useful.

Thegeekischic - Is sadly not active currently and deleted her videos :sad: I love her content. Funny, but with a small dose of sassiness which I find refreshing since she is honest. I admire the fact that she is a career woman who works in the fashion industry.

I occasional browse smaller channels for reviews. Those are the ones I find most useful.

I hate to be negative. But some of the influencers mentioned here are practically sell outs for and have been caught at lying to the viewers. The constant begging for free stuff is appalling. I often wonder whether they actually like the product or just say positive nonsense in order to remain on the pr list. One major influencer received Mulberry mini alexa. She gushed about the alexa and the heritage and then the bag kind disappeared.... And later on bought a Birkin but instead of admitting that she worked with a consigner company, she lead the viewers thinking that she bought from the store. Like why? I don't see any with problem buying secondhand. Two influencers come into my mind that has promoted companies with a history of possible selling fakes...

Again nothing wrong with making money especially if you are a full time blogger/youtuber. But I require honesty and transparency in haul videos, ads, reviews etc.

Last edited:
Here is my updated list. The only major ones I somewhat trust at this point are:

I occasional browse smaller channels for reviews. Those are the ones I find most useful.

I hate to be negative. But some of the influencers mentioned here are practically sell outs for and have been caught at lying to the viewers. The constant begging for free stuff is appalling. I often wonder whether they actually like the product or just say positive nonsense in order to remain on the pr list. One major influencer received Mulberry mini alexa. She gushed about the alexa and the heritage and then the bag kind disappeared.... And later on bought a Birkin but instead of admitting that she worked with a consigner company, she lead the viewers thinking that she bought from the store. Like why? I don't see any with problem buying secondhand. Two influencers come into my mind that has promoted companies with a history of possible selling fakes...

Maybe they need an ‘Influencers you don’t trust’ thread, but I don’t know how you do that without devolving down to Hatin’ or a Slambook type thing.

I will say: there are a few people - unsure if they’re mentioned in this thread, but smaller than like Amelia Liana - whom I suspect have super fakes or a mix of replicas and the real thing in their collection. I wouldn’t normally care but when you are normalizing spending $10K in a week on discretionary purchases, and you don’t work some high flying career or even a paid job, I do side eye.

I also need to clarify my previous post that came out wrong since I made it look like I my favourites were 'sell outs'. This is not the the case. I think Sophie Shohet, Peony Lim, Karenbritchick, thegeekischic, Emma Anders and co are wonderful example of people doing their own thing and have found balance between blogging and living their own lives. My bag the post was worded well.

The dishonest influencers I referred to were others influencers who were mentioned in earlier posts made by others. I won't name these influencers for obvious reasons.

I think there can be a healthy balance working as a full time blogger/digital content creator/influencer. It's just that some of them in my opinion lacks the creativity of let's say Alexa Chung, a style Icon at this point. I know not everybody can be Alexa, but still. The courting of brands can be a bit excessive while trying to stay somewhat relatable to their audience.

Reactions: ijustneedthis
Maybe they need an ‘Influencers you don’t trust’ thread, but I don’t know how you do that without devolving down to Hatin’ or a Slambook type thing.

Yeah true. I don't know how it can be done without this thread turning into Guru Gossip or Tattle. I know they exist for the purpose of gossiping. I think purseforum should remain as a safe place for everybody. One can be critical without being too brutal.

Last edited:
Yeah true. I don't know how it can be done without this thread turning into Guru Gossip or Tattle. I know they exist for the purpose of gossiping. I think purseforum should remain as a safe place for everybody. One can be critical without being too brutal.

Yeaaaah. I didn't want to mention GG and give them any extra press; I don't want this to become ugly but some of the raves (and the critiques) of certain influencers here has had me scratching my head.

I will say: I don't love how conspicuous the consumption has become with luxury YouTubers; and I do find especially over COVID, it seems to be the same bags over and over and over again - Chanel 19, a Birkin, and then the ad campaigns like the LV Pont 9 earlier in 2020. It genuinely feels like some of them are in competition with each other. I find myself a bit turned off of most luxe/handbag YouTubers and have just started Youtubing the EXACT purse I'm interested in; but not really subscribing to these people as much anymore.

I know EXACTLY who inspired this example lol :happydance:
I think I know, but not sure. It’s so hard to see what products are legit bc they are getting paid big bucks to promote. I just started following an influencer that talks about skin care and watches videos on ppl’s facial routines. Some of her recs I’d like to try, but I have a closet full of things I wasted my money on so I can’t always trust the influencers.

One of the more popular influencers who is young (aren’t they all) with an adorable young family I purchase some of her recs bc it’s food related, but her page is a lifestyle brand. She doesn’t focus on one thing to promote.

I miss the Geek is Chic so much. Her videos were great, and I appreciated her more minimalist approach. Every other video was not a haul video and then you never saw the item again on her YouTube or Instagram. I hope that she is well. Her last YouTube community post (or maybe it was Instagram) referenced taking a break for health reasons.

I am not one to “trust” YouTube/Insta influencers much, but I’d say, if they come up with a Sanreve bag, and claim to LOVE it, time to question that trust.

Totally agree! Cassie Thorpe is the only influencer I know who has publicly said she does not like the bag. Much respect to her! Alyssa Lenore also seems to have refused to advertise for the bag. Instead she chose some other accessories on their website that were super vanilla. These 2 make me feel like at least they are not selling their souls for the $$

Has anyone seen Isabelle's Style's latest video? I use to really like her and now I am just irritated by her. She goes on and on about having a curated bag collection but then makes up batshit crazy excuses as to why she needs another bag constantly. Her latest video states she needed a Chanel 19 to wear with her gym clothes because it's a "casual medium size bag". Absolutely nuts.

Has anyone seen Isabelle's Style's latest video? I use to really like her and now I am just irritated by her. She goes on and on about having a curated bag collection but then makes up batshit crazy excuses as to why she needs another bag constantly. Her latest video states she needed a Chanel 19 to wear with her gym clothes because it's a "casual medium size bag". Absolutely nuts.

I really liked her videos and then I noticed she was receiving free things to review. I knew that she has a decent paying job so she would be paying for the bags and not just handed them.

I am really surprised with the amount of handbags and luxury purchases that are reviewed by some youtubers. How does one afford to have so many?! I have a relatively high paying job and I would find it hard to justify paying $10K+ per month on luxury items. Sometimes I feel like I'm really failing in life when I see the amount of $$$ spent on lux.

I search for specific products that I want to buy, in order to give me a better idea on wear and tear and thus value for me.

I am really surprised with the amount of handbags and luxury purchases that are reviewed by some youtubers. How does one afford to have so many?! I have a relatively high paying job and I would find it hard to justify paying $10K+ per month on luxury items. Sometimes I feel like I'm really failing in life when I see the amount of $$$ spent on lux.

I search for specific products that I want to buy, in order to give me a better idea on wear and tear and thus value for me.

I agree. I don't understand how some of them can buy luxury items so frequently. It's not just luxury handbags, it's luxury everything, luxury paint, luxury furniture, etc. I earn a relatively good salary, but watching these videos makes me think I should get a side hussle to supplement my shopping, but I can't because of my hours, but also even if I did most side hustles will not be enough to cover the costs of luxury items unless I become a successful YouTube or Instagram influencer, which isn't my scene.

Don’t feel bad! But all this.

It’s really easy for some of these people to buy the next new it-bag from Chanel, when there’s false scarcity, and you have a built in audience from your YouTube channel to sell to at a premium. It’s a big problem they have a 20+ page thread in under the Chanel forum.

There are at least two woman I’ve casually watched videos from, and I genuinely think they’re mixing in superfakes with authentics. Not to be rude because I know some are super-sleuths here but from a quick flash in a vlog/haul, how many are eagle eyed enough to call out one those mirror replicas?

Reactions: limom