Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

I have never understood the whole appeal of unboxing videos. Vicarious living, maybe? Why not get something you own or do a swap with a friend, have them wrap prettily it for you and open it? Voila! Non-vicarious thrill!

Maybe it’s me, since I buy things for form, function, quality and longevity....whether it’s wrapped in tissue, ribbon and has a fancy box means nothing to me and will matter even less after you had a bag for a year or two. Initial impressions are just that....initial impressions. A cheap plastic bag can have a great initial impression, but how will it look next year? I want to know how something will wear, especially if I am spending a lot of money. I want value. I don’t wear the tissue, ribbon or box!
Ditto. I tend to like the 2 year wear/tear or 5 year wear/tear handbag videos b/c those are true owners of the bag and they will KNOW about the bag and the pros/cons. Owning a bag for 1 day or even 1 month - not a great way to judge it at all. You need to be using the bag regularly for a quality review, of anything, really. I like unboxing videos in most categories, especially electronics, to see what you are supposed to get inside the box and how the item should come packaged, with like accessories and such. I don't care one bit for unboxings of bags or accessories.

I found Kelly Jane on YouTube even before I registered for this site, and I really enjoyed her content. But I just went to pull up her channel on YouTube. All her videos are gone, and her channel says that it has no content. Does anyone know what happened? Did she ever make a video (or post elsewhere), saying that she was deleting?

She had mentioned that she worked in finance. I wonder if her main job had anything to do with her deleting all her content.
I also miss her.

Ditto. I tend to like the 2 year wear/tear or 5 year wear/tear handbag videos b/c those are true owners of the bag and they will KNOW about the bag and the pros/cons. Owning a bag for 1 day or even 1 month - not a great way to judge it at all. You need to be using the bag regularly for a quality review, of anything, really. I like unboxing videos in most categories, especially electronics, to see what you are supposed to get inside the box and how the item should come packaged, with like accessories and such. I don't care one bit for unboxings of bags or accessories.
I do understand your point of view, but I kind of disagree to some extent, just based on my own buying habits (which are 100% online these days).

Before buying any handbags, I now search on YouTube to see if there is a video on the bag because if I am contemplating a purchase, I kind of want to see a video from someone who shows you the interior structure, a full 360 and what actually fits (which is so often keyed off of structure and flexibility even more than dimensions). For example, I was toying with the idea of buying a certain bag and really wanted to know if the strap was detachable (something impossible to tell from the website). Someone I follow on YouTube had purchased it and posted that it was not. Decision made! Or sometimes the colors of bags on the website look a bit different than a bag in the wild, so I want to get that real life perspective.

I don’t really care if they haven’t put the bag through its paces yet because by the time they do, the product may (probably will) no longer be available at retail. Plus, the boxes and wrappings can be cute to take a look at.

I’m always mindful of the fact that people who were gifted bags or even who got the bag at a discount because they got it through a promoted retailer partnership are not going to be objective. But I just view first impressions videos as another form of window shopping.

I just found this thread and love it! I'm also a fan of Sophie Shohet, The Geek is Chic, Isabelle's Style and Emma Anders. I'm 49 and not slim, so I relate to the comment about most influencers being under 38 and not wearing above a size 6. I almost want to start my own YouTube channel just to offer that perspective - yet I feel I'm more in need of the advice than in a place to give it. For YouTubers closer to my age, I like Have Louis Will Travel and Busbee Style. They're still younger than me, but I relate to them most.

Others I enjoy - Justine Leconte officiel, Audrey Coyne and Kelly Jane.
Do you know what happened to Kelly Jane’s YouTube channel? Her videos are gone.

I follow a few but no one has ever held enough sway for me to buy something and I always make sure to never click on any links that give kickbacks. They are all glorified saleswomen. I figured if I sit through a YouTube ad/ads, I’ve done my part.

The only youtubers that influence me are the ones that make their own in terms of sewing. It inspires me to do my own alterations. I watch withwendy, coolirpa.

There are 2 youtubers that I believe have career backgrounds in fashion and that’s Justine Leconte and Zoe Hong.

The few that may push products that I watch are KarenBritChick (you can genuinely see just how much she loves something and she does buy the occasional luxury items and also like the fact she’s a bit on the older side); Chloe Wen (she’s mainly a thrifter and not luxury based but is a Glossier Rep and fairly honest that this is her hustle and building her own brand); Alyssa Beltempo (not luxury based but will occasionally work with brands though tends to push the shop your own closet).

May I also add: I hate fashion bloggers that go on to have babies and then use their babies to shill products. I don’t care if you are pimping yourself out but when you pull your kids and expose them to the world, they never got a chance to say yes or no.

Last edited:
I found Kelly Jane on YouTube even before I registered for this site, and I really enjoyed her content. But I just went to pull up her channel on YouTube. All her videos are gone, and her channel says that it has no content. Does anyone know what happened? Did she ever make a video (or post elsewhere), saying that she was deleting?

She had mentioned that she worked in finance. I wonder if her main job had anything to do with her deleting all her content.
I also wonder what happened to her. I really liked the videos she made looking into the financial background of various luxury brands. I wish she had made a final video explaining why she was deleting all her videos from YouTube so we wouldn't be left wondering what happened to her and if she was okay.

Last edited:
Reactions: QueenieQ and keodi
Another Sophie Shohet Fan here! I also do love Chase Amie:heart:.

For actual blogs I do love Extra Petite @jeanwang

On instagram I follow Laura Beverlin but only because I like watching her renovate her beautiful house. All her posts are about the clothing she is wearing and where you can buy it which im not a fan of. She also sometimes promotes inspired/knockoff items sometimes which i hate :sick::sick:. I will prob delete her after her house renovations are done lol.

Well... one I recommended recently as she was one of the only people to showcase a product(s) in question within a title of a thread (in a different designer forum) and seemed trustworthy. Mainly, I think that was because she a) was genuinely interested in the products for herself and b) she spent her own money on them.

I noticed after my posting she immediately get a huge PR gift from the brand in question and now has sponsorship from another brand I mentioned her in an article somewhere else (again, for her honest opinions). Almost at once I could see slight change her behaviour, the annoying regularity of ads before, during and after each vid...and so now I'm keeping my big mouth shut about my go-to beauty reviewers.

I don't begrudge the PR products or sponsorships but let's not kid ourselves that YT, TkTk or Insta influencers basically don't end-up being advertorial once they reach a certain level.

This is my long-winded way of me saying since no one's paying me, most influencers can kick-start their own careers without my help. It also shows the power of tPF should never be underestimated!

Now having said that I will make an exception because do like John Mclean because he's wonderful at makeup, has so much personality with zero vulgarity. He has no time for anything he doesn't like including trends:

I also have always enjoyed Fumi Desalu Vold because she buys Hermes and Zara with equal pleasure and is so much fun without ever being patronising or vulgar - but she was a model and she is a commercial brand so I have no illusions. Some of her quotes are priceless though " I love colour because of what colour can do for me!" She's so old' school and the lady I'm not, I really just watch her for watching her sake, Vogue is not nearly as entertaining (at least not any more).

I truly love Fumi Desalu Vold. She is open and honest and a woman who... Loves. Loves. LOVES color...as much as I do. I also love hearing her talk to Adrian and Ole! She is so bubbly and down to earth and takes the time to respond to her subscribers!

I noticed after my posting she immediately get a huge PR gift from the brand in question and now has sponsorship from another brand I mentioned her in an article somewhere else (again, for her honest opinions). Almost at once I could see slight change her behaviour, the annoying regularity of ads before, during and after each vid...and so now I'm keeping my big mouth shut about my go-to beauty reviewers.

I don't begrudge the PR products or sponsorships but let's not kid ourselves that YT, TkTk or Insta influencers basically don't end-up being advertorial once they reach a certain level.

Okay I kinda want to know who this influencer is lol.

But in all seriousness though, I think it's disappointing to see so many luxury influencers ending up being an add for some brand or company.

Now having said that I will make an exception because do like John Mclean because he's wonderful at makeup, has so much personality with zero vulgarity. He has no time for anything he doesn't like including trends:

Your description of John Mclean is spot on. One of the classiest makeup guru/artist on youtube.

I can’t find any influencer I like or trust anymore...

I use to follow Chase Amie but I find her so boring now... always buying the same bags in the same colors. Claims to love something yet will go on to return it. Absolutely nothing “wow” about her style nor is her personality/life very interesting. Every outfit and new bag is a boring as the last.

There are many influencers I use to love that I can’t even watch anymore. I feel once someone gets a large following they totally change and are all about the sponsors and latest gifted products instead of honest reviews and styling/skincare advice.
For example:
I followed Chriselle Lim “Your Rich Mom” for a while and loved her but then she got famous on TikTok/Instagram... now she gets gifted thousands of dollars worth of bags and clothing from Dior/Louis Vuitton/Balmain/Fendi/etc. So instead of styling herself and giving tips she just throws on these gorgeous clothes and bags and takes pictures.

I just feel everything related to influencers is so fake and edited. They all put up a facade. A part of me may be jealous too of all the free stuff they get haha!
I pretty much stick to watching House Wives now.

Last edited:
I can’t find any influencer I like or trust anymore...

I use to follow Chase Amie but I find her so boring now... always buying the same bags in the same colors. Claims to love something yet will go on to return it. Absolutely nothing “wow” about her style nor is her personality/life very interesting. Every outfit and new bag is a boring as the last.

There are many influencers I use to love that I can’t even watch anymore. I feel once someone gets a large following they totally change and are all about the sponsors and latest gifted products instead of honest reviews and styling/skincare advice.
For example:
I followed Chriselle Lim “Your Rich Mom” for a while and loved her but then she got famous on TikTok/Instagram... now she gets gifted thousands of dollars worth of bags and clothing from Dior/Louis Vuitton/Balmain/Fendi/etc. So instead of styling herself and giving tips she just throws on these gorgeous clothes and bags and takes pictures.

I just feel everything related to influencers is so fake and edited. They all put up a facade. A part of me may be jealous too of all the free stuff they get haha!
I pretty much stick to watching House Wives now.

I follow both Amie and Chriselle. Chriselle was super famous before Tiktok - she has been a multimillion dollar worth influencer for years now.