Which influencers do you really trust recommendations from?

Muffin_Top

Better right now than never.
Sep 2, 2019
France
I only watch one influencer, about every 2 months : Colorful Noir.
I share her tastes in accessories and she gives wise financial advice.
Which seems rather uncommon when I see the video suggestions on youtube.
However, the less you purchase the less topics you have for your channel.

pquiles

O.G.
Jun 28, 2006
San Antonio, TX
I don’t think one can really ‘trust’ an influencer. I mean they get paid don’t they? It’s basically consuming constant marketing. By all means we can check out their suggestions if it suits our budget and lifestyle—but trust them ?
Hi Lady Sarah… I hope this helps⤵
I understand your point of view; and, I am sure it’s grounded in your experience; however as an influencer for the past 2 years I have NOT & will NOT lie… my integrity, my Brand and remaining authentic to my Tribe is important to me.

My niche is luxury Fragrance & a little Beauty and I make it clear if a post is Affiliated, collaborative sponsorship & if I make a commission off sales.

Of course, I can only speak for myself r/t “Payments” I don’t always get paid for my recommendations & reviews. In fact I purchased 95+% of what I review and the brands very rarely recognize my work to put on their socials… so I’m not really reaping any benefits. In fact I’m operating at a significant deficit when your do the analysis of time, money, products needed to put out a decent video. I love sharing so I continue, but at some point it would be nice to be recognized for the hard work I put in

pquiles

O.G.
Jun 28, 2006
San Antonio, TX
Seconded! I adore her almost gospel preach/sermon type videos! She's talking about fashion but somehow encouraging me to change my life, wild and so unique. She made 1-2 recently and they were so good. Also her background is as a lawyer so again - very articulate and well-spoken. Really hope she continues with the channel because ik she has a real job so it may not be as easy for her to be on a schedule like the rest - but really wish her the best!!

Also, I like that she also buys luxury RTW - so few youtubers do, and I definitely understand that not everyone has it like that, but it's so refreshing to see people appreciating the craftsmanship of something other than bags, iykwim!
I love watching her and reading her blogs. Designer RTW can seem unachievable for those who were financially hot with the pandemonium the last 2 years. I love classic pieces, but I think I’m going through a moody mid life thing… cuz I keep buying tight A**body con clothes trying to look sexy. I don’t want to look my age!

beacuz

Jun 14, 2018
I randomly came across this thread and thought it was interesting. I don't watch a ton of youtube anymore unless I'm researching a specific bag/item or a how-to video here or there, but I have seen some videos from those first 4 women you mentioned. I don't care for any of them, especially 1,2, and 4. They seem like carbon copies of each other and very disingenuous. I've come across Chase Amie on several occasions for bag reviews, but haven't really watched anything else because her voice just drones on and I can't listen to it for very long.
I'm not a hardcore minimalist, but I do believe that less is more and their over-consumption is exhausting.

I like Sophie Shohet for the most part, but I have noticed that she is starting to show Senreve and Coach bags, and you know full well she doesn't actually use those. They only seem to be shown when there's a partnership. There's nothing wrong with having a sponsored video here and there, but I lose trust when a youtuber is shilling a bag that they would never actually wear/buy in real life.
As I've adopted more minimalist principles/intentional shopping into my life, I find that Colourful Noir and Caitlin Pawlowski's shift into buying less/ignoring influencers has been very refreshing.
Lastly, she's not an influencer, but I find that Bee Rachael does pretty good bag reviews and seems genuine.
As far as Sophie goes, she purchased from Senreve with her own money too. She genuinely likes the brand - I think some do. I have followed Sophie for years. She likes what she likes and in my opinion has a unique fashion sense and I could see her liking Senreve and Coach. I believe she has the Cassie that looks like the Pochette Métis- I do believe she tries to bring in different price points for her followers. I venture to say that You Tube is not paying for her fancy cars or Chanel, Dior obsessions- I suspect she likes the look and quality because Sophie will wear a sweater she knit with jeans from Zara with a Chanel handbag that adorns a DIY handle and a Hello Kitty thingamabob hanging on it too. Sophie does Sophie and she is very generous with her giveaways.

ElectricBoots

Jan 31, 2018
As far as Sophie goes, she purchased from Senreve with her own money too. She genuinely likes the brand - I think some do. I have followed Sophie for years. She likes what she likes and in my opinion has a unique fashion sense and I could see her liking Senreve and Coach. I believe she has the Cassie that looks like the Pochette Métis- I do believe she tries to bring in different price points for her followers. I venture to say that You Tube is not paying for her fancy cars or Chanel, Dior obsessions- I suspect she likes the look and quality because Sophie will wear a sweater she knit with jeans from Zara with a Chanel handbag that adorns a DIY handle and a Hello Kitty thingamabob hanging on it too. Sophie does Sophie and she is very generous with her giveaways.
This!!! I love Sophie so much but sometimes I do question her clothing choices. Those knit sweaters :wtf:

ElectricBoots

Jan 31, 2018
I don't get Sophie's clothing choices either! Tops are way too tight, fancy pants with tennis shoes, etc. She tends to drag things out and I lose interest, I don't think I've ever gotten through one of her videos. David, David, David, David;)
I do love her (and I wont lie I love her and David's relationship). I think she isway less fake and vapid than a lot of influencers which is why I keep watching her. Honestly, though, I have not found many influencers whose styled I loved. They are mostly boring carbon copies of one another. At least Sophie is pleasing herself.

May 16, 2020
I'm watching Xiaoma Picks lately. Maybe she can't really be regarded as an influencer as she's the owner of Ginza Xiaoma, showcasing and recommendating her inventories. Although her videos are in mandarin they were english subs and she gave very insightful knowledge and everything on hermes. She made me stop buying other brands. Hence she is an influencer in my own regards.:biggrin:
I came across her Ginza Xiaoma on insta, how does she have so many hermes bags for sale? Does she work for hermes? Sorry if it's a dumb question....